Keep An Eye Out For Endangered Southern Right Whales

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Wed 20/May/09 12:56pm

The Department of Conservation (DOC) is calling on the public to keep an eye out and report sightings of southern right whales which are starting to move along the New Zealand coastline.

Recent sightings of whales near Dunedin, and one near Stewart Island, has signalled the start of this year’s whale migration season and the beginning of the Department of Conservation’s southern right whale research programme.

“This is exciting – it’s a rare opportunity for members of the public to see large whales from the coast and to help DOC with crucial research” said Steve Smith, DOC’s national marine mammal coordinator.

DOC’s challenge is to find as many whales as possible and do more research to better understand the relationship between the whales seen around the mainland and those from the New Zealand sub Antarctic region. Whale sightings help DOC researchers retrieve tissue samples and other vital information. DOC needs to collect genetic samples from 30 individual right whales but at present we only have 22.

The purpose of DOC’s research is to learn as much about endangered southern right whales as possible and then take measures to ensure the whales have the right level of protection.

Since May of 2003 an average of 70 southern right whale sightings have been reported each season. “Hopefully with the public’s continued help we will be able to complete our research by the end of the year,” said Mr. Smith.

Any southern right whale sightings should be reported immediately on the Doc hotline, 0800 DOCHOT (0800 36 24 68).
Kisbee SRW 29.7.2007 0060.JPG
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Keep An Eye Out For Endangered Southern Right Whales

Postby johnL on Wed 20/May/09 6:55pm

I looked around Rotorua on the way home, other than the manatees at maccas I saw no southern right whales. I will keep an eye out though
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby OliverBendix on Wed 20/May/09 8:07pm

None in Lower Hutt either!

I suppose I might see one if it comes into the harbour and I ride round to Eastbourne. I might go around there tomorrow lunchtime.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 20/May/09 9:45pm

I think I just saw one going past the window.......opppps no, my bad. It was a sneezing pig flying by.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 20/May/09 9:55pm

How can I tell the difference between endangered Southern Right Whales and the numerous more-common whales that I see on an hourly basis?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 20/May/09 9:58pm

What is their typical migratory route?
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby johnL on Thu 21/May/09 7:02am

a lot of information can be found in the japanese book of scientfic BBQ meats
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby thorg on Thu 21/May/09 8:02am

j2hyde wrote:What is their typical migratory route?
State Highway 1, using the matamata bypass to avoid Hamilton.

(up the East Coast I believe. . . . )
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Thu 21/May/09 9:05am

johnL wrote:I looked around Rotorua on the way home, other than the manatees at maccas I saw no southern right whales. I will keep an eye out though

:lol:
sifter
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Tama on Thu 21/May/09 9:08am

happybaboon wrote:How can I tell the difference between endangered Southern Right Whales and the numerous more-common whales that I see on an hourly basis?

They taste better :)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby xcwander on Thu 21/May/09 9:29am

happybaboon wrote:How can I tell the difference between endangered Southern Right Whales and the numerous more-common whales that I see on an hourly basis?

Southern Right Whales wont slap you in the face and call you a pig for stating the obvious :o
xcwander
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Thu 21/May/09 1:26pm

Tama wrote:

But seriously though, we were having this pig cruelty debate at work the other day, and came up with the idea that instead of killing 100,000's of animals each year to eat, we could have a few hundred whales in a whale farm instead to provide the same meat. They only have the brain size of a pea anyway so don't suffer much (compared to a pig), so overall with much fewer animals much less suffering :thumbsup:

Plus they're religion agnostic (not taboo to eat in any religion I know of) :thumbsup:

Can I claim vorb idea of the week now :ib:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 21/May/09 1:44pm

thorg wrote:
j2hyde wrote:What is their typical migratory route?
State Highway 1, using the matamata bypass to avoid Hamilton.

(up the East Coast I believe. . . . )

that explains why I haven't seen any :blink:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 21/May/09 1:54pm

mfw wrote:
Tama wrote:

But seriously though, we were having this pig cruelty debate at work the other day, and came up with the idea that instead of killing 100,000's of animals each year to eat, we could have a few hundred whales in a whale farm instead to provide the same meat. They only have the brain size of a pea anyway so don't suffer much (compared to a pig), so overall with much fewer animals much less suffering :thumbsup:

Plus they're religion agnostic (not taboo to eat in any religion I know of) :thumbsup:

Can I claim vorb idea of the week now :ib:

Allegedly whales taste awful.

Pigs taste far too amazing for me to stop eating them.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 21/May/09 2:01pm

happybaboon wrote:Allegedly whales taste awful.

Pigs taste far too amazing for me to stop eating them.

Clearly then we need to get the boffins down at the lab working on some sort of genetically modified pig-whale hybrid. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Environment | Kayaking | News | Paddling | Sea Kayaking | Sifting | Surf - Latest Posts