Re: Keeping Shirts Wrinkle-free While Commuting?

Postby Trail on Wed 7/Nov/12 5:02pm

I used to just transport the shirts on coat hangers, hanging from the handle above the door on the back seat of my car. If using pubic transport this idea is probably null and void, although you might be able to carry one of those suit bags?

oh and I put a deliberate spelling mistake in there, just for your entertainment! :sly:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 7/Nov/12 6:03pm

A rigid box helps a lot.
By far the quickest way to fold shirts (with the arms in line with the body) also gives you fewest creases. But it also gives a diagonal crease reminiscent of sloping shoulders, which is unmanly. Take the time to fold the arms horizontally instead, as in a new shirt box.

When folding the whole lot up at the end, to make the whole thing short enough you usually have to put another fold in the bottom of the arms. That's OK.

Formal styles are much less tolerant of wrinkles so if your job suits it you can end up looking better in a more wrinkly, less formal cotton shirt.
BTW if you need to sleep in your clothes for days at a time the best-looking fabric money can buy is poly cotton IMO :blush:
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby ringo on Wed 7/Nov/12 7:42pm

I do pretty much exactly what Colin says above and it works generally ok. Body heat deals with the worst of it. The main determinant is the shirt fabric. Even at a particular price point and a single shirt maker (e.g. 3 Wise Men) I have some shirts that are sweet to iron and stay wrinkle free, and others that are a bitch to iron and wrinkle up badly within an hour of wearing. Heavy cotton seems to fall into the latter category. I don't know how some people can wear a shirt all day and it still looks pristine and wrinkle free. Must be aliens...
ringo
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 7/Nov/12 11:06pm

ringo wrote:I don't know how some people can wear a shirt all day and it still looks pristine and wrinkle free. Must be aliens...

There is a lot in how you sit and move, and in having the shirt not too tight in the elbows and pits.

I never knew how complicated it is to wear pants until I tried to teach my boy how to keep his jeans from going baggy and wearing out so fast. Hitching pants up before kneeling and sitting is instinctive to me.
What he can do is make a nice dark jersey look like it was stolen from a dog kennel, with the dog putting up a fight for it. :cry:
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Fri 9/Nov/12 8:21pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby wolffman1 on Thu 8/Nov/12 9:54am

I take in a shirt a day and it gets folded just before it gets stuck in the backpack.
much like the others I fold the back of the shirt so the buttons and holes meet, then fold both arms together on top. Socks and Jocks are bundled together into a cylinder and placed at the top, then the shirt is loosely rolled with the collar going over the sock and jock combo and rolled to the bottom. Loosly rolling seems to be the main trick for me.
Wrinkles normally drop out after 30 minutes and I'm a light cotton shirt type guy. The heavy cotton shirts always wrinkle badly whether they are rolled or worn off the hanger. People pass out from pits of death if I wear the polyester no iron shirts.
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 8/Nov/12 8:37pm

Laundry at work, Iron at work, bag with enough clothes so I could stay for a week or more.
The answer is, get a better place to work. :thumbsup:

I think I'd try to find a suitable spot to hang a few shirts up and then take them in one day using an alternate mode of transport. Thereafter it's just a matter of keeping socks & jocks in a bag at your desk. sorted. Just once a week or so swap all the dirties for cleans.
Best part about that is if you work it just right you can get away without any sort of backpack which means you can extend the commute comfortably!
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 8/Nov/12 9:11pm

Turn up the heat and don't wear a shirt. :cool:
Simonius_Titius

Postby Farm on Thu 8/Nov/12 10:15pm

I tend to look a bit disheveled no matter how hard I try, it's part of my charm. I keep a sports coat at work, that way only the front third of the shirt needs to be wrinkle free. Not going to work as well in the summer, I tend to run pretty warm.
Farm
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby properzel on Thu 8/Nov/12 10:49pm

Teleporter does the job fine for me. No wrikles ata ll.
properzel
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Keeping Shirts Wrikle-free While Commuting?

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 8/Nov/12 11:11pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Get your work to buy an iron and ironing board, which they do if they truely support support sustainable transport

this.

I used to take a weeks worth in once a week.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 9/Nov/12 12:11am

If you dont need business shirt (cos it aint business time) i find merino wool shorts pretty difficult to make look scruffy
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby slumdog on Fri 9/Nov/12 2:43pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:Get your work to buy an iron and ironing board, which they do if they truely support support sustainable transport

this.

I used to take a weeks worth in once a week.

Yeah, noticed you won't be riding everyday, so just take a weeks worth in the car on a car day.
slumdog
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Fri 9/Nov/12 2:56pm

slumdog wrote:Yeah, noticed you won't be riding everyday, so just take a weeks worth in the car on the train .

;)
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby bugle on Fri 9/Nov/12 4:04pm

Amateurs, I got a shirt and waistcoat in the backpack for the ride in this morning
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby handy-andy on Fri 9/Nov/12 10:39pm

Fold your shirt like they do in the shop. Get a courier style bag, big enough so you can slide the shirt in, instead of stuffing it - Lezyne make a good one. I have a travel iron and mini ironing board at work, 2 minutes to iron out any creases from folding and your shirt looks tidier than when you have to take the car and get it all creased under the seatbelt.
handy-andy
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Ashburton | Australia | BMX Riding | Canterbury | Climbing | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Dirt Jumping (BMX) | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | Music | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts