Lezyne Lights. Anyone Using Them??

Postby Trail Bomber05 on Sun 4/Aug/13 6:10pm

Am thinking of doing some night rides out at mcleans in CHCH and like the look of the Lezyne super drive xl 500lumens(head mount) and the Micro drive 150lumens(bar mount).

I have a 2part question really . . Is anyone out there using Lezyne lights and how are you finding them?
And Is that enough light(650lumens combined) ? I mean when I checked out TradeMe everything seems to be 1500 and over per light which just seems overkill or just total BS.

Any help would be great :)
Trail Bomber05
"Lycra is only ok IF you race . . ."
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Lezyne Lights. Anyone Using Them??

Postby Trail on Sun 4/Aug/13 6:25pm

Yeh I have a Lezyne Macro front and Micro rear. Well thought out lights that I can charge sitting at the computer at work. Good light for commuting where one of the more important things is to be seen by traffic.

I also do a lot of night riding on the Port Hills. I would not go biking with less 900 lumen on the Port Hills... but the tracks up there are different to Mcleans and probably require a bit more light. I have not tried the Super drive and so have no idea of how much actual light it puts out and as to whether it would be enough to get you around Mcleans or not... but I would guess that you would be able to get around ok, but may have light envy when you figure out how much more you can see with 900 lumens?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Sun 4/Aug/13 6:37pm

Review here:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-light ... eam-photos

Lezyne stuff seems to be all over the place quality wise. I have the mini drive XL but haven't used it in anger. The light looks pretty good but the mount maybe not so. 100$ will get you a pair of very bright lights from dx.com with pie money to spare.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Slow_XC on Sun 4/Aug/13 9:23pm

I would not ride out at Mcleans with anything less then 900 Lumens. However anything up to 2000 lumens will be all good off-road just get one that has a good spread of light as a small bright spot is useless.
Slow_XC
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby Trail Bomber05 on Mon 5/Aug/13 6:02pm

Cheers for that. The review that was posted was really helpful
Trail Bomber05
"Lycra is only ok IF you race . . ."
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 5/Aug/13 6:19pm

Slow_XC wrote:I would not ride out at Mcleans with anything less then 900 Lumens. However anything up to 2000 lumens will be all good off-road just get one that has a good spread of light as a small bright spot is useless.

:crazy:

If you are just out for a play on your local trails you don't need anything like 900lumens (claimed or real) Mcleans as I recall isn't exactly gnarly terrain, so unless you are riding with other people who like to ride behind you with silly bright lights you don't need a super bright set-up, just something relaible.

I remember my first set of off road night lights being a cateye set up with a 10W and 2.5W halogen bulb, and I rode all sorts of places with that set up
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts