Re: Kiwi Brevet 2014

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 6/Feb/14 8:58am

tanadog wrote:For all you vorbers who are now blue dot junkies, here's a bit of an update from the field. Apparently I'm (Brian A) still camped in the burbs of Blenheim, must have turned my spot off too soon after reaching Seymour Square last evening with Steve Halligan......

Anyways, a few thoughts:
Apart from the amazing Dave, it's interesting that there were a lot of full sussers up near the front of the field. I'm on a Genius 740, Steve on a Spec Epic (with skinny tyres), Nathan on his Rocky Mtn, Cliff on a Scapel. Sure made the single track fun, and eased the pain on the backside bigtime. Jeff Lyall was incredible on his Surly, blew a pedal up Otira, borrowed a bear trap in Arthurs Pass, lost his derailleur in the Wharfedale, hung in there on a ss to the finish. Incredible riding and resolve not to chuck in the towel.

Re Craigieburn single track: When you're battling an easterly & trying to make Sheffield/ Springfield b4 the pub shuts (just!) food is the only thing on your mind. As for St James, impressive ride by Cliff to do that too - I defintely didn't want to to ride/ push Malings as well at that stage of the game....

Highlights: Nailing it into Nelson, Braeburn Track, night ride into Big River, Waiuta was dry! discovering the windfall had been cleared in the Wharfedale, riding with a great crew (Steve, Jeff & Cliff for a few days), hammering the last 10ks to get a burger in Sheffield, chocolate milk & pie in renwick, either bivvying or hutting every night....the feeling of being self-contained.
Lows: Wondering if my knee would hold out on the haul through to Arthurs (it did), Heat through Hawarden backed up by head winds to Hanmer, Northbank with deep gravel, a v sore butt and more headwinds....

Great event, great insight into ones' own capabilities. It seems to be all about the head game. Love (nearly) every moment of it and felt incredibly lucky to be able to be out there doing it.
Hi Brian, bloody great effort, watching all the blue dots has been inspiring. I've decided that I need to ride next one. :crazy:

Great event.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Thu 6/Feb/14 12:49pm

tanadog wrote:For all you vorbers who are now blue dot junkies, here's a bit of an update from the field. Apparently I'm (Brian A) still camped in the burbs of Blenheim, must have turned my spot off too soon after reaching Seymour Square last evening with Steve Halligan......

Anyways, a few thoughts:
Apart from the amazing Dave, it's interesting that there were a lot of full sussers up near the front of the field. I'm on a Genius 740, Steve on a Spec Epic (with skinny tyres), Nathan on his Rocky Mtn, Cliff on a Scapel. Sure made the single track fun, and eased the pain on the backside bigtime. Jeff Lyall was incredible on his Surly, blew a pedal up Otira, borrowed a bear trap in Arthurs Pass, lost his derailleur in the Wharfedale, hung in there on a ss to the finish. Incredible riding and resolve not to chuck in the towel.

Re Craigieburn single track: When you're battling an easterly & trying to make Sheffield/ Springfield b4 the pub shuts (just!) food is the only thing on your mind. As for St James, impressive ride by Cliff to do that too - I defintely didn't want to to ride/ push Malings as well at that stage of the game....

Highlights: Nailing it into Nelson, Braeburn Track, night ride into Big River, Waiuta was dry! discovering the windfall had been cleared in the Wharfedale, riding with a great crew (Steve, Jeff & Cliff for a few days), hammering the last 10ks to get a burger in Sheffield, chocolate milk & pie in renwick, either bivvying or hutting every night....the feeling of being self-contained.
Lows: Wondering if my knee would hold out on the haul through to Arthurs (it did), Heat through Hawarden backed up by head winds to Hanmer, Northbank with deep gravel, a v sore butt and more headwinds....

Great event, great insight into ones' own capabilities. It seems to be all about the head game. Love (nearly) every moment of it and felt incredibly lucky to be able to be out there doing it.

Huge effort mate, well done :)
sifter
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Colin on Thu 6/Feb/14 9:05pm

Today I rode my bike 45k in the Nelson heat today, with vehicle assistance that gave more descending. Fantastic day, but I'm well tired.

Hugely impressed with those who still haven't their day.

Bravo good buddies Dave, Dean and Paul.

(Big greasey breakfasts > muesli)
Colin
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Fri 7/Feb/14 9:30am

one more guest blog from me =} http://kiwibrevet.blogspot.co.nz/2014/0 ... -race.html

Simon spent all afternoon in Hanmer Springs yesterday having ridden from Springs Junction. I hope he got to see a few of the brevet riders as they passed though.
sifter

Postby ryda on Fri 7/Feb/14 10:11am

Intrigued by where Dean stopped last night,
looking at google maps it doesn't seem much more than the middle of a paddock ?
looks like the Nichols/Wilkinson Martin/Murray team stopped about 1km up the road....
Not sure but I didn't think Dean had a lot of camping gear with him? (maybe emergency sleeping bag and blanket),
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby dented on Fri 7/Feb/14 1:01pm

sifter wrote:one more guest blog from me =} http://kiwibrevet.blogspot.co.nz/2014/0 ... -race.html

Simon spent all afternoon in Hanmer Springs yesterday having ridden from Springs Junction. I hope he got to see a few of the brevet riders as they passed though.

NIce one sifter.

I have followed the KB since it started, but I havent before felt the urge to actually give it a go. Until now that is. I really enjoyed reading what the girls-on-holiday had written on the brevet blog yesterday. Thats the sort of attitude I would like to take if somebody else does pick the ball up and organise another. Im definitely a 'brevette' sort of rider, and for me I think I would like to find another rider (or 2) and plan to ride it together. The person Im thinking of probably knows who he is too.
dented
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Fri 7/Feb/14 1:44pm

Oh dear, looks like Dean's been exploring...!
sifter

Postby ryda on Fri 7/Feb/14 2:08pm

I thought he might have been heading up the hill for a photo opp.... but now I cant be sure and he is now back tracking, dropped something or lost ?...
ryda
"WTF"

Postby sifter on Fri 7/Feb/14 2:34pm

ryda wrote:I thought he might have been heading up the hill for a photo opp.... but now I cant be sure and he is now back tracking, dropped something or lost ?...

oh shit, I hadn't seen him start back-tracking... That doesn't look good...
sifter

Postby ryda on Fri 7/Feb/14 2:49pm

sifter wrote:
ryda wrote:I thought he might have been heading up the hill for a photo opp.... but now I cant be sure and he is now back tracking, dropped something or lost ?...

no and he has now gone further in to the hills.... lost ???, I hope he has plenty of food on board
ryda
"WTF"

Postby sifter on Fri 7/Feb/14 2:52pm

ryda wrote:
sifter wrote:

no and he has now gone further in to the hills.... lost ???, I hope he has plenty of food on board

I'm glad he's carrying a SPOT.
sifter

Postby mfw on Fri 7/Feb/14 3:23pm

ryda wrote:Intrigued by where Dean stopped last night,
looking at google maps it doesn't seem much more than the middle of a paddock ?
looks like the Nichols/Wilkinson Martin/Murray team stopped about 1km up the road....
Not sure but I didn't think Dean had a lot of camping gear with him? (maybe emergency sleeping bag and blanket),

Yep, warfare was v hard and slow. Dean passed us when I got a flat. He must have bivvied once out of warfdale. I was / am suffering with Achilles/calfs so bivvied in a shearing shed. Now in Culverdon. Heading for hanmer tonight. Martin.
mfw
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby spiderweb on Sat 8/Feb/14 7:24am

Hope the weather isn't too bad and Martin and Co and Paul, and others get back to Blenheim today. Really cool to watch. Sad for Dean, and he'll be gutted but he'll bounce back - a super guy, always willing to help others.
spiderweb
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby snr_merv on Sun 9/Feb/14 11:40am

Hi Guys,

Not posted here in a while! My Brevet adventure was awesome, 6 days flogging myself through the
South Island on my rigid singlespeed with the minimum of gear (still quite a bit).

I navigated mostly using the last cue sheet sent out, it had a few innacuracies in distances and also had some strange wording. My maps were woefully inadequate, they were just made from Google maps and the free online topo maps. I annotated them etc., but I always seemed to be missing the bits where I got lost! I rode about 50km extra in wrong turns and back tracking. There were plenty of times where I was nearly out of supplies and still a couple of hours from the next shop. The odd time the shop was even closed or I took a wrong turn to make it further away. Some of the distances belied the extreme difficulty and amount of energy required to make it to the next town!

I was intending this to be a solo vision quest type deal, but I was never far from other riders, and often leapfrogged with the same 12 or so riders for most of the ride. There was an excellent soccial element to the ride, especially in the odd occasion where I had to stay with riders to use their superior navigation, or when we all seemed to stop at the same cafe, having not seen each other all day.

My philosophy for the ride was that it was about riding mountainbike tracks that had to be accessed from tar seal or gravel roads. My set up was designed to make cool tracks still shreddable, with a Revelate seat bag being the only gear on the bike so that it still handled properly in the tech. Often on the flat gravel I was spun out in my gear, and majorly suffering with my saddle and knee/tendon niggles. When I had the chance to really use my legs or bike handling skills though, it was some of my greatest times ever on a bicycle.

I slept in a ditch near Nelson, huddled in trees in a park in Reefton, pitched my tent fly in long grass which ate some of my smaller supplies, slept on the side of the Wharfdale after some backtracking from the bewildering river section, and finally in a $20 unpowered cabin in Hanmer to avoid the rain until the morning's improved forecast.

The GPS says I climbed 17km vertical over 1170km of distance. I rode 4 days at 200km or more, the shortest day being 140 after a hard 50km gnarly MTB through Big River and back tracking a 10km wrong turn out of Ikamatua.

Absolutely amazing experience, the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. If you're thinking about it, do it.

Cheers,
Vaughan Watson
IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3756.JPG
IMG_3858.JPG
sheep.jpg
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3906.JPG
snr_merv
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby michael on Mon 10/Feb/14 1:40pm

Nice pictures!
michael
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts