michael wrote:Nice pictures!

Word.

This is well worth reading too =} http://www.velocrazy.blogspot.co.nz/
sifter
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Kiwi Brevet 2014

Postby mfw on Mon 10/Feb/14 2:30pm

snr_merv wrote:Hi Guys,
Absolutely amazing experience, the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. If you're thinking about it, do it.

Cheers,
Vaughan Watson

Great report :thumbsup:

-----------------------------------
I finished yesterday.

Amazing experience but ABSOLUTELY NEVER AGAIN, feel like I have aged 10 years after what this put me through!

Final tallies:

1166km
7 days and 22.5 hours elapsed time (1.5 hours inside cutoff).
99 hours riding (12.5 per day average)
2 flats
2 bee/wasp stings
1 proper crash
Wept: twice, end of day 8 and first 10km of day 9 (haven't done that since I was a child!).
Put on 1kg weight (lots of eating!).
3 nights bivvying: in a field, on a disused conveyor belt, and in a shearing shed
Great doing it as team of two, Muzz and I were proud to be the last ones to finish!
$10400 raised for charity and counting

First half of the event was about tiredness and exhaustion. Then body seemed to adapt, and final days were about pain management. My actions in the last 3 days, pushing on with injuries, make me either courageous or a fool. Only time will tell.

On day 7 both achilles and one knee notified me that they had had enough, the pain I pushed through on days 8 and 9 was excruciating at times, but I stubbornly decided I had to finish this to ensure I NEVER had to do this sort of thing again!

Having said all that, I have a bunch of memories and experiences that will last a lifetime, an amazing sense of achievement.

Might put together a photoblog in the next few days.
mfw
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby ringo on Mon 10/Feb/14 2:50pm

Wow mfw, that sounds like quite an experience, and quite different to my own (as recorded in the blog link above). It shows how much the approach (e.g. camping vs motels), and incidents/injuries etc affect the overall experience a lot, and make it such an interesting thing to hear about how others saw it through their eyes!
ringo
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby ringo on Mon 10/Feb/14 3:08pm

By the way, fantastic effort on the fundraising - others will benefit from your pain! :thumbsup:
ringo
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Mon 10/Feb/14 4:32pm

sifter

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 10/Feb/14 5:03pm

Damn good reading.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Mon 10/Feb/14 5:42pm

True brevet camaraderie
pushbikerider, I'll let you tell the story :D

DSC_0035.jpg
mfw
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 10/Feb/14 9:02pm

Short goes something like;

A couple of days before this pic was taken I was rolling down the Waiuta trail, and saw a jandal on the trail, it looked like it hadn't been there long, and I thought that it would belong to a felow Brevet rider. So I picked it up, tied it to my set of jandals on the freeload, and asked a couple of the riders that I saw over the next day or so if it was theres (just trying to get it back) turns out the guy whose Jandal it was was a bit in front of me and hadn't stayed the night at blackball, but not far up the road, anyway a day or so later and I roll into Otira and there is a rider there, and Martin points out that this is the guy who lost a jandal, so handed the jandal over, sadly I cannot remember the rides name. He sadly had to pull out due to knee issues that meant he could no longer ride the rest of the event.

Cool thing was I saw him a day later when he rode out to the turn off to the warfdale (on his Moto) to see how I was going, as I also had been (still) dealing with knee pain

I've got more things going on in my head about Brevet, hopefully I can get some clear thoughts written in the next few days. A few days of real highs and real lows
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Mon 10/Feb/14 11:53pm

It was a great attempt, Deano. Glad you are okay, and well bloody done. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 11/Feb/14 7:37am

Totes bro
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Tue 11/Feb/14 8:18am

Oli wrote:It was a great attempt, Deano. Glad you are okay, and well bloody done. :thumbsup:

:withstupid:

WORD! Nice one Dean - an amazing ride.
sifter

Postby Slim on Tue 11/Feb/14 8:24am

I am in two minds with all this. After the stage race I've wanted to do something else a bit silly for some new stories.

For, the accounts of peoples rides are inspiring.
Against, picking Dean up from the middle of nowhere lost, a little broken and hungry.
Slim
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby neels on Tue 11/Feb/14 8:25am

mfw wrote:True brevet camaraderie
pushbikerider, I'll let you tell the story :D

DSC_0035.jpg

I recognise that face, was looking for him on the way home from Hokitika on Wednesday, hadn't seen him and then got a txt in Springfield telling me his knees had given up and he was headed home. Hopefully the strange man in the white car peering at the brevet riders on the way past while I was looking wasn't too disturbing :paranoid:

Great effort by all of the participants :thumbsup:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Eljefe on Wed 12/Feb/14 8:25am

mfw wrote:
Absolutely amazing experience, the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. If you're thinking about it, do it.

Cheers,
Vaughan Watson

I finished yesterday.

Amazing experience but ABSOLUTELY NEVER AGAIN, feel like I have aged 10 years after what this put me through!

Final tallies:

1166km
2 flats
2 bee/wasp stings
1 proper crash
Wept: twice, end of day 8 and first 10km of day 9 (haven't done that since I was a child!).
3 nights bivvying: in a field, on a disused conveyor belt, and in a shearing shed
Great doing it as team of two, Muzz and I were proud to be the last ones to finish!

First half of the event was about tiredness and exhaustion. Then body seemed to adapt, and final days were about pain management. My actions in the last 3 days, pushing on with injuries, make me either courageous or a fool. Only time will tell.

On day 7 both achilles and one knee notified me that they had had enough, the pain I pushed through on days 8 and 9 was excruciating at times, but I stubbornly decided I had to finish this to ensure I NEVER had to do this sort of thing again!

Having said all that, I have a bunch of memories and experiences that will last a lifetime, an amazing sense of achievement.

Definitely put together a photo-blog and we can pimp it on the Kiwi Brevet Blog. Good effort. I tried to ride to work today but had to turn back. Its been nearly a week since I finished but my achillies are not good. I could tell I was doing them damage at the time. Not sure what is the proper treatment for munted achillies. Anyone? Its the first time I have ever had anything like it. Not sure of the cause. Longer days? Enforced SSing?
Eljefe
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby UZUMATI on Wed 12/Feb/14 9:19am

Eljefe wrote:
mfw wrote:

Cheers,
Vaughan Watson

I finished yesterday.

Final tallies:

1166km
2 flats
2 bee/wasp stings
1 proper crash

Definitely put together a photo-blog and we can pimp it on the Kiwi Brevet Blog. Good effort. I tried to ride to work today but had to turn back. Its been nearly a week since I finished but my achillies are not good. I could tell I was doing them damage at the time. Not sure what is the proper treatment for munted achillies. Anyone? Its the first time I have ever had anything like it. Not sure of the cause. Longer days? Enforced SSing?

Top effort on finishing a brevet...I remember way back Zinzan brooke supposedly thinking of doing the "fried eggs" thing. LOL. Unfortunately Achillies is usually time, rest, physio etc although one of my mates speed things up by having a blood injection into the achillies. Although that was last resort for an overuse syndrome...Mind you that sounds like brevet to me...lol
Other options from a previous 2010 vorb post...
[quote from a previous vorb post]

Yeah, Zinzan Brooke, preparing for the Rugby World Cup 1995. He'd snapped an Achilles tendon (in an AB trial game?) and was doing sessions in a decompression chamber at the navy base, I think, to try and speed up the healing process. He was trying everything sensible.

As you say, Barbsarama, he would have put a fried egg on the injury if the theory was there. And he might even have worn compression garments if someone had claimed they would help, mos def. But back then, decompression was the way to go![/quote]
UZUMATI
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts