Re: Life Advice

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 11/Jul/16 6:46pm

nolzey wrote:All very split feedback!

I would love a twin turb legacy (or even a newer 2004-2005) with the twin-scroll single turbo but I think while i'm at university having a turbo is a bit unfeasible, and i've heard the twin turbo editions especially are monsters on petrol! I'm currently looking at N/A 2.0R Legacys with a manual transmission (somewhat rare). I like the look of them and the space is appealing for taking around friends, surfboards and bikes throughout summer.

Other options would be a Hilux surf or a truck along the lines, but not sure if I want to venture to the dark side (diesel)

To the fella suggesting a Stagea, I would love one! But hate the look of the sub 2000 models, and being an arrogant enthusiast I would like to stay in a manual car with the 2000-205 models are impossible/difficult to find in manual.

I do love my skyline, it is heaps of fun but I hate the negative stigma attached to driving them. I'm not overly interested in being an 'anti social road user' and would prefer to head to the track when I can. Therefore my priorities over summer won't be burnouts and driving 15 year olds to McDonalds, I'd rather adventure, surf and check out trails around New Zealand. Reading this it seems like I have my mind made up but damn it is difficult coming to grips with parting with a car that you love!

I have a twin turbo Legacy, and while its not that flash on petrol, its not as bad as some people think.
Its a lot better than my old V8 Valiant anyway!
Its currently averaging 12.4 l/100, which includes a day of hooning at Ruapuna whcih bumped things up to 26.5 l\100!!
On the open road it'll do 10 l/100 easily, even with some.. ahh... enthusiastic overtaking... :paranoid:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 11/Jul/16 7:58pm

I thought my bimmer was bad! :p 11.3L/100k average, 8.6 open road, 7.6 drafting a truck all the way to Timaru :paranoid:

I took a trip in a turbo diesel golf with a 7sp dsg box that put efficiency in perspective... Three guys and heaps of luggage in the car, three bikes on the back, went from Rotovegas to Napier averaging 5.6L/100k, hills and all.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 11/Jul/16 9:08pm

Don't forget there's a subaru tax payable each time the car needs a service... :paranoid:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby nolzey on Mon 11/Jul/16 10:20pm

It's really not the petrol it's just an 18 year old in a turbo car is expensive to insure... Plus the old's aren't too keen on another turbo. Hmmm.
nolzey
Member for: 3 years 0 months

Postby 13daza on Mon 11/Jul/16 10:31pm

Subaru have sponsored me into many things over the last thirty years I've been repairing cars Lol

Id love to say that this car or that car are better but they all have their ups and downs ,my advice would be that the best car for you at any moment in your life is going to be the car that does what you need it to do without costing you too much on the way ,when it stops being practical or starts costing too much get something that is suitable and within your means to run and maintain (unless you're rich, then you can have as many toys as you wish). It is very easy to get attached to a car I don't recommend allowing yourself to become attached in any way other than a seat belt ,it can lead to all manner of financial ruin and heartbreak lol .
Oh and unless you know a shitload about cars get a decent mechanic to check it over properly BEFORE you hand over the cash you'd be amazed how many folks rock up to the shop to get the lemon they've just brought checked out .

None of this advice of course applies to bikes ,you should own as many bikes as you are allowed and can store ,it is recommended to be attached to your bikes. they should only be sold (reluctantly) to fund the purchase of superior bikes.

Seriously though the best life advice I have ever had came from my Gran

"life is short ,you should live large you only do it once so make it worthwhile ,take time to enjoy every day cause you never know whats going to happen tomorrow ,do the things that make you happy because thats what makes life worthwhile and have lots and lots of sex because sex is awesome (but use protection otherwise you'll have a pile of kids like me)"

True story this was the advice I got while visiting her with my first serious girlfriend .
My Gran was a unique soul with six kids and twenty nine grand kids, by the time she passed a few years ago she had thirty six great grand kids as well ..... we all got the same speech over the years - some of us may not have been listening to the end bit ;)
13daza
Member for: 5 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 12/Jul/16 9:04am

slidecontrol wrote:Don't forget there's a subaru tax payable each time the car needs a service... :paranoid:

Do it yourself, I can do the oil and filter, clean/ re-oil the air filter, and check all the other fluids and gubbins in under an hour.
And I'm old and broken! :p
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 12/Jul/16 10:07am

danose wrote:3.0R legagy - cos ci beats psi any day :p

Lol, I remember the awkward silence a few years ago in Canada when I was talking to my brother in law about his Z06 and his nephew walks up and starts going on about his 'mates' GTR and how fast it was.
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 12/Jul/16 10:20am

Comes looking for life advice, get's told to buy a Legacy wagon.

Only on Vorb.....
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Tue 12/Jul/16 1:20pm

I'm struggling to think of a question to which "buy a legacy wagon"'isn't the right answer :ib: :eh:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby philstar on Tue 12/Jul/16 1:53pm

Conners wrote:I'm struggling to think of a question to which "buy a legacy wagon"'isn't the right answer :ib: :eh:

I have 3 legacy wagons which one should i sell?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Tue 12/Jul/16 1:58pm

nolzey wrote:
I do love my skyline, it is heaps of fun but I hate the negative stigma attached to driving them. I'm not overly interested in being an 'anti social road user' and would prefer to head to the track when I can. Therefore my priorities over summer won't be burnouts and driving 15 year olds to McDonalds, I'd rather adventure, surf and check out trails around New Zealand. Reading this it seems like I have my mind made up but damn it is difficult coming to grips with parting with a car that you love!

If capitol is not too much of a problem (given you have a skyline this my be true), you could get a a restoration rego for the skyline keep it as a track day car (insure for theft only or something) and buy something cheap and practical that can tow the skyline on a trailer untill you are no longer a student (and cashflow is less of an issue).
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 12/Jul/16 2:53pm

Conners wrote:I'm struggling to think of a question to which "buy a legacy wagon"'isn't the right answer :ib: :eh:

Should I buy a legacy wagon or a mint condition manual 2007ish Outback wagon?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby scatter on Tue 12/Jul/16 2:55pm

happybaboon wrote:

Legacy.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Tue 12/Jul/16 3:34pm

scatter wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

Legacy.

See - it's that simple.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 12/Jul/16 5:50pm

I have always fancied a Nissan GTR, one day i may get one but i keep telling myself how impractical/uncomfortable it would be driving round Chch and i am sure to just keep getting speeding tickets as you don't buy a car like to pootle round like an old fart.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Cars | Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Motoring | Racks | Sifting - Latest Posts