Liat Okin - Missing Israeli's Body Found

Postby Tama on Fri 16/May/08 11:28am

http://www.scene.co.nz/content/queensto ... aking.aspx wrote:THE body of missing Israeli woman Liat Okin has finally been found near the Routeburn Track – just hours before the last search for her was due to be called off, Mountain Scene can reveal.

Three local volunteers and two members of a search and rescue team came across items of her clothing, including her shoes - and her backpack - at around 5pm last night (Thursday) and believed her body to be close by.

As light was fading, it was too dark to recover the missing tourist immediately.

But it is believed that at 8.30am (Friday), local police sent two helicopters to the scene in a recovery operation.
continues...

I came across this story this morning (I project manage Scene's development) very sad, but I'm glad that her family and friends finally have closure. :(
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby inzane on Fri 16/May/08 11:32am

“But it was too late for proper access as the light was fading and ropes and climbing gear would have been needed to reach the site.

Sounds like she might have fallen off something nasty. It is a shame!
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby scatter on Fri 16/May/08 12:31pm

Hmmmm. Stuff sez:
"Police said that contrary to what had been reported on a local media website, Liat had not been located"
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Fri 16/May/08 12:50pm

scatter wrote: Hmmmm. Stuff sez:
"Police said that contrary to what had been reported on a local media website, Liat had not been located"
Ah well, that's journalism for you!
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Vinnie on Fri 16/May/08 1:14pm

Ohh, they've changed the story on Scene.

Big ooopsy.
Vinnie
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby mitch7 on Fri 16/May/08 2:03pm

sad as it is,at least the family can grieve properly now... :(
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby inzane on Fri 16/May/08 2:32pm

mitch7 wrote: sad as it is,at least the family can grieve properly now... :(

Or they will be able to when they do find the body.
inzane

Postby Flyboy on Fri 16/May/08 2:36pm

looks like they have- how hard is it to tell if you have or have not found a body?!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4550986a10.html
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby inzane on Fri 16/May/08 2:40pm

Flyboy wrote: looks like they have- how hard is it to tell if you have or have not found a body?!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4550986a10.html

found the body at 1.10pm...

So they found the pack/clothes etc at the top and could not get down to where the body was??

Sounds like the local paper were only jumping the gun by a little bit...
inzane

Postby Vinnie on Fri 16/May/08 5:21pm

inzane wrote:Sounds like the local paper were only jumping the gun by a little bit...

I'm not surprised at all.
Vinnie
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Fraser on Fri 16/May/08 8:28pm

The Israeli backpackers go a little awol especially after their mandatory time in the Army. This article explains alot.
www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml ... &listSrc=Y
Fraser

Postby j2hyde on Sat 17/May/08 11:53am

I've seen more than a few israeli trampers do some very wierd and dumb things in the hills. Like wading 10km up a river at Arthurs pass holding their packs above their heads because they couldn't find a clearly marked benched and boardwalked track a few meters up the bank. Apparently that's how you do it when you're a commando.
Loosing a few tourists in the mountains every year is inevitable when you promote tramping in those areas to people without any experience or understanding of the risks. Not that I'm against that, I'd rather it be promoted and loose a few, rather than nobody be allowed or encouraged to get out there.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Tramping - Latest Posts