Kiwi Brevet

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 1/Sep/09 4:27pm

Follow their progress here =} http://www.kiwibrevet.blogspot.com/ and here =} http://trackleaders.com/kiwibrevet

We are planning to run a Great Divide style event in the South Island - a 1200 km, mixed terrain, self-supported cycle tour with a reasonably challenging time cut-off. Here's a map and some notes on the event (below).

We are still working through land access issues, which may well be resolved by requiring every rider to carry a personal locator beacon, but we thought we'd go public now so that you all have time to sort out gear, leave, fitness, etc.

We'll set up a dedicated blog shortly and then get some serious discussion going then. In the meantime, if you have any burning questions or comments, fire away.Feel free to pass this on to anyone who might be interested.

Kiwi Brevet

Proposed start date:

Noon, Sat 6th Feb 2010 (trying to get long days and good weather, but little holiday traffic).

Proposed course:

Start Blenheim, round Port Underwood road, Queen Charlotte Drive, Maungatapu Track, backroads to St Arnaud, Porika Track to Lake Rotoroa, Braeburn Track to Murchison, over Maruia Saddle backroads to Springs Junction, Rahu Saddle to Reefton, Big River and Waiuta Tracks, then backroads to Blackball, backroads to Jackson, over Arthurs Pass to Sheffield, Wharfedale Track, Lees Valley to Hanmer via back roads (?), Molesworth Station, Taylors Pass and then singletrack back to Blenhiem.

Approx 1200 km (note: our Google Map takes micro-shortcuts and under-estimates the total distance).

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112695328976832403070.00047034cc217e43981f8&z=8

Approx 50% sealed roads, 40% gravel roads, 6% 4WD, 4% singletrack

Proposed rules:

Do it all yourself, under your own steam.

Riders must carry all their own gear (i.e. no domistiques).

No outside support (deliveries only to public addresses, no support from friends along the way). Prior to the race you may only post supplies to post offices.

Follow 100% of the course.

Riders must carry a personal locator beacon, and agree to cover the cost of rescue in the event they need to be evacuated.

Times under 4 days will be recorded as 4 days, 0 hours. (We're not after an exercise in sleep deprivation).

Riders must finish in under 8 days.

Drafting is OK.

When on public roads, follow the Road Code.

Cell phones OK, but must not be used to call for food or supplies (or any other assistance) to be delivered (except to a public address/business).

Call-ins to be made from designated towns to an 0800 number.

In the event of Molesworth Station being closed to cyclists due to fire risk, riders are to proceed through the Rainbow Station and North Bank road.

No entry fee; no prizes.Some sort of koha will be requested for community charities along the route (yet to be determined).

That's all for now.
--
The Kennett Brothers
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Kiwi Brevet

Postby Monolith on Tue 1/Sep/09 5:33pm

Awesome.

Waiting on BikeNZ to suss dates for the NI/SI Cups and Nats before anything else, but this would be super fun.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Tue 1/Sep/09 5:36pm

who is this crazy "we" :ib:

Sounds like fun though :) If Melissa's going to be at the finish line, I'm particularly keen...

Sounds like a great way to use up some of the annual leave my employer's been hassling me about... :D
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Zoom on Tue 1/Sep/09 7:04pm

It says "Paul Kennett" on the google map
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby disoriented on Tue 1/Sep/09 9:21pm

That sounds like fun? wonder if i could get the time off work??
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Monolith on Tue 1/Sep/09 9:57pm

The more I look at the route the more inclined I am to flag the SI Cups in favour of a few days touring the mainland. While a heap of this is tarmac it's still very nice country, and with lots of gravel and 4wd thrown in still a good MTB event IMO. I've already started thinking about bike setup :blush: :D
Monolith

Postby sifter on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:01pm

Monolith wrote:The more I look at the route the more inclined I am to flag the SI Cups in favour of a few days touring the mainland. While a heap of this is tarmac it's still very nice country, and with lots of gravel and 4wd thrown in still a good MTB event IMO. I've already started thinking about bike setup :blush: :D

Choice! This is right up your alley I reckon!
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:02pm

I think you'll most likely find the SI cups will be in Jan this year, NI ones a bit later. Guessing
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby kleinboy on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:05pm

i would but I'm getting my hair done that week.

Ricky are we still on that week >
kleinboy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:09pm

kleinboy wrote:i would but I'm getting my hair done that week.

You bet ya big boy, I've been practising my pubic hair shaving in anticipation. I've got broken hearts with arrows in them down pat
SlackBoy

Postby kleinboy on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:11pm

SlackBoy wrote:
kleinboy wrote:i would but I'm getting my hair done that week.

You bet ya big boy, I've been practising my pubic hair shaving in anticipation. I've got broken hearts with arrows in them down pat

I've always thought, why wait to have a vasectomy to shave your nuts ?
kleinboy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Monolith on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:17pm

SlackBoy wrote:I think you'll most likely find the SI cups will be in Jan this year, NI ones a bit later. Guessing

Interesting... time will tell I suppose. I assume BikeNZ will fire out some email or something when dates/venues are finalised.
Monolith

Postby Tama on Wed 2/Sep/09 8:36am

I'm not really an event type of person - but I couldn't help thinking about this ride when I first heard about it. I'm probably off bikes for another month which would give me 3 months to prepare - from zero fitness...

...which is probably insane and impossible considering the 8 day limit...

...but worth thinking about...
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby thorg on Wed 2/Sep/09 11:28am

Tama wrote:I'm not really an event type of person - but I couldn't help thinking about this ride when I first heard about it. I'm probably off bikes for another month which would give me 3 months to prepare - from zero fitness...

Dont you have some sort of event/ceremony to be at down Otago way around that time? I dont know, brake burner or some OTHER type of thing? ;)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Tama on Wed 2/Sep/09 11:30am

thorg wrote:
Tama wrote:I'm not really an event type of person - but I couldn't help thinking about this ride when I first heard about it. I'm probably off bikes for another month which would give me 3 months to prepare - from zero fitness...

Dont you have some sort of event/ceremony to be at down Otago way around that time? I dont know, brake burner or some OTHER type of thing? ;)

Pfft... like I bother to check calendars before dreaming dreams about biking...

:huh: :blush:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Epic Riding | Events | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts