Re: Kiwi Brevet 2014

Postby mfw on Wed 12/Feb/14 9:25am

Cure for achilles - rest!? What drugs are you taking? Hope you can get back on your bike soon.

I can't really assess my achilles (painful on both sides) until I've got the knee sorted. Went for x-rays on the knee yesterday. Dr's said "something has come off the top of the knee", there was disagreement amongst them what it was - maybe torn/ruptured tendon? Regardless, the result is a knee brace and crutches, and a cocktail of pain killers for a while. Explains why I was in such pain for the last 3 days.

My photoblog will be a bit more of an upbeat version of events as my original post was done before I got my pain management sorted (opiates FTW!)
mfw
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Eljefe on Wed 12/Feb/14 9:36am

mfw wrote:Cure for achilles - rest!? What drugs are you taking? Hope you can get back on your bike soon.

I can't really assess my achilles (painful on both sides) until I've got the knee sorted. Went for x-rays on the knee yesterday. Dr's said "something has come off the top of the knee", there was disagreement amongst them what it was - maybe torn/ruptured tendon? Regardless, the result is a knee brace and crutches, and a cocktail of pain killers for a while. Explains why I was in such pain for the last 3 days.

My photoblog will be a bit more of an upbeat version of events as my original post was done before I got my pain management sorted (opiates FTW!)

ha ha! Man, sounds like you are in a bad way. I should stop whinging and HTFU. Get well soon bud. I just got a text from the guy whose pedal I borrowed on Arthurs Pass, I sent him a gift package yesterday arvo and he has it already. Its a crazy world.
Eljefe
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Giantguy on Wed 12/Feb/14 7:20pm

I only saw one person ride the Craigieburn option - Andy Gilbert on his Surly Krampus 29x3 monster wheels. Did anyone else ride it? Andy and Tony rode 2012 Brevet on his tandem - another huge mission! Well done on the ride to all and good to see the numbers out there.
Giantguy
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 12/Feb/14 7:22pm

I rode the first 2 trails, coal pit spur and sidle 73, both great fun,
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby andyg on Wed 12/Feb/14 9:34pm

Looking at your spot tracker course I think you rode a few tracks that nobody else rode. I hesitated at the same point after blowing up my GPS and having no distance recorder, I had trouble working out which pass was Lees Pass. :hmmm:
andyg
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby tanadog on Wed 12/Feb/14 10:00pm

Not sure what is the proper treatment for munted achillies. Anyone? Its the first time I have ever had anything like it. Not sure of the cause. Longer days? Enforced SSing?

Mate, Ive never seen anyone push so hard for so long. I can't believe you kept coming back like Elvis when we thought due to your various mechanicals you were gone for all money. I guessing something had to give. Look after yourself eh!
tanadog
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Eljefe on Wed 12/Feb/14 10:27pm

Heres my "report". Its pretty dry, but there wasn't that much time to smell the roses : )
http://jeffsbike.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/kiwi-brevet-2014-long-player.html
Last edited by Eljefe on Mon 17/Feb/14 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eljefe

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 12/Feb/14 11:02pm

andyg wrote:Looking at your spot tracker course I think you rode a few tracks that nobody else rode. I hesitated at the same point after blowing up my GPS and having no distance recorder, I had trouble working out which pass was Lees Pass. :hmmm:

yup, I didn't work it out :( , yes spent a whole lot of time going round in circles in the wrong valley.
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Eljefe on Wed 12/Feb/14 11:15pm

andyg wrote:Looking at your spot tracker course I think you rode a few tracks that nobody else rode. I hesitated at the same point after blowing up my GPS and having no distance recorder, I had trouble working out which pass was Lees Pass. :hmmm:

What happened to your gps Andy? Sounds like bad luck : (
Eljefe

Postby mfw on Wed 12/Feb/14 11:50pm

DSC_0123 crop.JPG
mfw

Postby mfw on Thu 13/Feb/14 8:06am

pushbikerider wrote:

yup, I didn't work it out :( , yes spent a whole lot of time going round in circles in the wrong valley.

We too made a navigational mistake there, overshooting 'The Brothers' turnoff, but after about 10 mins we started questioning ourselves, backtracked and found the correct turn.

The other tricky area of navigation was at the double river crossing at the end of the Wharfdale, very confusing, I don't know if it was covered in the Kennet bros book but maybe it could have merited a special mention in the briefing...
mfw

Postby mfw on Thu 13/Feb/14 8:38am

Been pondering what a singletrack Brevet option could look like, with as much singletrack as possible using road linking sections, and adding a transport leg to remove the constraint of returning to the start point.

A top of South option could look something like this:

=} Water taxi from Picton to Ship Cove.
=} Queen Charlotte walkway Ship Cove > Anakiwa
=} Nydia track to Duncan Bay
=} Manguatapu
=} [Add in reverse Coppermine here if you want to be nasty]
=} Nelson
=} Great taste trail / Ruby bay to Motueka
=} Takaka hill, Canaan Downs > Rameka tracks
=} Takaka > Collingwood
=} Heaphy > Karamea

Or possibly in reverse, helicopter from Picton to Karamea to start(I know a guy who can organise this relatively cheaply) and return to Picton.

Footnote: Just putting it out there, not signing up or anything!

I'm no SimonK though so it will probably never happen...
mfw

Postby Slim on Thu 13/Feb/14 9:10am

back via old ghost road and st arnard to nelson?
Slim
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby andyg on Thu 13/Feb/14 10:35am

Eljefe wrote:

What happened to your gps Andy? Sounds like bad luck : (

Garmin known fault, I let it run flat while tracking. It needed rebooting with a Garmin Connect program connection, I didn't have the right cables to try and do it with my phone.

I used the paper backup version, It would have helped if I remembered that the brother's were the two huts and the rest was a breeze.

You have to remember that the last time I rode it I had Tony stoking, running the nav suite on the tandem. He had his own speedo hocoked up off the rear wheel so was calling all of the distances and turns. :)
andyg
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Thu 13/Feb/14 4:40pm

Linkwater and Wakamarina between QCW and Nydia
Colin

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts