Laptop External Hd's - Are They All The Same?

Postby JXC on Mon 17/Mar/08 10:03am

In simple terms what do you look for in a external HD (laptop size)?

I understand that Im after around 80G but beyond that I get lost, why is there so much difference in price?

Please any simple answers?

Thanks!
JXC
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby jnumbaz on Mon 17/Mar/08 10:39am

So I take it you are after a 2.5in Hdd. Do you have an enclosure for it? Have a look at http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_3.html#g100

You should be looking at an IDE hdd that will fit most external enclosures, unless you already have a SATA enclosure.

In terms of speed, 5200 rpm should do fine because the USB bandwidth is'nt really fast enough to use anything faster.

Hope this helps.

Oh and its cheaper to buy the enclosure and hdd separately, rather than the over priced combined ones from Harvey Norman or Tricky Dickies
jnumbaz
"high-powered mass-cannon throwing tessellated plasma forward in an orgy of death and destruction"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Mon 17/Mar/08 10:40am

Hi

Difference will be size and speed of the disk I would expect.

Could you define difference in price ?
PhilterNZ
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Flyboy on Mon 17/Mar/08 10:49am

The big differences in price are the types of HDDs available. Pricespy is the place to go, ive got an external HDD en route from them at the moment.
the ones aimed at laptops generally do not use an external power source, and get all power through the USB plug. with larger capacity HDDs this means a rapidly growing price tag. Alternaltively, HDDs with a usb cord for data and a separate, conventional plug for a wall socket to get power generally offer far larger storage capacities for a much lower price per GB.
eg, my 320GB HDD (with a separate power cord) is costing about the same as a 150GB HDD for a laptop.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby JXC on Mon 17/Mar/08 10:55am

http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/
Thats where Im looking at the moment. So the idea is:
5200rpm (thanks j101....)
80 G
I like the Maxtor One Touch 4 Mini 80GB 2.5" External Hard Drive, but thats like a non cyclist picking out race wheels!

Price difference on this website seems to be around $30 between the different models and brands, will I notice any difference? Its got to be easy to use / no fuss.

(at this price I guess I wont save much by building one and it will save me alot of hassle)
JXC

Postby JXC on Mon 17/Mar/08 11:00am

Flyboy wrote: The big differences in price are the types of HDDs available. Pricespy is the place to go, ive got an external HDD en route from them at the moment.
the ones aimed at laptops generally do not use an external power source, and get all power through the USB plug. with larger capacity HDDs this means a rapidly growing price tag. Alternaltively, HDDs with a usb cord for data and a separate, conventional plug for a wall socket to get power generally offer far larger storage capacities for a much lower price per GB.
eg, my 320GB HDD (with a separate power cord) is costing about the same as a 150GB HDD for a laptop.

True, I travel a fair bit with my laptop and the ease of not needing a separate power supply is a big draw card for me.
JXC

Postby Flyboy on Mon 17/Mar/08 11:05am

JXC wrote:
Flyboy wrote: The big differences in price are the types of HDDs available. Pricespy is the place to go, ive got an external HDD en route from them at the moment.

True, I travel a fair bit with my laptop and the ease of not needing a separate power supply is a big draw card for me.

Yeah i thought as much.basically just looking at it costing a bit more per GB then really. Ive always thought it to be a good move to look at the size you want, then go up one more. (just my two cents worth).
Pricespy is the place to go, theres some good HDDs and snazzy cases on there- like you said, for that price its not really worth the hassle of building one yourself- I came to the same conclusion.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Mon 17/Mar/08 4:27pm

JXC wrote: Price difference on this website seems to be around $30 between the different models and brands, will I notice any difference? Its got to be easy to use / no fuss.

unless you live in the middle of nowhere go into a shop that stocks a couple of different brands of case and HD and have a look, some are much cheaper than others in construction my flatmate had one that kept falling apart that he got from super cheep PC
but the 2nd one was ok
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby lubie on Tue 18/Mar/08 5:52pm

I got a lufferly one from ascent for around $200 - HD and enclosure separate. I'll dig out specs if you're interested.

www.ascent.co.nz
lubie
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Sifting - Latest Posts