Re: E.13 Lg1+ Rubbing, Anyone Else Had Problems With Setup?

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 5/Mar/10 5:00pm

I've got a similar and yet totally different problem.... so any advice while we're talking about chainlines and BB spacers. I;ve got some atlas cranks on Nomad and the drive side crank only clears the chainstay by about 2mm. Is this fixable with spacers without squirreling the chain line?? (135mm rear, 73mm shell, currently running with one 2.5mm spacer as per Race Face instructions. Looking to install a guide too.

Ta (soz for the hijack)
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 5/Mar/10 5:06pm

banga wrote:what bb and wheel spacing combo? I would think this would be more of the problem than the guide. i.e. 73mm and 135mm will rub on pretty much anything.

Forgive my potential sillyness, but how doesent the cranks end up one the same place with a 68 and 73 for something like a hollowtech crank? I know with Isis etc you can get diff spindle lengths etc

You run 2 spacers drive side and 1 on the non for the 68. And 1 spacer on the drive 0 on the non drive side with the 73, making the total bb width the same for each. So the cranks end up in the same place. (the spacers are 2.5mm aint they?)
Wobbler
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby banga on Fri 5/Mar/10 5:26pm

Wobbler wrote:
banga wrote:what bb and wheel spacing combo? I would think this would be more of the problem than the guide. i.e. 73mm and 135mm will rub on pretty much anything.

Forgive my potential sillyness, but how doesent the cranks end up one the same place with a 68 and 73 for something like a hollowtech crank? I know with Isis etc you can get diff spindle lengths etc

You run 2 spacers drive side and 1 on the non for the 68. And 1 spacer on the drive 0 on the non drive side with the 73, making the total bb width the same for each. So the cranks end up in the same place. (the spacers are 2.5mm aint they?)

Good point, depends what cranks he's running, iscg mounts or bb mount etc I guess. Chain guides are a pain. Joys of chainguides really.

Depends how you set up hallowtech cranks as well, I found mine with 73mm shell worked better with no spacer on the drive.
banga
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby nebelfj on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:14pm

banga wrote:
Wobbler wrote:

Good point, depends what cranks he's running, iscg mounts or bb mount etc I guess. Chain guides are a pain. Joys of chainguides really.

Depends how you set up hallowtech cranks as well, I found mine with 73mm shell worked better with no spacer on the drive.

That sounds like a good idea, and definitely better than filing the plastic on the guide down. will try it on Monday; cranks are stylos, bb is a truvitav gxp . old iscg mount with no adapter if that helps. At the moment there are no spacers on my shell if that helps? I' m guessing that the 73mm measurement is taken when there are no spacers on the bb at all so by spacing it out as per wobblers advice for a 73mm would mean that I end up with a bb width of 75.5 mm and a mint chainline? sorry just trying to get my head around it all.
nebelfj
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby nebelfj on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:20pm

nebelfj wrote:
banga wrote:
Wobbler wrote:

That sounds like a good idea, and definitely better than filing the plastic on the guide down. will try it on Monday; cranks are stylos, bb is a truvitav gxp . old iscg mount with no adapter if that helps. At the moment there are no spacers on my shell if that helps? I' m guessing that the 73mm measurement is taken when there are no spacers on the bb at all so by spacing it out as per wobblers advice for a 73mm would mean that I end up with a bb width of 75.5 mm and a mint chainline? sorry just trying to get my head around it all.

shit sorry, this is from white-lightning, I accidentally wrote this on a mates computer (which I am still on haha) . Cheers
nebelfj
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Clubs | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington MTB Club | Wellington Region - Latest Posts