If you bring the Line Rental and broadband – Line - $50.23
Broadband -25GB $36.95 including the wiring $3.95
Total $91.13
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Landline-less Broadband Options

Postby phunk on Thu 7/Jun/12 5:05pm

Assuming you get coverage that looks like a good option, you only want the Wireless BB option though ($82 for 25GB), you can have your phone line with whoever you want, or get rid of it entirely if you use your mobile..
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 7/Jun/12 5:50pm

Flyboy wrote:Anyone ever try this crowd?

http://www.compass.net.nz/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=30

Naked Broadband – 25GB $69.95
Total $91.13

Yes! A very nice rep named Henry knocked on the door, he knew his stuff and signed me up for BB landline and mobile, it was significantly cheaper than Telecom.

Nek day, as planned I went to ratemyISP or something where you can look up comments per ISP. Compass got the worst rating, it had no stars and would have had black holes if they were available. Comments were overwhelmingly that they are underprovisioned, understaffed and that the switchover process can leave you wishing you could just pay a few hundred dollars to have the whole experience erased from your life. There were only two positive comments side by side. The first was from a chap named Henry. :D
I bailed out using the 7-day door-to-door cold feet law. You do it through the sales number, which does respond promptly. I spoke to a very pleasant and competent lass with a lovely Scottish accent. :love:

So my personal experience was all excellent, reputation is very scary.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Flyboy on Fri 8/Jun/12 8:24am

Hmm. might have to give them a go.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 8/Jun/12 12:47pm

It looked like a good deal if the service standards are bearable to you.
I run a business from home and more importantly have a serious online computer gaming addict in the house, it was just too risky.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby Flyboy on Fri 3/Aug/12 12:32pm

gave up last week on Compass - they had dicked around for weks & weeks.
Finally managd to talk to the local Chorus guy & h suggested i try telecom again; they hooked us up straight away.

Something to be said for staying with the same company who owns the lines I suppose.

So stoked to have the interweb at home once more!
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"

Postby phunk on Fri 3/Aug/12 1:03pm

Flyboy wrote:gave up last week on Compass - they had dicked around for weks & weeks.
Finally managd to talk to the local Chorus guy & h suggested i try telecom again; they hooked us up straight away.

Something to be said for staying with the same company who owns the lines I suppose.

So stoked to have the interweb at home once more!

Telecom and Chorus are separate. Chorus own the access lines.
phunk

Postby happybaboon on Fri 3/Aug/12 5:33pm

They fully do not act as such.

I tried to connect through a non-telecom provider. Chorus told them that no broadband was available at my address whatsoever and I'd need farmside, despite living in the geographic middle (to the metre) of the second-largest town in the district.

Called Telecom... Somehow connected within 48 hours with lightening-fast broadband :hmmm:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 3/Aug/12 11:29pm

happybaboon wrote:They fully do not act as such.

I tried to connect through a non-telecom provider. Chorus told them that no broadband was available at my address whatsoever and I'd need farmside, despite living in the geographic middle (to the metre) of the second-largest town in the district.

Called Telecom... Somehow connected within 48 hours with lightening-fast broadband :hmmm:

Barstuds! Complain to the Minister Of Internets.

There might be a reason for this though. In Chch Telstra doesn't have cable north of about Riccarton Road, so somehow that means a large chunk of Chch is legally not in the Chch local calling area for Telstra. Telecom therefore do not provide free number portability within Chch to those suburbs. Free porting was supposed to be available later when the exchange is upgraded, which might be similar to your case. Your central exchange might be old gear due to having been upgraded earlier than others.
Simonius_Titius

Postby happybaboon on Fri 3/Aug/12 11:37pm

I doubt it. Other ISP said "Now that you're on Telecom I can easily change you over". Haven't done so, as need to pull my finger out my butt and get around to complaining to the Chorus CEO about their dodgy behaviour (figure it might complicate things if I'm no longer a Telecom customer). And my neighbours on either side and behind me and across the street are all connected through different ISPs.
happybaboon

Postby phunk on Sat 4/Aug/12 7:13pm

happybaboon wrote:I doubt it. Other ISP said "Now that you're on Telecom I can easily change you over". Haven't done so, as need to pull my finger out my butt and get around to complaining to the Chorus CEO about their dodgy behaviour (figure it might complicate things if I'm no longer a Telecom customer). And my neighbours on either side and behind me and across the street are all connected through different ISPs.

Thats bizzare. There is nothing favouring Telecom over other ISP's. Would be interesting to know exactly what happened and why the other ISP was unable to connect you first time round.
phunk

Postby happybaboon on Sat 4/Aug/12 7:47pm

Yeah. I really ought to get around to laying my complaint to chorus. In the end it hasn't cost me a whole lot, because telecom aren't a whole lot more expensive than my preferred option (actually cheaper now, gb for gb, I think...) but I really liked the idea of being supplied by one of the little guys.
happybaboon

Postby Flyboy on Fri 12/Oct/12 2:54pm

Flyboy wrote:Anyone ever try this crowd?

http://www.compass.net.nz/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=30

Naked Broadband – 25GB $69.95
Total $91.13

In case anyone ever asks this question on here again, or does a search looking for the same information - can I just say that contacting Compass was perhaps the worst move I made this year. Every bad thing written about them on review and feedback pages seems to be true - dealing with them - then trying to get them to leave us alone when we went with Telecom - was nothing short of a nightmare.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 12/Oct/12 10:14pm

Persistent, you say? Oh yes, sorry I forgot to mention they seem to be an Indian outfit thinly disguised with a NZ paintjob. :D
Simonius_Titius

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts