Postby Colin on Wed 19/Feb/14 10:51pm

Fine reading.

No, doesn't make me want to do it.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Kiwi Brevet 2014

Postby mfw on Thu 20/Feb/14 8:35am

Hmm, Grumpyoldman is catching me up in the blogging :o

Here's day 6 and I've added a few bits to the earlier days and fixed a host of grammar errors. I'm banned from the blogging at home and work LOL so it's a bit thrown together sorry. http://mtbmartin.blogspot.co.nz/

Here's my 12 days post event update:
I ditched the crutches and knee brace a couple of days ago as the knee was improving fast, saw the Dr yesterday and he reckons it was quadraceps tendonitis in the knee and achilles tendonitis on both sides, all due to 'excessive overuse', funny that. So it looks like it will be weeks rather than months I'm out of action, so that's sweet.

He gave me the green light to try some light exercise again. So I hopped on the bike this morning for the 4km ride to work, but all of the above items are still too painful to ride comfortably, unbelievably also I felt saddle sore straight away! Guess I'll try again in a few more days.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Thu 20/Feb/14 2:25pm

I like that there is a category of endeavour that is termed "excessive overuse". Takes the significance of what you breveters have done up a notch :crazy:
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby dented on Sat 22/Feb/14 7:28am

I would love to hear some account of this ride from Thomas, however brief it may be. Can anyone tell me if he has blogged about it anywhere?
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Sat 22/Feb/14 11:58am

Grumpyoldman wrote:For those who care I've started writing about my Brevet.

http://grumpyridesagain.blogspot.co.nz/

That was an awesome read, and huge achievement.
Thanks for sharing Dave :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Sat 22/Feb/14 12:01pm

dented wrote:I would love to hear some account of this ride from Thomas, however brief it may be. Can anyone tell me if he has blogged about it anywhere?

Dave Sharpe as well - he appears to have fallen off the interwebs since smashing the Brevet to pieces?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Grumpyoldman on Sat 22/Feb/14 1:58pm

Thanks Ben, Colin, Dean, Jeff and anyone else who has read it.

Days 6 & 7
Plus a final entry, just some general ramblings to tie things up.

https://grumpyridesagain.blogspot.com
Grumpyoldman
"Hood Ornament"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Colin on Sat 22/Feb/14 9:26pm

Great read. Fantastic effort mate.

Lolz that all those hours, and poo was more important than discovering the secret to world peace.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby mfw on Mon 24/Feb/14 6:53pm

Right, I've written up the last few days (the painful ones), a couple more pics, and some rambling at the end.
http://mtbmartin.blogspot.co.nz/

Now I can go and read the other's blogs, which I've been avoiding until now ;)

DSC_0004.JPG
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby scatter on Mon 24/Feb/14 7:55pm

Thanks for the blog posts everyone.

From a blue dot follower :)

P.S. I had the pleasure of flying over the Lees Valley last night as we circled whilst waiting for the electrical storm to clear Chch Airport........boy that's some big, isolated country in there.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby magpie1 on Mon 24/Feb/14 8:23pm

mfw wrote:Right, I've written up the last few days (the painful ones), a couple more pics, and some rambling at the end.
http://mtbmartin.blogspot.co.nz/

Now I can go and read the other's blogs, which I've been avoiding until now ;)

DSC_0004.JPG

Great Read, Thanks for sharing and well done on an amazing achievement.
magpie1
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Mon 24/Feb/14 8:48pm

As Scatter says, thanks to all of you who have shared your incredible stories. They are inspirational and terrifying all at the same time, and make me glad I've never done a Brevet while making me want to do one real bad. Cheers all! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 24/Feb/14 9:11pm

scatter wrote:P.S. I had the pleasure of flying over the Lees Valley last night as we circled whilst waiting for the electrical storm to clear Chch Airport........boy that's some big, isolated country in there.

It felt like a pretty big, lonely place for a while there.
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Thu 20/Mar/14 8:37am

Sorry, can't let this thread die just yet :D

Here's my post Brevet recovery diary, (recovering from quadriceps tendonitis and 2 * achilles tendonitis):

=} Week 1: Crutches and knee brace

=} Week 2-3: Started short walks and 4km commute rides but quite limited before soreness kicked in

=} Week 4: Soreness started to turn into stiffness

=} Week 5: Short gentle hill ride at end of week

=} Week 6: Road race at low pace (E grade, supporting a friend), got dropped, but a 1 hour ride felt like a major milestone.

Just done a short hill ride on roadie and now feeling like on the road to recovery and fitness again :)

Looking forward to trying a MTB ride but worried about the unpredictability of the loads on the descent so will stick to roadie for a while.

And looking forward to a new vorb thread, LONZ, when the Kennetts get around to it, any teasers Simon?
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby Eljefe on Thu 20/Mar/14 8:40am

Eljefe

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts