Justice System Up For A Revamp

Postby dented on Sun 17/May/09 7:21pm

Just caught the end of this news item, sounds like there are changes to the fundamental right to fair trial afoot. If I understand correctly, currently any crime that goes before the court which a guilty conviction would attract a prison term exceeding 3 months, entitles the defendant to a jury trial. But the changes mean we only see a jury trial for cases where the penalty is prison for 3 years or more.

So, for all the other cases, there will just be a judge to hear the evidence, decide on your guilt, then sentance you. What if the judge doesnt like your tattoos?

Then more stuff about stopping the lawyers from milking the system by having multiple deferrences, and thereby getting paid a lot more, often on taxpayer funded legal aid.

There was more I think, so whats the haps?
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Justice System Up For A Revamp

Postby phunk on Sun 17/May/09 7:24pm

That was about it really I think, seemed like some sensible practicle solutions to the issues. Plus Simon Power is at least one of the more on to it National party members..
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Spokes on Sun 17/May/09 7:26pm

If it ends me having to constantly get out of jury service Im all for it.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby phunk on Sun 17/May/09 7:27pm

If I ever ended up in front of the courts for whatever reason I would actually rather have the evidence decided on by someone relatively intelligent, so happy to not be heard by a jury.
phunk

Postby dented on Sun 17/May/09 7:27pm

Sounded like the reason was to stop clogging up the courts, which I can understand. But it will only speed things up by the amount of time it takes to select a jury surely?
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby phunk on Sun 17/May/09 7:30pm

Probably.
phunk

Postby znomit on Sun 17/May/09 7:30pm

Only if you're innocent.

phunk wrote:If I ever ended up in front of the courts for whatever reason I would actually rather have the evidence decided on by someone relatively intelligent, so happy to not be heard by a jury.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Nick_K on Sun 17/May/09 7:33pm

Sounds like a reasonable idea for minor cases. I have to confess I have weaseled my way out of my last 3 jury services. Id hate to see the caliber of people on your average jury service.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Spokes on Sun 17/May/09 7:35pm

I did read somewhere that the case where the guy left the kiddy in Aussie, killed his wife etc wants to be able to get private detectives to look into to the history of the jury members.

I thought that was not on.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby thorg on Sun 17/May/09 7:36pm

dented wrote:Sounded like the reason was to stop clogging up the courts, which I can understand. But it will only speed things up by the amount of time it takes to select a jury surely?
I reckon things in court would go a whole heap quicker. Every time I've been a juror the Judge is forver stopping proceeding to explain the fine points of the law and what it was were were supposed to be considering.

Still a fair trial, unless judges are unfair, but then again, are judges more or less unfair than jurors?

(and thanks Nick - I've dont jury service 3 times now :hmmm: )
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Nick_K on Sun 17/May/09 7:39pm

thorg wrote:
(and thanks Nick - I've dont jury service 3 times now :hmmm: )

:paranoid: Your a better man than me Thorg.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 17/May/09 7:40pm

dented wrote:What if the judge doesnt like your tattoos?

What if the jury doesn't like your tattoos?

I'm same as for phunk - I think I'd prefer to have most of the cases against me decided by a judge.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Sun 17/May/09 7:45pm

phunk wrote:If I ever ended up in front of the courts for whatever reason I would actually rather have the evidence decided on by someone relatively intelligent, so happy to not be heard by a jury.

znomit wrote:Only if you're innocent.

Naturally, if I were gulity then there would be no need for a trial.
phunk

Postby nostromo on Sun 17/May/09 8:18pm

Nick_K wrote:Sounds like a reasonable idea for minor cases. I have to confess I have weaseled my way out of my last 3 jury services. Id hate to see the caliber of people on your average jury service.

Somewhat true, a friend of mine worked for the law commission who were looking into this as it is one of the main problems with the Jury service now. The people on Juries are generally students, retired people, unemployed or low skilled. Everyone else just says their too busy.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Sun 17/May/09 9:16pm

So you all should man up and do your civic duty then. As a wise man recently said to me, if I had to go to court I'd be hoping for a decent jury - everyone who avoids jury service is DIRECTLY responsible for reducing the pool of jury "talent".

Also, it's pretty freaking arrogant to sit out jury service and assume that the people who are doing it are somehow inferior to you - get a grip! I've seen juries and I've sat on one, and found them all a reasonable cross-section of society.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts