Re: Kiwi 'pirate' Boards Floating Cetacean Abattoir

Postby phunk on Tue 16/Feb/10 4:52pm

swtchbckr wrote:
phunk wrote:
philstar wrote:
fatwombat wrote:What has happened to reasonableness, mutial respect and intelligent debate? :(

it ended with the conclusion that we should not hunt whales :sly:

Why not? If its done 'sustainably' then whats the problem?

Sustainably doesnt mean shit when the populations you're hitting are sitting at about 10% or less of their previous biomass.

And now that overpopulation situation is under control thanks to the Japs.
Last edited by phunk on Tue 16/Feb/10 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 16/Feb/10 5:49pm

philstar wrote:
j2hyde wrote: the hunt is legal (regardless of how dubious the justification is, or the valiadity of the law in question, or the law in general) and it's probably one of very few fishing programs worldwide that is actually sustainable.

not in Australia its not, they can prosecute people for whaling out side of Australian waters ( if any of the whalers set foot in Australia)

Whales don't do that well in the desert...

But seriously the Aust antarctic territory claims are not recognised by japan and neither is the EEZ off that land, so trying to prosecute that would be diplomatically, uhh, difficult. The Aust government has threatened to take them to court but it's an empty threat, was only done for domestic political milage. And they don't have the balls for it
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby northernmonkey on Tue 16/Feb/10 6:54pm

philstar wrote:
j2hyde wrote: the hunt is legal (regardless of how dubious the justification is, or the valiadity of the law in question, or the law in general) and it's probably one of very few fishing programs worldwide that is actually sustainable.

not in Australia its not, they can prosecute people for whaling out side of Australian waters ( if any of the whalers set foot in Australia)

There always seems to be something dubious about countries claiming legal jurisdiction over citizens of another country for actions taken outside of their borders. By what authority are australia able to do this - in complete contempt of internationally agreed treaties. (not arguing in favour of Whaling, just a bit curious that the aussies think they have some legal/moral authority in this matter).
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 16/Feb/10 9:04pm

swtchbckr wrote:i'm happy to let the japs hunt whales, if they would do it the way they did say 150-200 years ago, but with today's technology the whales dont stand a chance.
Considering they've only hunted whales since last century this is the traditional Japanese method, I agree it's a big "fuck you", apparently most whale meat in Japan ends up in pet food.

Also Pete Bethune is a Pirate, and stands a real chance of getting torn up by the Japanese legal system, :crazy: If this was a publicity stunt it may well backfire in a massive clusterfucking fashion.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 16/Feb/10 11:25pm

phunk wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
phunk wrote:
philstar wrote:
fatwombat wrote:What has happened to reasonableness, mutial respect and intelligent debate? :(

Sustainably doesnt mean shit when the populations you're hitting are sitting at about 10% or less of their previous biomass.

OVERpopulation???? what are you on? i'm sayin' they's UNDERpopulated... there used to be 10 times, at least, more whales in the oceans before industrial whaling. now there's fuck all left, and we shouldnt be taxing them anymore. let them get back to pre-industrial whaling levels, THEN you can start talking about overpopulation... heesh.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby phunk on Wed 17/Feb/10 12:13pm

swtchbckr wrote:
phunk wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
phunk wrote:
philstar wrote:

OVERpopulation???? what are you on? i'm sayin' they's UNDERpopulated... there used to be 10 times, at least, more whales in the oceans before industrial whaling. now there's fuck all left, and we shouldnt be taxing them anymore. let them get back to pre-industrial whaling levels, THEN you can start talking about overpopulation... heesh.

The whales pre-whaling numbers were obviously unsustainable on other marine life, whalers helped to correct this balance and are keeping numbers in check, we should be thanking the whalers not pilloring them!
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 17/Feb/10 12:42pm

:lol: yeah, and seeing as we've overfished the seas too, there'd be no food for said whales to survive on, and how dare they (the whales) threaten the livelihoods of multinational fishing companies.! :cry:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 17/Feb/10 5:12pm

WTF are you on about? Most whale species eat Krill. Humans have pretty much stopped harvesting krill because it tastes like shit and you cant make money out of it. The biggest harvester of Krill was the Soviet Union, who never got worried about whether it's industries made a buck or not, and now it's gone nobody else bothers. There is shitloads of Krill in the oceans which is one reason why whale populations are rebounding so quickly.

I want to know why people get so uppity about what is probably the most benign fishing program around (Japanese whaling) when almost every other form of fishing is vastly more damaging to fish stocks? :eh:
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 17/Feb/10 5:15pm

Mmmmmm, tasty krill.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 17/Feb/10 5:18pm

j2hyde wrote:WTF are you on about? Most whale species eat Krill. Humans have pretty much stopped harvesting krill because it tastes like shit and you cant make money out of it. The biggest harvester of Krill was the Soviet Union, who never got worried about whether it's industries made a buck or not, and now it's gone nobody else bothers. There is shitloads of Krill in the oceans which is one reason why whale populations are rebounding so quickly.

I want to know why people get so uppity about what is probably the most benign fishing program around (Japanese whaling) when almost every other form of fishing is vastly more damaging to fish stocks? :eh:

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY ORANGE ROUGHY!!
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Thu 18/Feb/10 11:15am

j2hyde wrote:
philstar wrote:

Whales don't do that well in the desert...

But seriously the Aust antarctic territory claims are not recognised by japan and neither is the EEZ off that land, so trying to prosecute that would be diplomatically, uhh, difficult. The Aust government has threatened to take them to court but it's an empty threat, was only done for domestic political milage. And they don't have the balls for it
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 18/Feb/10 11:41am

j2hyde wrote:WTF are you on about? Most whale species eat Krill. Humans have pretty much stopped harvesting krill because it tastes like shit and you cant make money out of it. The biggest harvester of Krill was the Soviet Union, who never got worried about whether it's industries made a buck or not, and now it's gone nobody else bothers. There is shitloads of Krill in the oceans which is one reason why whale populations are rebounding so quickly.

Because whales are sexy.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby cooper770 on Thu 18/Feb/10 1:12pm

bigJIMMY wrote:
cooper770 wrote:good on him, like any one with passion he believes in his crusade.

whether we think him a moran or even moron, he still has a point. Does scientific research require 200 whales to die, and why does the meat end up on the tables of Japanese restaurant? Can't they perform their research by observation? Or even catch and release/tagging. What sort of research is it that requires the animals to die to preserve its species?

Niga pleaze,

someone of your supposed intellect I would have thought has a mind of his own and would not buy into the media bull shit.

The whale wars have been won...about 10 years ago. The japanese have been most accommodating in not killing any species that has been shown to be even slightly threatened by commercial harvest. They appear to have played by the rules right through the whole process so that now virtually all whale species are showing rapid recoveries in population, though some still have a ways to go. Humpbacks now number over 80,000 and are increasing at about 8% per annum, meaning maybe over 6,000 more humpbacks every year. With a global population of over a million (won't go into so-called different 'stocks'), the japanese take of maybe 1000 minke a year is nothing.
The whole thing just reeks of cultural imperialism as far as I'm concerned. I can't remember the last time I saw a televised protest or photos or whatever from a Norwegian or Icelandic or Inuit whale hunt. It's just jap bashing of the highest order. Minkes aren't endangered, or even rare-what's the problem? The only objection I can come up with is that it is cruel and barbaric but then, so is battery farming of chickens and penning pigs .... let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I'm getting mighty sick of Sea Shepherd. I just don't get what they're trying to achieve. I admire their determination...but their cause is....what? They are endangering peoples lives down there, not just their own but those japanese fishermen who have families and loved ones etc etc. If I had to fundraise for anyone, it'd be to mount a .50cal on the front of one of the whalers and see just how funny Sea Shepherd find the aggressive approach when the shoe is on the other foot. (quote LJ)

niga??? what's that?

I didn't say I agree or disagree with his protest actions, just saying he's a man with passion. Just Like many people through out history who have been pilloried in their times....not to suggest history won't see him as some hero, just saying the world is made up of many different folks , some sing the same song, and some bang the drums.

I lived in Norway, for 2 years, in 1987-89. during my time their I heard of many instance of protest on the open water over Whaling, Dolphin fishing etc, yet during my time there never heard peep about anything in the southern oceans...maybe that's becuase no one from the media was interested? mayhap the similar occurs the other way around?

As to wars over whaling having been won or lost... who knows? I don't nor claim to.
What I do know is that a harpoon in the head kills and makes anything beyond an autopsy for research pointless. Which is my principal and only comment in the original comments above. Can't observation teach them what they need to know? can't examining the carcass of countless stranded whales achieve the same goals?

let the Japanese be open about it, and say they take 1000 minke's, have a look at their guts and then sell the flesh back home to eat.

and I only eat free range pork or chicken and eggs personally.... :lol: Oh and Ive never claimed to be anything other than boringly normal and average :lol:
DSCN0166.JPG
about as free range as it gets! what used to be the back lawn!
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Thu 18/Feb/10 1:23pm

Nick_K wrote:
j2hyde wrote:I want to know why people get so uppity about what is probably the most benign fishing program around (Japanese whaling) when almost every other form of fishing is vastly more damaging to fish stocks? :eh:

Because whales are sexy.

And tuna is tasty
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby cooper770 on Thu 18/Feb/10 1:28pm

znomit wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
j2hyde wrote:I want to know why people get so uppity about what is probably the most benign fishing program around (Japanese whaling) when almost every other form of fishing is vastly more damaging to fish stocks? :eh:

Because whales are sexy.

And tuna is tasty

I'd agree if it tasted like chicken.....
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts