Re: Krank Dirtwear Hanmer 4 & 8 Hour Mtb Race

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 7/Apr/10 9:40pm

Tinkerbell wrote:House and entry form sorted. Does anyone know what the deal is with sites on the day? I'm thinking of taking the tent mansion and there will be at least 2 of 3 of us doing the 4hr based out of it.

I'm heading up Friday afternoon and will try to camp in a spot where I can reserve some space adjacent for Singletrack Club members to cluster & support / raz each other. See you there.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby neels on Thu 8/Apr/10 12:21pm

Entry is in, feeling very unfit at the moment so have gone for the wussy relaxed option of three people in a 4 hour team so we can sit in the sun for a while when we are finished.

See ya's there

XCguy wrote:Righto, anyone done a timed lap yet? Or anyone who knows these trails well able to do a good estimate for fast riders?

I would have thought about 30 mins for a good rider, it's not particularly technical compared to the old 12hr course. My brief description.....

Black dog trail from memory is flat through forest
Slight down shingle road, then short pretty flat shingle road
Mack 1 easy uphill singletrack then short downhill with a couple of switchbacks
McIntyres Rd uphill on wide shingle road
Upper dogstream fast singletrack downhill
Jolliffe Rd uphill shingle road
Timberland track fast downhill on wide benched walking/bike track
Pawsons Rd downhill shingle road
Lower red rocks - don't know haven't ridden it
Back to start via mostly flat single track, sort of bottle lake forestish

That was probably no help at all, but I tried :lol:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 8/Apr/10 12:24pm

Weather looks good :thumbsup:

Anyone have the offiical word on sites, and in particular do soloists get there own sites? Was planning on setting up the tent etc if that is the case.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 8/Apr/10 12:37pm

Nick_K wrote:Weather looks good :thumbsup:

Anyone have the offiical word on sites, and in particular do soloists get there own sites? Was planning on setting up the tent etc if that is the case.

Come join us at the Singletrack Club area Nicko :thumbsup: We're camping on site tomorrow night.
I assume you're doing the 8hr? Seems my placing just got bumped yet another spot :(
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 8/Apr/10 12:43pm

XCguy wrote:
Nick_K wrote:Weather looks good :thumbsup:

Come join us at the Singletrack Club area Nicko :thumbsup: We're camping on site tomorrow night.
I assume you're doing the 8hr? Seems my placing just got bumped yet another spot :(

8hr is the plan, how it will actually go might be a different story :D

I thought you weren't allowed to set up to the Sat morning? Either way I'm to soft to camp over night at this time of the year so have rented a cabin. Would be good setting up next to singletrack so Sarah has some people to hang out with.

Looking forward too it. The course will be uber fast, I'm guessing mid 25's for solo riders?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby JUANGEAR on Thu 8/Apr/10 2:01pm

I'm starting to get fired up. Bike has been striped back to single speed. No suspension, should be the perfect weapon for 8hrs of carving it up.
JUANGEAR
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 8/Apr/10 4:11pm

WeatherCity's forecast for Hanmer Springs...

Saturday, April 10th, 2010

Overnight
6°C Mostly clear

Saturday Morning
11°C Sunny with cloudy periods

Saturday Afternoon
23°C Sunny

Saturday Evening
12°C Clear

Nice :)
XCguy

Postby ryda on Thu 8/Apr/10 8:04pm

neels wrote:
Black dog trail from memory is flat through forest

umm.......it kicks up quite a bit at the end :sneaky:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby psychavoc on Sun 11/Apr/10 3:12pm

How'd this go for everyone? Results? :)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Sun 11/Apr/10 3:33pm

I don't think the official results have been posted. Jude got 2nd 8hr solo vet woman, can't remember who got first (damn cider :D ), Ollie Whalley got first solo 8hr man and was fastest overall, even beating the teams, Nick_K got second. Not sure about any other results, except Dirtdiva and faux_name burgled the 4 hr woman's team category and won with out even trying at all. Hilarious.
It was a fantastic day, the course was flipping brilliant, the atmosphere was great and the weather was stunning. I loved it! :love:
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby neels on Sun 11/Apr/10 4:53pm

Tinkerbell wrote:It was a fantastic day, the course was flipping brilliant, the atmosphere was great and the weather was stunning. I loved it! :love:

What she said.

I think we achieved our usual objective of not last, and given that most of my time on 2 wheels lately has been of the motorised variety and my team mates were pretty much the same that is an achievement. Was all nice and relaxed, track was well thought out with plenty of places for people to pass me, and only one real climb for my legs to hate me on. They were about right with their estimate of 40 mins for an average rider, I was feeling very average and that's how long it took me for a lap, if it's back again next year I might even do some training and have a decent bash at it.

Thanks to the organisers for a good day, and with the very reasonable entry fee a cheap one.

ryda wrote:
neels wrote:Black dog trail from memory is flat through forest

umm.......it kicks up quite a bit at the end :sneaky:

It certainly does.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby XCguy on Sun 11/Apr/10 6:10pm

Sweet weekend of racing. Awesome weather both days :)

Here are the results from Saturdays 4/8hr...
hanmer 2010 8hr.xls
Downloaded 124 times
XCguy

Postby psychavoc on Sun 11/Apr/10 6:45pm

Nice! :thumbsup: Looks like a great turnout! Hope to see a few of those racing here come along for Naseby next weekend :)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby XCguy on Sun 11/Apr/10 6:49pm

Heaps of us who were racing at Hanmer are also racing at Naseby :thumbsup:
XCguy

Postby Nick_K on Sun 11/Apr/10 6:54pm

Thanks to the Hanmer mtb club for putting on a great race. Perfect weather, great course selection and generally good vibe from all made this a top race.

Legs and back didn't quite go the distance although the painkillers courtesy of Ryda helped.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Hanmer Springs | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | North Canterbury | Regions - Latest Posts