Re: R.i.p Kelly Mcgarry

Postby Dougal on Wed 3/Feb/16 7:03pm

Fraser wrote:Sad to see such an inspirational guy die. Is there any reason why a bloke in his mid 30s dies of a heart attack? Has anyone spent time riding or spending time outside of riding with Kelly? Was there anything odd that contributed to this or any other person in his family have heart problems which led him to sport?

Heart conditions are not unheard of in road cycling where people do too much endurance training too young. Their hearts end up enlarged but with thin walls. Back when I was in high school a guy my age died of just that while out training on a road bike.

But this may have nothing to do with Kelly.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby adikt on Wed 3/Feb/16 7:10pm

A (very) little more info here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/76526905/c ... rrys-death

Often a predisposition to such things goes undiagnosed because it's not a noticeable problem in daily life. Until it is.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby Fraser on Wed 3/Feb/16 9:43pm

adikt wrote:A (very) little more info here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/76526905/c ... rrys-death

Often a predisposition to such things goes undiagnosed because it's not a noticeable problem in daily life. Until it is.

That cardiologist has to realize that has to be one of the worst pitches to get people to pay him to monitor all Sports people for heart problems.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 4/Feb/16 8:04pm

Dougal wrote:
Fraser wrote:Sad to see such an inspirational guy die. Is there any reason why a bloke in his mid 30s dies of a heart attack? Has anyone spent time riding or spending time outside of riding with Kelly? Was there anything odd that contributed to this or any other person in his family have heart problems which led him to sport?

Heart conditions are not unheard of in road cycling where people do too much endurance training too young. Their hearts end up enlarged but with thin walls. Back when I was in high school a guy my age died of just that while out training on a road bike

Indeed, we had an 18 year old female nearly die last year at our facility because of this, we had a fatality a few years prior due to someone doing too much exercise while they had a cold.

But really, I don't give a fuck how Kelly died, I'm way more interested in how he lived. Dude was just a genuine good sort, and while I'd call him an acquaintance rather than a friend I'm still finding it a bit sad that we'll never cross paths again.

We need more McGazzas.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby adikt on Thu 4/Feb/16 9:46pm

Fraser wrote:
That cardiologist has to realize that has to be one of the worst pitches to get people to pay him to monitor all Sports people for heart problems.

Oh yeah, it's very much an infomercial type "article", hence the qualification in my post. I mean, it is on stuffed ...
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Cycling | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts