Killdevil Karma Going To Get Someone...

Postby bikeplay07 on Wed 9/Sep/09 8:03pm

I recently moved to the takaka valley a short distnace from the killdevil track. I love that trail just the way it is, fantastic challenging technical singletrack. However my conscience was telling me that my twice weekly rides was probably having the most impact of any user and I owed it to the trail to do my bit, as I said I love it the way it is but there were a couple of areas in the first section where the water runs down the track causing erosion and leaving a rut for mtber's to erode further.

So I thought I'd take a shovel up and divert the water and fill in the ruts. So I did that on Sunday and decided to leave the shovel up there for future maintainence, foolishly I left it in plain view of the track naively thinking that someone else might put the tool to good use.

So i was gutted to ride up there today to find the shovel gone! 3 days later!

I don't want to speculate on what sort of user decided that what I was doing was deprimental to the point of being malicious enough to steal/throw the shovel in the bush, BUT IT REALLY SUCKS!

I don't give a rats ass about the shovel but why?

Fortunately this event has inspired me to continue making a small effort for the good of all users of the Killdevil hikers and bikers alike so I'll take another tool up there but this time I'll hide it. I've never done any trail building/maintainence before so would appreciate any feedback about what I've done, or what I shouldn't do.

Those that have riden KD will know how awesome it is to have this facility open, for those that haven't I fully rate it as some of the best technical riding in the South Island Check it out.

To whoever took the shovel I hope karma comes and gets you and fall over on your face on a slippery rut!
bikeplay07
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Killdevil Karma Going To Get Someone...

Postby Tama on Wed 9/Sep/09 8:10pm

It may not of been a rider. There's plenty of other users out there who feel an obsessive (and often self righteous) sense of ownership over certain tracks.

The flipside is it could of just been someone thinking they were tidying up the track :)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby bikeplay07 on Wed 9/Sep/09 8:20pm

as I said I don't want to speculate on what type of user this dropkick is
bikeplay07

Postby Trail on Thu 10/Sep/09 8:52am

bikeplay07 wrote:I've never done any trail building/maintainence before so would appreciate any feedback about what I've done, or what I shouldn't do.

Good on you for making an effort!

Couple of things.
1. It is usually good to get permission from the people who are currently in charge of doing maintenance of the track (DOC I suspect) to assist in maintaining the track. If you talk about making it safer and more enjoyable for users they would hopefully give you permission. It may have been the current caretakers of the track that removed your tool.

2. If you have not had trail building/maintenance experience I would suggest getting some trail building training with people who do a lot of trail building. There might even be some people/clubs around your region who are building. Often if you offer to go help build they will teach you all sorts of techniques and methods while you work. Otherwise get your hands on the trail building bible from IMBA. http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_bui ... tions.html Ground Effect often have copies of this, and I am sure that other copies can be found around New Zealand.

You can have a read through some of their trail building tips here http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_bui ... tions.html
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby pissface on Thu 10/Sep/09 9:20am

It's probably nothing to do with any criticism of the trail work you were doing.

maybe some fuck head just stole the shovel.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby onyabike on Thu 10/Sep/09 9:44am

good on you for the track work. but yeah always hide tools well. ive had digging tools pinched even when they were hidden. or, i like to think, maybe i forgot which gorse bush they were under.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Guy Trainor on Thu 10/Sep/09 1:27pm

Awesome! Another enthusiastic track builder/maintainer in the Top o' the South :thumbsup:

Twice a week up Kill Devil :o . Jeez, I did it once and it damn near killed me! Mind you, it was in the middle of Summer and all of my water was gone halfway up :(

If the GB guys haven't nabbed you already, come over & join us @ Kaiteriteri on a Sunday morning. Happy to show you the principles of track-building (per IMBA) and share what we're learning about how to save'n'restore our steep downhill tracks.

Now I better nip out there and hide all of the tools I've left scattered along our latest track...
Guy Trainor
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby bikeplay07 on Thu 10/Sep/09 6:51pm

Dude, I've had a lot to do with DOC in my life and if I approach them for permission to maintain this trail I bet it will become a paper trail the length of the national downhill course before I get to pick up a shovel...Anyway I doubt DOC has touched KD for a few years, anybody know often?

Thanks for the info about the IMBA trail building guide, I'll get myself a copy...

I have so little time to ride that I struggle with the concept of dedicating time and energy to a trail i might only ride annually, but I FULLY APPREICATE the efforts that those put it into other trails, but the idea of doing the repairs at KD is because of my impact, and hopefully for others to enjoy.
bikeplay07

Postby mitch7 on Sat 12/Sep/09 1:56pm

have you got a Resource Consent for the shovel/spade? :) ....LOL

Probably one of those Forest and Bird types who think they own/control every bit of bush in NZ... :) ...

have you tried looking for shovel. most dickheads will throw them further into the bush.
Try to estimate how far the average left wing radical could throw a shovel,(its not far, as they usually only write letters to DoC and Newspaper editors) then walk a circle on that radius.

But good on you mate :thumbsup: ...your doing a good deed, and some dick has poked nose in.
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby onyabike on Sat 12/Sep/09 2:22pm

bikeplay07 wrote:Anyway I doubt DOC has touched KD for a few years, anybody know often?

DOC have recently put considerable effort into restoring the Waingaro Forks hut - and only a few years back restored Riordans hut. I was on Kil Devil April this year and the grass and over hanging gorse/vegetation was freshly whacked back then.
I wonder how many spades the old timers wore out when the track was originally built?
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby bikeplay07 on Sat 12/Sep/09 9:49pm

Yep waingaro forks hut is primo, its great to see the hut maintain its heritage feel. Since posting I've heard that DOC go up there annually with the scrub bar, but never touch dirt. how eroded does it have to become... if i requested permission i would have to get a concession. Don't get me wrong DOC do a great job with my the meager income they get from my taxes :p . I'm taking another shovel up there tomorrow...
bikeplay07

Postby pedalhed on Tue 15/Sep/09 9:36pm

Yep I have done the Kildevil quite regularly over the last few years and have never seen any maintenance on the track itself but then it has been there for over a hundered years.the good thing about the Kildevil is that it is so well built that it never really needs maintenance it is just as good everytime I have done it and long may it last.
Everytime i ride it i nail something that i didnt the time before ... Its the challenge and gutbusting nature of the uphill and the bonejarring , visionblurring nature of the descent that makes it such a great track , not to mention the scenery.
Long may the Kildevil remain the same
pedalhed
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby bikeplay07 on Wed 16/Sep/09 9:32am

pedalhed wrote:Yep I have done the Kildevil quite regularly over the last few years and have never seen any maintenance on the track itself but then it has been there for over a hundered years.the good thing about the Kildevil is that it is so well built that it never really needs maintenance it is just as good everytime I have done it and long may it last.
Everytime i ride it i nail something that i didnt the time before ... Its the challenge and gutbusting nature of the uphill and the bonejarring , visionblurring nature of the descent that makes it such a great track , not to mention the scenery.
Long may the Kildevil remain the same

Well said... no doubt about it they don't make tracks like that anymore, amazing to think its hand built. The two short sections I amended have definetly improved, I certainly don't want to change the rugged challenge that the KD is.
bikeplay07

Cycling | Golden Bay | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Upper South Island - Latest Posts