Re: Landline-less Broadband Options

Postby herbman on Fri 1/Jun/12 4:55pm

But you do tend to get better riding in the wops so crap intetwebby is a small price to pay
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby hdb on Fri 1/Jun/12 7:33pm

Flyboy wrote:Does anyone out there have good experience with broadband options for when 'regular' broandband through the phone line isnt an option? Our new place apparently cant get broadband, despite being only 1km from brother in law who can :(

Is there any chance you would have a reasonable line of sight to said bro-in-law (Even from a roof or outbuilding)? If so, you can look at using a Wi-Fi link between your houses and piggyback on his link. The equipment would be a few hundred $ but once you have it in place, you could just split the cost of the broadband and both save some dosh. You would need two devices like this: http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=403710 to make it happen.

This approach will also be far better than Farmside or any of the other sat-based providers, since the latency won't be so big.
hdb
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 1/Jun/12 8:33pm

Farmside takes it in the asshole. Don't do it!

See if you can get XT connectivity... My dad can get it at his place in the middle of nowhere from the top of an aerial. Works out much cheaper than Farmside. Added bonus is that you don't have to be Farmside's customer, as they are awful.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Sun 3/Jun/12 10:47am

swtchbckr wrote:woosh comes through the copper - which is deemed insufficient for said purpose at his location...

Yes you are correct. I had woosh wireless a few years ago. But I see it's only available in selected places.

Wireless Broadband and Phoneline

Our wireless network covers Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Invercargill. If you're lucky enough to live within our wireless broadband network, then we've got a great range of broadband, and broadband and phone plans for you to choose from. Our wireless plans are great if you want cheap broadband access for surfing the web, reading your email or checking your online banking. 

Additionally, If you need a home phone, we can add a Woosh phone line for you. It's similar to using Skype for your home phone and, best of all, national calls will be free and calls overseas will be much cheaper.

Wireless Broadband and Phone Plans
Get 7GB of Broadband, a Phoneline and FREE National Calling for just $49.99 a month. Find out more about this deal and our other plans...

Equipment you need
Find out what Woosh equipment you need to get started with our AIR Broadband/Phone line plans...

Wireless Internet Broadband Only Plans
Want Broadband without the cost of a Landline. Then get our hot wireless Broadband Deal! 7GB wireless Broadband for only $39.95 a month. Check out our...

Smart Services
With our AIR with phone plans you get lots of FREE Smart Services. Find out more about how Smart Services can help you manage your calls...
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Flyboy on Tue 5/Jun/12 4:31pm

phunk wrote:Thems the breaks when you move to the wops.

Its true, thats the trade-off.
I'll post what I find here so anyone else looking in the future might be able to get an answer too.

Vodafone offered $80/month for 5GB, witha t-stick that can only be plugged into 1 computer at a time. Theres a wireless 'broadcaster' coming that would allow you to plug into a single computer at home & 5 other computers could connect through it.
At busy times you might experience slow speeds or be dropped however.

Telecom offers $80 for 4GB, with a t-stick or wireless broadcaster as well.

2 degrees dont cover where we are it seems. Well, not for internet anyways.

Going to try investigating whether we have line of sight to brother in laws place (might be marginal, but possible), or alternaltives to Farmside.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby jo on Tue 5/Jun/12 4:38pm

About the wifi extender
I read this a while back which may or may not be helpful http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/ ... e-company/
One of the reviews for the antenna on amazon claims a range of 3miles.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Tue 5/Jun/12 7:14pm

jo wrote:About the wifi extender
I read this a while back which may or may not be helpful http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/ ... e-company/

jeepers you'd want to lock that motherfucker down tight! Imagine discovering the whole neighbourhood's traffic on your next bill! :D
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby mark2c on Tue 5/Jun/12 9:47pm

In may parts of the world people don't have the monopoly/oligopoly data caps that make the monthly data bill look like a threat.

BTW, for people considering such networks the best kit out there for it (both performance and cost wise) comes these people: www.ubnt.com.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Masmoo on Tue 5/Jun/12 9:59pm

swtchbckr wrote:woosh comes through the copper - which is deemed insufficient for said purpose at his location...

But the website says "With Woosh you can get wireless broadband at home without needing a landline. We simply send the data through the AIR using encoded radio waves" Where dose the copper come in to this?
Masmoo
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Flyboy on Wed 6/Jun/12 7:46am

jo wrote:About the wifi extender

love the idea, but as he reccomends that it not be tried by anyone who isnt a bit of an IT whiz, that rather counts me out. There are a few trees in between our place & the brother in laws', but only a couple. It would be tempting if I had the know-how though!
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Wed 6/Jun/12 1:34pm

Chain Saw ;)
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby cauld on Wed 6/Jun/12 6:16pm

mark2c wrote:In may parts of the world people don't have the monopoly/oligopoly data caps that make the monthly data bill look like a threat.

BTW, for people considering such networks the best kit out there for it (both performance and cost wise) comes these people: http://www.ubnt.com.

I have a couple of Ubiquiti PowerBridges to hopefully pipe highspeed into my new Rotorua pad (Hamurana). Now just have to see if I can convince someone at Kawha Point or Skyline to let me setup the other end.
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby JumpR on Wed 6/Jun/12 6:24pm

is EOL available in your parts?

We are urban, but ended up with a repeater aerial on the roof that plugs into the mrs' data card to boost reception . Not a wireless solution but..
JumpR
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby mark2c on Wed 6/Jun/12 6:50pm

cauld wrote:
mark2c wrote:In may parts of the world people don't have the monopoly/oligopoly data caps that make the monthly data bill look like a threat.

BTW, for people considering such networks the best kit out there for it (both performance and cost wise) comes these people: http://www.ubnt.com.

I have a couple of Ubiquiti PowerBridges to hopefully pipe highspeed into my new Rotorua pad (Hamurana). Now just have to see if I can convince someone at Kawha Point or Skyline to let me setup the other end.

Why just the one location? https://wiki.projectmeshnet.org/CJD's_Network_Suite
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby cauld on Wed 6/Jun/12 7:50pm

mark2c wrote:
cauld wrote:

Why just the one location? https://wiki.projectmeshnet.org/CJD's_Network_Suite
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts