Landline-less Broadband Options

Postby Flyboy on Fri 1/Jun/12 9:00am

Have had a bit of a search through vorb for what people might have done along these lines recently and aside from some grade-a trolling & steaming 'nuss jokes, I've not found anything useful.

Does anyone out there have good experience with broadband options for when 'regular' broandband through the phone line isnt an option? Our new place apparently cant get broadband, despite being only 1km from brother in law who can :(

I know vodafone does a t-stick type thing, which sounds like lots of $$$, or theres farmside, which is different, but still even more $$$ up front. Is it a matter of choosing between these two evils?
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Landline-less Broadband Options

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Fri 1/Jun/12 9:50am

Has any cable been laid in your area?

We don't have a landline, but use Telstra as our internet provider. I wouldn't recommend them though, as their CS is shit. This might not help.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby jo on Fri 1/Jun/12 9:57am

I spoke to some people in the wops when I was out East Cape and they said that if they were within 5km of an "exchange" they could get ADSL/cable. Further out their only options were dial up. Mobile coverage was spotty, so the people with the moolah would get Farmside (which I think is a satellite dish type getup).
I dont consider the USB modems to be expensive - I used one in Melbs for the time I was there - worked ok, as long as there wasnt alot of demand for data at the time - ie evenings. Depending where you are transfer rates might be painful. I find vf-3G on my mobile phone to deteriorate as I go further south Wlg>Chch>Qtn. Also Gisborne>BoP
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 1/Jun/12 9:59am

steaming 'nuss jokes

Dr. Fuentes wrote:Has any cable been laid in your area?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What part of country are you? any Wireless (beamed in) options available, or are they too much upfront?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby ryda on Fri 1/Jun/12 10:11am

We have a vodem stick,(see they do wireless ones now, so you can hook more than one PC to it) can be a little painfull at times depending on the area, I think your looking at $30 min per month depending the amount of data you want, 2 degrees I think is a bucket load cheaper but a has a lot less coverage area, the main metropolitain areas only I beleive
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Fri 1/Jun/12 10:36am

Are you unable to get ADSL due to no more ports at the exchange, or too far away?

Satellite is prob a bit expensive, and as others have stated mobile BB is your best option, assuming you have coverage.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Flyboy on Fri 1/Jun/12 10:40am

we're about the midpoint between Rotorua, Tauranga & Whakatane, near Te Puke.
We've tried 4 different ISPs and ended up finding that the infrastructure along our section of the road isnt up to the task of broadband. A few kms in either direction it is, but just not in our section.

So maybe in a year or so we'll be okay, but in the meantime, maybe we should talk to 2degrees or vodafone; $30/month doesnt sound too bad.

Its not a matter of not enough ports as far as I know, I think it might be the cabling cant carry the broadband out to us. Theres good cellphone coverage though
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"

Postby phunk on Fri 1/Jun/12 10:47am

Yeah all the ISPs will be using Chorus insfrastructure so wont make any difference, cabinetisation has finished so you wont likely ever get copper based BB, but possibly be covered by the Rural BB initiative - again Mobile BB.

Check out the coverage/pricing for all (dont forget Telecom :) ), you might be outside the metro pricing areas for 2d so check that as well.

I would get a Hotspot type device so you can share around the house. http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-m ... ess-router
phunk

Postby bugle on Fri 1/Jun/12 10:54am

I'd love to ditch the landline but we regularly chew through our 160GB and more for the month :crazy:
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Flyboy on Fri 1/Jun/12 10:57am

phunk wrote:Yeah all the ISPs will be using Chorus insfrastructure so wont make any difference, cabinetisation has finished so you wont likely ever get copper based BB, but possibly be covered by the Rural BB initiative - again Mobile BB.

Check out the coverage/pricing for all (dont forget Telecom :) ), you might be outside the metro pricing areas for 2d so check that as well.

I would get a Hotspot type device so you can share around the house. http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-m ... ess-router

thanks Phunk, that looks like the best option I've seen so far. Might have to go shopping around this weekend
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 1/Jun/12 1:31pm

bugle wrote:I'd love to ditch the landline but we regularly chew through our 160GB and more for the month :crazy:

The bandwidth of a bicycle with a backpack full of DVDs isn't bad. I go for the the mega multiple monster deals, copy them to HDD then watch at leisure.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Fri 1/Jun/12 2:06pm

If you are looking for a temp fix you could try Woosh.
Wireless 7Gb for $39.95.
http://www.woosh.com/half-price-broadba ... only-plans

Enter your adress to check if you can get coverage at your house.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 1/Jun/12 3:01pm

woosh comes through the copper - which is deemed insufficient for said purpose at his location...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Flyboy on Fri 1/Jun/12 3:11pm

swtchbckr wrote:woosh comes through the copper - which is deemed insufficient for said purpose at his location...

apparently so we have been told :(
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"

Postby phunk on Fri 1/Jun/12 4:30pm

Thems the breaks when you move to the wops.
phunk

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts