Should we build a road through the Kahurangi National Park.

Hell Yes. New roads are always the solution.
11%
Hell No. Will somebody please think of the birds.
89%
I don't know
No votes

Total voters : 9

Re: Kahurangi National Park Road

Postby znomit on Thu 17/Dec/15 10:56am

Rik wrote:
matnz wrote:The real answer lies in driver-less cars - did you not hear by 2020 we will all be riding in them and no one will own a car ever again.

There was a piece on fifth gear last night about Volvo's safety lab. They are confidently predicting that by 2020 NO-ONE will die in one of their car from an accident precisely because their intention is to remove the fcukwit behind the wheel from the equation.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can phone my car up and tell it to come get me after a long ride. :thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Rik on Thu 17/Dec/15 11:06am

znomit wrote:
Rik wrote:
matnz wrote:The real answer lies in driver-less cars - did you not hear by 2020 we will all be riding in them and no one will own a car ever again.

There was a piece on fifth gear last night about Volvo's safety lab. They are confidently predicting that by 2020 NO-ONE will die in one of their car from an accident precisely because their intention is to remove the fcukwit behind the wheel from the equation.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can phone my car up and tell it to come get me after a long ride. :thumbsup:

My car is going to drop me off at the start of the Old Ghost road AND pick me up at the other end, then take me home whilst I lay on the back seat drinking
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby Wobbler on Thu 17/Dec/15 11:23am

Rik wrote:

I hear we are getting flying cars in the year 2000
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 17/Dec/15 11:45am

It's 2015 and we got hoverboards..... Shame they don't look/work quite like Marty McFly's one.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby philstar on Thu 17/Dec/15 3:27pm

Fraser wrote:I would love it if they built more roads in NZ. Huge dual carriage roads scything their way through the countryside. Make it a Toll road with a 120 or 130kph speed limit and 100kph for over 3.5t trucks.
Just like the Americans think that gun deaths are unchangeable. Kiwi's accept the Road deaths in a similar fashion.
What is the road toll at the moment a couple of hundred a year? What are the solutions? Tourists needing a day off before they can drive? If only everyone stuck to the speed limit? Police being stricter on Kiwi battlers?
The basic problem is that NZ road are horribly designed and outdated.

nz roads also have ridiculously high speed limits for how shitty they are. I was in the US cycle touring and we rode over 940km on road with speed limits under 45mph (there was a couple of bits that were 60mph but 90% under) and a lot of it below 25mph. there shitty roads (and some of them look like they had no maintenance since they were built/paved in the depression) have lower speed limits but they have the interstates for the arterial routs.

we need to stop pretending all roads are capable of 100kph (they weren't built for that), drop the open road to 80 raise motorways to 120 and good roads that are to 100. I would also be in favor of roads above a certain incline to have higher speed limits up than down, but i digress.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby ryda on Thu 17/Dec/15 3:51pm

philstar wrote:we need to stop pretending all roads are capable of 100kph (they weren't built for that), drop the open road to 80 raise motorways to 120 and good roads that are to 100. I would also be in favor of roads above a certain incline to have higher speed limits up than down, but i digress.
20 yrs ago we used to cruise at 110-120kmh and avearge 90-95 on a long trip, we didn't crash every time we got in a car, the roads haven't got any worse, in fact they have got straighter and I'm pretty sure our cars have got better...but we can't do that any more. The problem is not the roads but the standard of driving on the roads. yes the total volume of cars has increased and you adjust your driving to suit and high volume is only during limited periods
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 17/Dec/15 4:05pm

I blame the arrival of weber bbqs for the lowering of driving standards
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Check Your Stats.

Postby znomit on Thu 17/Dec/15 5:07pm

I don't know what all the whinging is about.
The road toll for the last 12 months is half what is was a year ago for cyclists, and in general the chance of being killed on the roads has dropped by half since 2000 for all road users.
http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_sta ... lties.aspx

We are middle of the road in terms of fatalities in relation to other countries.
znomit

Postby Philthy on Fri 18/Dec/15 8:13am

What some of the road proponents are overlooking is the fact that the new road through the area won't encourage more people to stay in places like karamea. What it will encourage is tourists driving through the area even quicker because they can, rather than making those parts of the coast a destination. Ie it will result in more people making the roads busy and therefore detracting from the appeal of the coast but probably fewer people actually staying in the place and paying for accommodation etc.
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby mudguard on Fri 18/Dec/15 9:21am

I drive from Christchurch to Nelson via Greymouth once a month for work. I can't see the appeal. Sure it's a more direct route to Karamea, but why? I'm not sure how many tourists would want to go that little bit extra North.
I do enjoy the drive up past Punakaiki much more than the inland route, but not so much so to put another road through a national park.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 22/Dec/15 1:06pm

Plus, it doesnt even go to Karamea. the fucking tourists will just drive through it, marvel at the views, then turn left and head down the coast, ignoring poor neglected Karamea. Surely they get a bunch of new income over winter now with people biking the heaphy. what the fuck more do they want?!?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby piwakawaka on Tue 29/Dec/15 8:02pm

Just been in Karamea for the last 5 days, pop 567, and falling, apparently the Hikers and Bikers bail after they get out of the tracks and don't stay, we headed through from Nelson lakes and back tracked 320km to Nelson to head over to Golden Bay, a road back from Karamea to Golden Bay would have been great, I think lots of people would see a Grand Loop like this as a great mini tour of the top of the south, by bike or car. The hill climb both sides is brilliant riding, didn't get up the Deniston road on my bike but it was a great drive and picnic at the top.
piwakawaka
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 7/Jan/16 12:54pm

Rik wrote:
znomit wrote:
Rik wrote:

My car is going to drop me off at the start of the Old Ghost road AND pick me up at the other end, then take me home whilst I lay on the back seat drinking

Outrageous statement that you need flogging for - LAY on the back seat! everyone knows that if your not sat upright and strapped in you will die a horrible death.
as for drinking in the car... :-)
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts