Calendar Event: March 22, 2009

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 24/Mar/09 8:59am

they were just wet I think, I was a bit more careful after that and they got me all the way down. I t was definitely me, not the brakes, that was defective!
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby Sassonian on Tue 24/Mar/09 1:54pm

Howdy all

Thanks to everyone for supporting the event.

My day started early - met up with Greg Cundy - one of the principle organisers of the event at the Paraparumu Railway station at 5:45am and 2 of us headed south to drive the course putting out signs, banners and marking the roads in places, while Greg headed north doing the same. The weather was way better than it was when I went to bed but still not the greatest - so we were hoping for improvement.

My plan was that I would ride the event if I got back in time. It was a close run thing thanks to the fact that the guy that was helping me dress the course got carsick and we had to stop a few times for him to be sick!! The Akatarawa road is not the greatest for carsickness.

This meant that I arrived back in time to quickly put my front wheel on my bike pin on my number and I made it to the back of the starters just as the gun was about to go off.

I managed to make my way foward in the back streets of Waikanae and by the time we made it to Paraparaumu I'd hooked up with the 2nd bunch on the road. Got a nice ride with them down to Paekak and then watched them disappear into the distance up the hill. Was fantastic to be on closed roads up the hill and the amount of people out in the rain giving support was neat. The only down side was that the chalk messages that I'd written on the road a couple of hours earlier (just to add to encourage people and add to the feel of the event) had washed away in the rain. Never mind - something to do for next year.

Managed to hook back into a good group down the backside of Paekak - and stayed with them all the way to the cemetary on the Akatarawa road. Have to admit to passing nobody up the Akas - but ground it out to the top. Was very tentative on the way down - being heavy and tall is not a great combination on twisty, greasy, downhill rides. Once past Reikeiorangi was able to push hard and managed to stop the clock in 3:28. Pretty happy with that with the prep that I had.

Managed to do a bit of research on the way round (chatted to people) and most seemed pretty happy with the day and how it all came together.

I'm involved in a debrief on Thursday night with myself and the 3 principle organisers - so if anyone has any feedback let me know and I'll bring it up. We really want to improve the event year on year - and your comments will help us with that. You can leave comments here or email me directly on bam@paradise.net.nz

Cheers everyone for supporting the event - looks like it's here to stay!!

Adrian.
PS And cheers to the RoadCycling.co.nz people for my new avatar - slightly less scary than the previous one. (Looks like I'm climbing fast too :))
PPS Just got sent a link from an amateur photographer that took a few snaps up the hill as well. http://www.flickr.com/photos/brendonhar ... 766741596/
PPS The official race photos are now online at www.nesport.co.nz
Sassonian
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby nzmatto on Tue 24/Mar/09 5:32pm

My only comment was the start was a bit tighter than I was expecting. We turned from one closed road into another that had cars parked down both sides effectively halving the amount of space. this caused a bit of bashing and bumping down the back. I didn't see any spills, but I think if the event was to grow by another couple of hundred or so that this could be a distinct possibility.
Would their be any chance of having the start on Elizabeth St, or perhaps going the other way from the road we were on out to Elizabeth St without having any narrowing?

I was going to email this, but thought i'd go the public way to see if anyone else thought the same way, or if I was just being wimpy. :)

By the way, I don't think I had ever said....."Thanks" thanks for the great event!

I sure hope to be back next year, and it should be on my home turf by then!!!!
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby tylersdad on Tue 24/Mar/09 8:30pm

Hi Sassonian,
i didn't end up doing the race - the weather was the factor for me.

the only thing i can contribute to feedback is advertising.

unfortunately, the only place i saw it advertised was on here. i am not a member of any road cycling club.

perhaps some thought could be put towards how to get the word out to weekend warriors that don't come on vorb, or visit thier bike shops regularly, or indeed visit other cycling oriented websites.

i do note the expense of radio/TV so perhaps you could investigate the viability of ;
posters for the various spots where music event posters are placed? or
employ a marketing company that does mass faxes to business's? or
billboards along popular cycling routes?
my second last idea is to
provide smaller posters that can be colour printed by vorbii etc and placed in their car windows (this is about the cheapest option).
my last idea is to
get a major corporate sponsor(s) (say a greeny power company & a phone company) and include details of the ride in their invoicing for the 4 months prior to the event.

anyway, congratulations on what i hear was a well run event, and i should be riding next year.

Sean
tylersdad
User avatar
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby RJM on Wed 25/Mar/09 6:07am

nzmatto wrote:My only comment was the start was a bit tighter than I was expecting. We turned from one closed road into another that had cars parked down both sides effectively halving the amount of space. this caused a bit of bashing and bumping down the back. I didn't see any spills, but I think if the event was to grow by another couple of hundred or so that this could be a distinct possibility.
Would their be any chance of having the start on Elizabeth St, or perhaps going the other way from the road we were on out to Elizabeth St without having any narrowing?

I was going to email this, but thought i'd go the public way to see if anyone else thought the same way, or if I was just being wimpy. :)

By the way, I don't think I had ever said....."Thanks" thanks for the great event!

I sure hope to be back next year, and it should be on my home turf by then!!!!


I've been thinking about the route on this one and one idea I had was to actually start it outside the New World in Silverstream, head up the Blue Mountains down to Mangaroa then up the Akas etc etc - then have the race end at, say Totara Park. Just a thought :) Well done by the way, hell of a ride
RJM
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby tylersdad on Wed 25/Mar/09 2:17pm

4 hills - gulp.
maybe blue mountains is a bit soon after the start. no warm up.
how about CIT as a start, round the back road past the army camp, up wally hill, then mangaroa aka's etc.
tylersdad
User avatar
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby JohnDH on Wed 25/Mar/09 4:22pm

Good ideas here, but leave the KCC course I say. The "Valley Express" (or whatever) could be run separately around the Wallaceville/Mangaroa/Whitemans area, perhaps early in the season as a Wellington region stepper to Taupo (alongside Martinbourough), maybe with one- and two-lap options.

Sassonian, congrats to all on getting a successful inaugural event under the belt.

The course is great, the authorities are sweet, I assume, so now it's a matter of achieving ideal event numbers and making sure that everyone feels that the event is well-organised. What are the ideal numbers? 600+? 1000? 3000+? To grow you'll need publicity to work alongside positive word of mouth. There was info on the event website, the internet, and on cycling sites, so the event's search engine profile is only going to grow. I didn't hear the Mediaworks stable of radio stations cover the event (love my vinyl too much), but there wasn't much in the papers that I saw. One suggestion here would be to bump up media relationships with national/regional/local papers (Hutt News, Kapiti Mail, Dominion Post sports, Sunday Star Times etc etc) and get some editorial coverage (articles, interviews with organisers) from, say, 8--12 weeks out with two outcomes targeted: first, give potential entrants (inexperienced/new cyclists) time to train towards successful completion, and second, raise public awareness of cycling in general (to keep the wider community buy-in). Then have another media release blitz targeting coverage over the week before the event, again looking at editorial focus. And then make the news in the next edition ...

Also, was there a charity sponsorship relationship in place, raising funds for ... (as well as supporting a cycling club)? Might be worth considering. Apart from the good, the love and the support that flows to the charity, the charity network could help raise the event's profile. Synergy blah blah.
Heoi ano!
JohnDH
User avatar
"Undulating"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby Oli on Wed 25/Mar/09 6:30pm

I'm not sure if how much I'm regretting not doing this event has any bearing but, like the Hospi Ride, I'm super keen to do them next year. I'm not the only one either, so if the riders who took part enjoyed it and there are punters out there wanting to do it next time, you have the beginnings of some healthy numbers! :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby nzmatto on Wed 25/Mar/09 6:35pm

Oli wrote:I'm not sure if how much I'm regretting not doing this event has any bearing but, like the Hospi Ride, I'm super keen to do them next year. I'm not the only one either, so if the riders who took part enjoyed it and there are punters out there wanting to do it next time, you have the beginnings of some healthy numbers! :thumbsup:


Oli, even though you weren't there, your shirts were. Clearly they know a good thing when its happening!!!! I saw a few of them out there. Maybe one day i'll consider myself qualified enough (and thin enough) to join them.
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby Oli on Wed 25/Mar/09 6:43pm

Haha! Thinness has NO bearing on eligibility, I assure you! :blush:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby ThingOne on Wed 25/Mar/09 7:46pm

Ill be doing this race next year for sure.. ! Its great to have good quality tough events in Wellington.
ThingOne
User avatar
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby JohnDH on Wed 25/Mar/09 8:39pm

Oli wrote:I'm not sure if how much I'm regretting not doing this event has any bearing but, like the Hospi Ride, I'm super keen to do them next year. I'm not the only one either, so if the riders who took part enjoyed it and there are punters out there wanting to do it next time, you have the beginnings of some healthy numbers! :thumbsup:

+1
JohnDH
User avatar
"Undulating"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby Muzza on Wed 25/Mar/09 9:29pm

I to am planning to ride this event next year. Having a busy family the early I know about events the early I can book them into the family calendar, giving me a chance of riding them. So get the date on event calendars as early as you can, details can follow, so people like me can plan for them before the kids birthday invitation start arriving.

Suggestion. There are allot of warm up events leading up to Taupo, but few events after. Getting your event and date advertised/promoted round that time may reach allot more casual rides. With allot of Taupo riders only riding Taupo and maybe a warm-up event or two, you will reach these rides as they are looking for events to ride. Being just after summer, you give these rides a challenge to work towards over summer that has been missing in Wellington.

The same goes to the Hospi Ride.
Muzza
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Re: Kapiti Cycle Challenge

Postby RJM on Mon 30/Mar/09 7:31am

Muzza wrote:I to am planning to ride this event next year. Having a busy family the early I know about events the early I can book them into the family calendar, giving me a chance of riding them. So get the date on event calendars as early as you can, details can follow, so people like me can plan for them before the kids birthday invitation start arriving.

Suggestion. There are allot of warm up events leading up to Taupo, but few events after. Getting your event and date advertised/promoted round that time may reach allot more casual rides. With allot of Taupo riders only riding Taupo and maybe a warm-up event or two, you will reach these rides as they are looking for events to ride. Being just after summer, you give these rides a challenge to work towards over summer that has been missing in Wellington.

The same goes to the Hospi Ride.


Are you after some training ride suggestions ? :)
RJM
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Cycling | Kapiti Coast | Lower North Island | New Zealand | News | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Wellington Region - Latest Posts

Who is online

96 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 94 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle

cron