Kiwi Brevet 2014

Postby mfw on Sun 29/Sep/13 10:29am

The original Kiwi Brevet thread is getting a bit unwieldy so here's a new one, there was a dribble of 2014 discussion on the old thread so here's the link Kiwi Brevet

Also, links to the official site http://kiwibrevet.blogspot.co.nz/ and the Facebook page

So, 1st Feb 2014 start is only 4 months to go now, time to start thinking about training, and kit lists :D

I've got my ducks lined up as much as I can so it's all on for me at this stage :D
Any other vorbii signing up?

I'm using my 26'er Lappiere Zesty trail bike, at 140mm travel both ends it's a bit of an overkill for this course but it's the only bike I've got that's up to the job. And I managed to score a cheap rear shock with a lockout, so lockouts front and rear should make things more efficient on the road sections.

Current issue is finding aero bars that will fit, as my bars taper immediately after the stem. These are not so much for aerodynamics but for taking the load off the upper body muscles (with weight on elbows), giving more riding positions, and giving another anchor point to hang a drybag.

Next, there's how to strap drybags on securely, I like the Revelate seat bags etc but looking to reduce the budget might try a at a solution like this http://www.bikepacking.net/individual_s ... e-packing/ and hope I have tyre clearance.

Probably looking at 8 day schedule similar to Simons original proposal:
Simon wrote:Sat (noon start) - Blenheim to Havelock - 90 km
Sun - On to St Arnaud - 144 km
Mon - On to Springs Junction - 140 km
Tues - On to Jacksons - 180 km
Wed - On to Wharfedale/Townsend Hut - 156 km
Thurs - Thru to Hanmer - 150 km
Fri - Rest area at Hodder River - 135 km in the rainbow valley somewhere on the new course.
Sat - Finish in Blenheim - 70 km

Looking at about 4 nights in real accommodation and 3 bivvying or in cabins, might try and just carry thermarest, sleeping bag.
I like the tarp option many guys use, love the idea of being able to stop anywhere and be waterproof, but they seem to start at $120, then you've got ropes, pegs and poles to add to that, so might go into the too hard bin...
Last edited by mfw on Sun 29/Sep/13 2:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Kiwi Brevet 2014

Postby znomit on Sun 29/Sep/13 11:18am

Hmmm, 700km Brevette, just need a bike.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 29/Sep/13 3:31pm

I need a lie down just reading about it :blush:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Danny B on Mon 30/Sep/13 9:48pm

I'm giving some serious thought riding the Brevet (or Brevette) too. I'm wondering how hard going it will if I rode it on my Surly CrossCheck with 700x40c (1.6") tyres, MTB gearing and bikepacking style frame/saddle bags?

What are the trail sections like? Are there any sections of challenging and sustained singletrack? Thoughts appreciated. :)
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Mon 30/Sep/13 11:38pm

Read all the rider blogs and trawl the archives of the blog site - I think there's lots in there about the various track conditions. Kiwi Brevet :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 1/Oct/13 12:30am

mfw wrote:I like the tarp option many guys use, love the idea of being able to stop anywhere and be waterproof, but they seem to start at $120, then you've got ropes, pegs and poles to add to that, so might go into the too hard bin...

That's one expensive f-ing tarp :blink: What's wrong with a $10 Te Warewhare tarp?

I'd seriously be happy riding my giant seek with a couple of panniers for several days to pretty much anywhere. Stumbled upon a near-perfect bicycle when I bought that badboy. :love:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Tue 1/Oct/13 1:11am

mfw wrote:I like the tarp option many guys use, love the idea of being able to stop anywhere and be waterproof, but they seem to start at $120, then you've got ropes, pegs and poles to add to that, so might go into the too hard bin...

=}
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock
znomit

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 1/Oct/13 7:12am

I have recently had my leave confirmed for Brevet which is cool. Looking at similar time frame to the OP. I will be using a 26" wheeled hardtail, freeload rack and a medium sized camelbak on my back.

4 months to go makes it sound rather close, I still need to work on my gear list, and sort the finer points of planned stops etc
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby sifter on Tue 1/Oct/13 7:16am

For those that are interested, my gear list for trips like this is =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... /gear.html
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Farm on Tue 1/Oct/13 10:18am

It looks a long way when you see it written down like that.
I'm intending to take my singular gryphon (with gears). Although I may take my Trek 29er for the added comfort of a front shock. I have recently put aero bars in my road bike but it's taking a while to adjust. Will see how they go and decide closer to the time if I ride with them or not.
A freeload rack and small camelbak for gear and a yet to be purchased toptube or handle bar bag for stuff I want to get at while riding.
I'm ok with riding long days, I just need a bit more practice at getting up and doing it a few days in a row.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby stealth mode on Tue 1/Oct/13 1:22pm

single speed 29er rigid for comfort, thinking around 4.5 days
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Farm on Tue 1/Oct/13 3:02pm

stealth mode wrote:single speed 29er rigid for comfort, thinking around 4.5 days

That sounds decidedly uncomfortable.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby znomit on Tue 1/Oct/13 4:04pm

Farm wrote:
stealth mode wrote:single speed 29er rigid, for comfort thinking around 4.5 days

That sounds decidedly uncomfortable.

I tried moving the comma but it doesn't really help much.
znomit

Postby Colin on Tue 1/Oct/13 4:10pm

:D
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby WayneG on Tue 1/Oct/13 8:39pm

I'll be on my SS 29er, just trying to work out what gear ratio I'll use thinking 32*17 or 32*16. I'm not going to plan distances a day I'll just go until I've had enough LGR for the day.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts