Re: Life Advice

Postby Sims on Tue 12/Jul/16 8:01pm

Bare in mind that "fun to drive" isn't always what you think. Was my Mazda MPS turbo fun to drive? God yes! Good fun chasing down V8s, for sure. We replaced it wth a Suzuki Swift Sport when we got a mortgage. The swift is a different kind of fun. Its small, nimble and rev happy. Its great fun chasing the limiter on a twisty piece of road. If you biff it into a corner it'll still lift off over steer like the original hot hatchs would. More importantly, it runs on the smell of an oily rag and I've been able to do all the servicing myself.

Currently we have a Audi A4 S-line wagon. Its a different beast again. Much faster than the swift, but quieter and nice to cruise in. She turns in well and corners flat - But in it's heart is a fast tourer, not a racer. Perfect for long hauling bikes down to Rotorua.

The moral of the story is that... No car is perfect, but every car can be fun. You should allow your circumstances to dictate the car you purchase. Think it through and pick the best option for your present moment. If you love cars, this won't be the last you buy - Just another chapter
Sims
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 12/Jul/16 9:00pm

Percy Pig wrote:Its currently averaging 12.4 l/100,

Wow. That's exactly double the long term average (6.2L/100km) of my 4wd tdi wagon. I can drive from Central Otago to Nelson on a single tank.

I don't understand the worshipping of wringing an engine out to high revs though. I prefer good midrange punch. My tdi is knocking on around 400Nm at 2000rpm. Climbs all open road hills at 100 in 6th gear. Provided you can safely take the hill at 100km/h of course. Some get a bit tight and twisty.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby nolzey on Tue 12/Jul/16 9:40pm

Anyone have any thoughts about Audi a4 or a6 wagons? I quite like the look of them and they seem like a good competitor to a legacy..not sure if I want to go euro though, especially something 10-16 years old & euro. Same thing with a 325 beema wagon, any thoughts?
nolzey
Member for: 3 years 0 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 12/Jul/16 9:48pm

nolzey wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about Audi a4 or a6 wagons? I quite like the look of them and they seem like a good competitor to a legacy..not sure if I want to go euro though, especially something 10-16 years old & euro. Same thing with a 325 beema wagon, any thoughts?

A4 doesn't have as much room in the boot as you expect. They taper in a lot.

A6 is a decent size but engines can be horrible on fuel. The petrol v6 turbo has v8 range rover fuel economy and the older v6 diesel had cam shaft wear issues.

The 3 litre tdi is a fantastic engine but the price reflects that.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 12/Jul/16 9:53pm

nolzey wrote:Same thing with a 325 beema wagon, any thoughts?

Bimmer, scrub.

Depends on the chassis.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 12/Jul/16 10:26pm

philstar wrote:
Conners wrote:I'm struggling to think of a question to which "buy a legacy wagon"'isn't the right answer :ib: :eh:

I have 3 legacy wagons which one should i sell?

The slowest one. :D
Dougal wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:Its currently averaging 12.4 l/100,

Wow. That's exactly double the long term average (6.2L/100km) of my 4wd tdi wagon. I can drive from Central Otago to Nelson on a single tank.

I don't understand the worshipping of wringing an engine out to high revs though. I prefer good midrange punch. My tdi is knocking on around 400Nm at 2000rpm. Climbs all open road hills at 100 in 6th gear. Provided you can safely take the hill at 100km/h of course. Some get a bit tight and twisty.

The Leggy has the midrange as well, useful boost arrives at 2500rpm, and it'll hold 1.1 bar from 3500 all the way to 7500.
Couple of wee hose tweaks and careful adjustment of the secondary turbo actuation gubbins and it has almost no "VOD" (Valley Of Death) between turbo's.
Mind you, most of the time you don't even need the secondary turbo, even on the open road... it is fun though. :cool:

It is thirsty when hooning though, theoretically it'll empty the tank in 18ish minutes at full power!
Mind you you'd be doing about 250kph quite quickly, and that's a loooong straight road!
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Tue 12/Jul/16 10:37pm

Percy Pig wrote:
philstar wrote:
Conners wrote:I'm struggling to think of a question to which "buy a legacy wagon"'isn't the right answer :ib: :eh:

I have 3 legacy wagons which one should i sell?

The slowest one. :D

so not "buy a legacy wagon" then
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby EoinC on Wed 13/Jul/16 12:00am

nolzey wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about Audi a4 or a6 wagons? I quite like the look of them and they seem like a good competitor to a legacy..not sure if I want to go euro though, especially something 10-16 years old & euro. Same thing with a 325 beema wagon, any thoughts?

I had a 2015 A4 when I was living in Singapore, and for a while was driving up to KL and back every week. Nice car to drive. Had a 2014 VW Passat before that, which was more comfy, but not quite as nice to drive. Currently driving an Ovlov S60, which is fine around the chaos of KL.
My wife has a 325 wagon down in Perth, having totaled the diesel 300C she had before. It's a solid little car, but not overly exciting.
EoinC
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Wed 13/Jul/16 8:19am

Percy Pig wrote:Couple of wee hose tweaks and careful adjustment of the secondary turbo actuation gubbins and it has almost no "VOD" (Valley Of Death) between turbo's.
Mind you, most of the time you don't even need the secondary turbo, even on the open road... it is fun though. :cool:

When I had mine I treated the VOD as a bit of an insurance policy - gives you a split second reminder to think "do I really want/need to keep my boot in this"
You know you're moving quick if when you can shift and not let the revs drop below 3500 and stay clear of the VOD - redline in 2nd gear makes for an easy shift to 3rd at 100kph - and then its all on :satan:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby mfw on Wed 13/Jul/16 7:06pm

I've been mulling a new car for a while, probably not got the same budget as nolzey but similar requirements, kids have just grown out of their car seats so as an ex-petrol head it would be nice to ditch sensible and get something fun again :D

Always liked the idea of a street sleeper or Q-car, partly for this reason:
nolzey wrote:I do love my skyline, it is heaps of fun but I hate the negative stigma attached to driving them

so what's the most understated but fun (e.g. manual box / rear wheel drive) car that can carry bikes for around $5k?
mfw
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 13/Jul/16 7:18pm

e39 touring :love:

Manual ones are like hens teeth though.
AgrAde

Postby mfw on Wed 13/Jul/16 7:59pm

1995 Audi A6 E V6 Q Avant?

hmm, only 148bhp so no rocketship
mfw

Postby AgrAde on Wed 13/Jul/16 8:50pm

AgrAde wrote:e39 touring :love:
AgrAde

mfw

Postby AgrAde on Thu 14/Jul/16 1:09am

Yeah, seen the odd manual 530i for sale but yeah they're rare. The 3L is a much better engine than the 2.8. The v8 ones (540i) are less aerodynamic, fair bit heavier and have a different design steering rack which isn't as good. So 530i is the one to own really.
AgrAde

Cars | Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Motoring | Racks | Sifting - Latest Posts