Re: Kiwi Brevet

Postby numbum on Mon 25/Jun/12 2:30pm

You can pencil me in :0)
numbum
"work to ride"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Mon 25/Jun/12 3:28pm

Eljefe wrote:Do you have a likely date Sifter?
I have a wedding next feb which may cause me problems : )

haven't got that far Jeff. I expect trying to subsume Waitangi...

numbum wrote:You can pencil me in :0)

Whoop whoop! Great!
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Simonk on Mon 25/Jun/12 7:23pm

mfw wrote:Cumon Simon how about teasing us with some 2014 details since we're all buzzing from the Tour Divide :ib:
Personally I need to start working on the wife for authorisation about now!

Well, it'll be on the 1-9th of February. Similar course to 2010 (in the anti-clockwise direction). We'll use some new tracks around Blenheim and Nelson. The weather will be fine, the food delicious and I expect lots of good company.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby hdb on Mon 25/Jun/12 9:56pm

Simonk wrote:Well, it'll be on the 1-9th of February. Similar course to 2010 (in the anti-clockwise direction). We'll use some new tracks around Blenheim and Nelson. The weather will be fine, the food delicious and I expect lots of good company.

Hmm, I wonder if my partner will have forgotten my disappearing for Tama's Longest Day Ride by then and I could sneak away for a week to do this? I keep threatening to do something like this for my mid-life crisis (cheaper than chasing an 18 y/o blonde bimbo, I suspect) :hmmm:

EDIT: Just sorting out this is for 2014, so I should be OK. That even opens me up for Sifter NI excursion (Te Tāwhio O Whanganui) which sounds most intriguing..
hdb
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby mfw on Wed 27/Feb/13 6:52am

Simonk wrote:
mfw wrote:Cumon Simon how about teasing us with some 2014 details...

Well, it'll be on the 1-9th of February. Similar course to 2010 (in the anti-clockwise direction). We'll use some new tracks around Blenheim and Nelson. The weather will be fine, the food delicious and I expect lots of good company.

Hey Simon, what time will 2014 edition start, 9am or midday? Obviously this could have an effect the first overnight stop.
I noticed 2010 was a 12pm start, and in 2012 brought forward to 9am.

Also, any tidbits on the new tracks around Nelson/Bhm? :D

Only 11 months to go now, time to start planning...
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Wed 27/Feb/13 2:56pm

mfw wrote:
Simonk wrote:

Hey Simon, what time will 2014 edition start, 9am or midday? Obviously this could have an effect the first overnight stop.

Are you planning on riding next year?
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Simonk on Wed 27/Feb/13 3:27pm

mfw wrote:
Simonk wrote:

Starting at noon gives plenty of options for travel to the event and accommodation at the end of the first day. We only started earlier last year because of Molesworth Station's daily closure at 7pm.

We'll avoid the beach section on the way to Rarangi.

On the way out of Nelson we'll follow the Great Taste Trail directly to Wakefield (no Wairoa Gorge Rd this time). That'll make it a lot easier to get to St Arnaud for lunch on day two (assuming you got over the Maungatapu Track on day one).
Simonk

Postby mfw on Wed 27/Feb/13 10:00pm

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:

Is the 2010 cue sheet available?, I want to start trying some of the local sections (around Nelson) to see what I'm getting myself into...

noel_whiteside wrote:Are you planning on riding next year?

Yes.
Time is a healer, I've just about got over my mental scars from the 2010 Petite Brevet :paranoid:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Simonk on Wed 27/Feb/13 10:15pm

mfw wrote:Thanks Simon :thumbsup:

Is the 2010 cue sheet available?, I want to start trying some of the local sections (around Nelson) to see what I'm getting myself into...

noel_whiteside wrote:Are you planning on riding next year?

Yes.
Time is a healer, I've just about got over my mental scars from the 2010 Petite Brevet :paranoid:

The 2010 cue sheets won't really help in that area. But if you follow the routes from Nelson to St Arnaud show on the NZ Cycle Trails map, you'll be right. Between Picton and Nelson it's just Queen Charlotte Drive and the Maungatapu Track.

Of course, the less you pre-ride the more of an adventure you'll have, so I wouldn't go overboard. You have so much other good riding in the top of the South!
Simonk

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Epic Riding | Events | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts