Kiwi 'pirate' Boards Floating Cetacean Abattoir

Postby onyabike on Tue 16/Feb/10 9:23am

from stuff.co.nz

'Japanese whalers have confirmed a New Zealand protester who boarded one of their ships has received medical attention for a knife-wound on his left hand.

Pete Bethune clambered aboard the Shonan Maru 2 on Monday morning to stage a citizen's arrest of its skipper, despite the Japanese ship being hung with nets and anti-boarding spikes.

Captain Bethune, who was the skipper of the sunken protest vessel the Ady Gill, wants the whalers to face attempted murder charges.

He had waited for the Shonan Maru 2 ship early on Monday morning on a jet ski, being driven by another protester, under the cover of darkness.

The incident occurred in international waters between Heard Island and Antarctica.

On Monday night, Japan's pro-whaling Institute of Cetacean Research issued a statement saying Captain Bethune cut his hand while climbing aboard its vessel.

"Mr Bethune illegally boarded the Shonan Maru 2 ... after using a knife to cut the vessel's protection net," the institute said.

"At that time, Mr Bethune cut his left thumb and has since received medical treatment from the Japanese crew.

"The Ady Gill skipper told the crew that, after boarding the Shonan Maru 2, he had thrown the knife into the sea."

The institute also claimed that Captain Bethune was "restrained" by the captain of the Shonan Maru 2 "in line with the Japanese Mariners Act" and was now "being held in custody on board".

The Japanese whaling fleet and protesters have been locked in a tense struggle in Antarctic waters this summer.

Commercial whaling is banned internationally, but Japan is allowed to hunt hundreds of whales a year in the name of scientific research. '
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Kiwi 'pirate' Boards Floating Cetacean Abattoir

Postby phunk on Tue 16/Feb/10 9:27am

What a moran.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby cooper770 on Tue 16/Feb/10 10:55am

good on him, like any one with passion he believes in his crusade.

whether we think him a moran or even moron, he still has a point. Does scientific research require 200 whales to die, and why does the meat end up on the tables of Japanese restaurant? Can't they perform their research by observation? Or even catch and release/tagging. What sort of research is it that requires the animals to die to preserve its species?
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Tue 16/Feb/10 11:37am

cooper770 wrote:good on him, like any one with passion he believes in his crusade.

whether we think him a moran or even moron, he still has a point. Does scientific research require 200 whales to die, and why does the meat end up on the tables of Japanese restaurant? Can't they perform their research by observation? Or even catch and release/tagging. What sort of research is it that requires the animals to die to preserve its species?

Niga pleaze,

someone of your supposed intellect I would have thought has a mind of his own and would not buy into the media bull shit.

The whale wars have been won...about 10 years ago. The japanese have been most accommodating in not killing any species that has been shown to be even slightly threatened by commercial harvest. They appear to have played by the rules right through the whole process so that now virtually all whale species are showing rapid recoveries in population, though some still have a ways to go. Humpbacks now number over 80,000 and are increasing at about 8% per annum, meaning maybe over 6,000 more humpbacks every year. With a global population of over a million (won't go into so-called different 'stocks'), the japanese take of maybe 1000 minke a year is nothing.
The whole thing just reeks of cultural imperialism as far as I'm concerned. I can't remember the last time I saw a televised protest or photos or whatever from a Norwegian or Icelandic or Inuit whale hunt. It's just jap bashing of the highest order. Minkes aren't endangered, or even rare-what's the problem? The only objection I can come up with is that it is cruel and barbaric but then, so is battery farming of chickens and penning pigs .... let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I'm getting mighty sick of Sea Shepherd. I just don't get what they're trying to achieve. I admire their determination...but their cause is....what? They are endangering peoples lives down there, not just their own but those japanese fishermen who have families and loved ones etc etc. If I had to fundraise for anyone, it'd be to mount a .50cal on the front of one of the whalers and see just how funny Sea Shepherd find the aggressive approach when the shoe is on the other foot. (quote LJ)
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby northernmonkey on Tue 16/Feb/10 12:27pm

Its a simple cost benefit analysis, the cost of a few thousand minki versus the benefit of having a compliant consensus on not hunting other species. Overall I think its worth it. I'd prefer there to be no hunting, but in overall terms there are far more endangered and pressurised fisheries around the world. Not least the Krill on which the Baleen whales depend is coming under threat from commercial fishing at an alarming rate for Omego 3 suppliments.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 16/Feb/10 1:03pm

bigJIMMY wrote:The whole thing just reeks of cultural imperialism as far as I'm concerned. I can't remember the last time I saw a televised protest or photos or whatever from a Norwegian or Icelandic or Inuit whale hunt. It's just jap bashing of the highest order. Minkes aren't endangered, or even rare-what's the problem?

Plenty of protest against the Norwegian and Icelanding hunts, just doesnt get much media attention.
Inuit still do it by (reasonably) traditional methods, plus they only take one or two a year, so they get let off.
i'm happy to let the japs hunt whales, if they would do it the way they did say 150-200 years ago, but with today's technology the whales dont stand a chance.
as for Minkes not being endangered, maybe not, but they still number way below what they did pre-industrial harvesting of them. ALL whale species number dramatically less than prior to the modern age. the reason most countries stopped whaling is because they basically ran out or whales. we simply got too efficient at harvesting them. if nations want to kill whales now, let them use sailing ships, rowed dorys, hand thrown harpoons. oh, but people might get killed!~?
our seas are getting absolutely pillaged. fish, mammal, whatever, we've gotta slow the fuck down or the great oceans will end up like the Mediterranean or the North Seas, with nothing left but mackerel and pilchards.
the japanese 'scientifically' 'studying' the whales isnt necessary.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby fatwombat on Tue 16/Feb/10 1:35pm

bigJIMMY wrote:I'm getting mighty sick of Sea Shepherd. I just don't get what they're trying to achieve. I admire their determination...but their cause is....what? They are endangering peoples lives down there, not just their own but those japanese fishermen who have families and loved ones etc etc. If I had to fundraise for anyone, it'd be to mount a .50cal on the front of one of the whalers and see just how funny Sea Shepherd find the aggressive approach when the shoe is on the other foot. (quote LJ)

I'm a bit the other way round - I respect their cause (to protect whales from being hunted to extermination), but I'm appalled by their "determination" - read "fanatical obsession". I don't like to see whales butchered, but I think human lives are more important and as jimmy says, the protesters are putting lives in danger. Imagine what it would be like on our roads of pro and anti cycling groups behaved like Sea Shepherd . . . . cyclist fatalities would skyrocket, and the cyclists who weren't run over would soon all be in jail for assault, murder, possession of a deadly weapon . . . . :cry:

What has happened to reasonableness, mutial respect and intelligent debate? :(
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby NickCW on Tue 16/Feb/10 2:16pm

bigJIMMY wrote:I'm getting mighty sick of Sea Shepherd. I just don't get what they're trying to achieve.

A paycheck for a douchebag reality show most likely

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Tue 16/Feb/10 2:20pm

fatwombat wrote:What has happened to reasonableness, mutial respect and intelligent debate? :(

it ended with the conclusion that we should not hunt whales :sly:
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby phunk on Tue 16/Feb/10 2:24pm

philstar wrote:
fatwombat wrote:What has happened to reasonableness, mutial respect and intelligent debate? :(

Why not? If its done 'sustainably' then whats the problem?
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby onyabike on Tue 16/Feb/10 2:30pm

tasty too.
gotta hurt.jpg
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby philstar on Tue 16/Feb/10 2:48pm

phunk wrote:
philstar wrote:

The only reason it is sustainable is the there is significant international opposition to it, I would not personally be opposed to an international quota on whales, that is auctioned to the highest bidder. But where would the funds go? Who would enforce it? It’s just much more efficient to say no hunting whales (and pretty much all other marine mammals). To allow for traditional rights, allow pre-industrial methods.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby j2hyde on Tue 16/Feb/10 3:05pm

The japs only do it as a "fuck you" gesture to wannabe greenie hypocrits and assorted other whingers in other countries. If you stopped protesting about it they'd probably get bored and go home. They don't make any money out of it and modern Japanese don't even like the taste, it's just them proving they can out troll anyone on the internet. And boy are they good at it!

And as pointed out earlier - and in many other threads on this topic - the whales in question are not endangered, the hunt is legal (regardless of how dubious the justification is, or the valiadity of the law in question, or the law in general) and it's probably one of very few fishing programs worldwide that is actually sustainable.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby philstar on Tue 16/Feb/10 3:29pm

j2hyde wrote: the hunt is legal (regardless of how dubious the justification is, or the valiadity of the law in question, or the law in general) and it's probably one of very few fishing programs worldwide that is actually sustainable.

not in Australia its not, they can prosecute people for whaling out side of Australian waters ( if any of the whalers set foot in Australia)
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 16/Feb/10 4:42pm

phunk wrote:
philstar wrote:

Sustainably doesnt mean shit when the populations you're hitting are sitting at about 10% or less of their previous biomass.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts