Kaniwhaniwha Stream Ride

Postby seaston4 on Sat 17/Jan/09 10:58am

WOW!! What an awesome turnout!

I think there were 25 riders in total :0

We went for a ride up the stream trail/4wd track, and on the way back, some of us went for a ride along the Nikau track. I think walking our bike over that skiny wire bridge was the worst and the best part at the same time.

After coming back to the carpark we went for a ride along the limeworks loop road.

And I can't forget to mention the picnic beside the stream afterwards. Thanks to all of those people who offered food and nibbles.

Can't wait for the next club meet!
seaston4
"When are we going to Rotorua next?"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Kaniwhaniwha Stream Ride

Postby Mel on Sat 17/Jan/09 1:27pm

Sounds great. I wish I could have made it -I'm jealous! :alien: If I get a chance, I'd like to head out there sometime. Is the track beside the stream easy to find? And is it officially open to bikes?
Mel
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby seaston4 on Sat 17/Jan/09 8:53pm

If you park in the car park, you have to cross the road and climb the fence to get to the track.

and to be honest, I'm not sure if the Nikau track is open to bikes or not.
seaston4
"When are we going to Rotorua next?"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby KieranC on Thu 29/Jan/09 12:39pm

It's ride able and there weren't any no bike signs visible so its all good.

That is some nice single track in there, it will be a shame if the gravel it like the first 300m. But it will open it up for riders who don't like the challenge of a root infested native bush trail too. It shouldn't be too long till the new bridge is complete either :thumbsup:
KieranC
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Mel on Thu 29/Jan/09 2:08pm

What's the length of the stream trail/4WD track? And the length of the Nikau track?

Just wondering if I can ride these at night without it taking me too long. :blush:
Mel
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby KieranC on Fri 6/Feb/09 10:32am

It's not very long, maybe 2km of 4x4 track by the river each way, then about a 1km single track loop. This is only an estimate!

Take some friends and cruise around it at a social pace. When you finish forget how slowly you rode and how short the distance was and remember that you had fun biking with your friends through nice native single track and riding up/down stairs :thumbsup:
KieranC
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby scampr on Thu 2/Jul/09 5:25pm

Thanks for posting this ride on here. We went out a few weeks back and had a nice quick ride. From the carpark it is 2.1km of 4WD track to the start of Nikau. Didn't realise how much of a steady climb it was till turned around and blasted back down. Only did a little of the Nikau as the roots were a bit much for me (for now!). So only a did total of 7km but the weather was turning nasty so it actually worked out well.

Looking forward to heading out there again sometime. I think it'd be a good ride to take kids/family to as anyone could handle the 4wd track and enjoy a breather at the picnic area at the top while the more adventurous do the nikau track.
scampr
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Clubs | WAMO MTB Club - Latest Posts