Is It Just Me Or...

Postby charliehopkins on Sat 3/Aug/13 3:54pm

is it just me or are the tracks going the same way as the education system, more and more tracks are being dumbed down. I assume it is to increase the accessibility to a larger quantity of people but what is that leaving us that want a more challenging ride? More and more tracks are becoming smooth enough to wonder why people are still hauling long travel bikes around. I thought I'd get out for a nice loop up the Belmont trig today and the run back down to baked beans bend is nothing like it was a year or two ago. Hopefully Rata Ridge isn't next.
charliehopkins
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Is It Just Me Or...

Postby happybaboon on Sat 3/Aug/13 4:13pm

Have you gone and helped build any of the tracks :satan: ?

More and more people are riding, so more and more damage on trails, so they need to be built more durable, which means flatter/firmer/less ruts. There are still challenging trails out there I am sure.

Another possibility is that you have gained skillz?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 3/Aug/13 5:45pm

In my hometown haunt (Rotorua), alot of the early trails (mid 90's) could be ridden fast by all skills, but then the guy doing all the design (I helped in some early trails) got pushed aside and a new group took over, and they seemed to only made trails for themselves, making them highly technical - alot of people got hurt, at least 1 person died. I for 1 am glad to see thats starting to change, better signposting, more tracks being widened and made more flowing, hell I even took the cyclocross bike in them a couple of weeks ago!
foremannz
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby WayneG on Sat 3/Aug/13 9:43pm

charliehopkins wrote:is it just me or are the tracks going the same way as the education system, more and more tracks are being dumbed down. I assume it is to increase the accessibility to a larger quantity of people but what is that leaving us that want a more challenging ride? More and more tracks are becoming smooth enough to wonder why people are still hauling long travel bikes around. I thought I'd get out for a nice loop up the Belmont trig today and the run back down to baked beans bend is nothing like it was a year or two ago. Hopefully Rata Ridge isn't next.

Yes the wrap people in bubble wrap group are now making trails, as fun=smooth wide trails now.Some times it's nice to have a smooth fast trail to bomb down, but like you I like trails that make me think. I ride a 6km loop 4 or 5 times here as it is a riders track and enjoy each lap of it, most other people around here go to another area and can ride 30km with out riding the same trail twice but I get so board after about 5km's as it is too smooth and very few thinking parts in the whole 30km loop. I understand having easy trails for beginners by the car park but they seem to be getting more and more easy tracks through the whole forest.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 3/Aug/13 10:56pm

I love this...

Is it just me or are there more and more people whining about trails getting dumbed down? I almost think that if the percentage of whiney riders is the same as 5 years ago but there's more of them maybe that means there are more riders in general than 5 years ago. This could mean that the so-called dumbed down trails are doing their job... Getting more bums on bikes.

If the trails near your house are too easy on your DH sled then give them a crack on a Raleigh 20 or a kids 16" bmx. That'll keep you honest.

And if your still not satisfied, look into how you can get into building or helping building a track you DO like. We're pretty spoiled for choice here in Wellington....
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Sat 3/Aug/13 11:05pm

charliehopkins wrote:is it just me or are the tracks going the same way as the education system, more and more tracks are being dumbed down.

Nah the tracks are fine, you're probably on a 29er, science says they roll over obstacles better and offer a smoother ride. ;)
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Sun 4/Aug/13 3:10pm

Ah... yup.

Spoke Magazine wrote:“Hey mate! Check out my new fancy bike; decided to try out those bigger wheels that have lots of suspension. It pretty much removes all of the off-camber, roots and rocks. It’s like it’s all gone and I’m so much faster. It pedals so well up the climbs and then on downhills it makes everything so smooth! You should get those bigger wheels with lots of suspension. I’m unstoppable!”

Big-Wheels-Keep.jpg

“Hey mate! Have you checked out what they have done to the local track? They removed the lot; off-camber, roots and rocks, it’s like it’s all gone. It’s so much faster, but way easier! What’s the point? The climb is so easy to pedal up and the downhill is so smooth! You should get those smaller wheels with no travel. The boredom is unstoppable!”

http://spokemagazine.com/2013/08/01/big ... er-tracks/
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Cruzzer on Sun 4/Aug/13 3:52pm

charliehopkins wrote:is it just me or are the tracks going the same way as the education system, more and more tracks are being dumbed down. I assume it is to increase the accessibility to a larger quantity of people but what is that leaving us that want a more challenging ride? More and more tracks are becoming smooth enough to wonder why people are still hauling long travel bikes around. I thought I'd get out for a nice loop up the Belmont trig today and the run back down to baked beans bend is nothing like it was a year or two ago. Hopefully Rata Ridge isn't next.

So is the new section all finished now? it wasn't a month or two ago when I went thru.
I'd guess that the section that has been replaced was probably too hard to maintain to a standard that even 20% of riders could ride, let alone accessible to a higher proportion. For me it deteriorated to much to be enjoyable.
I've no problem with the new track - great for anyone to use. But I hope that the old track remains available for those that are up for it.
Also, you need to remember that this route is multi purpose, not just a track for advanced riders.
Cruzzer
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Colin on Sun 4/Aug/13 4:15pm

[quote="charliehopkins" I thought I'd get out for a nice loop up the Belmont trig today and the run back down to baked beans bend is nothing like it was a year or two ago. [/quote]
Baked Beans Bend has been thrashed out several times in the Internet since this work started LAST YEAR

One of those discussions is in the comments here http://spokemagazine.com/2012/11/27/rip ... eans-bend/ It's worth reading.

If yesterday was the first time you became aware of these changes, then I have no problem with this work making a trail accessible to many rather than kept exclusively for a minority who might want to ride it every couple of years.

I too miss the challenge of that one corner and some of the bits along the stream. But I didn't bother going there often enough to get all bent outa shape about it.
Colin
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby charliehopkins on Sun 4/Aug/13 8:49pm

Colin I am well aware that beans bend has been gone for a year I was referring to the entire trig track, but also tracks in general.. I don't know if anyone is keeping an eye on the Rotorua scene maybe fivemannz has but that new challenge loop, what's the point... you could roller skate down that
charliehopkins
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Sun 4/Aug/13 8:56pm

There is an ongoing debate on the Port Hills tracks in Chch too. The tracks were originally smoother and wider, over time they wear into narrow U-shaped ruts with difficult rocks etc. Then the council come along and fill in the u-shaped channel with hardpack which smooths the track out and makes it easier again, returning the track to its original condition. There is much gnashing of teeth and crys of "dumbing down" which subsides after a while... then 3 or 4 years later when all the hardpack has worn away the the track is once again a rutted rocky mess the council come along and fill the track up again... queue all the wailing again.

Funniest thing I heard this weekend was talking to a bike shop employee in town while a friend was test riding a bike. He was saying what a shame it would be when the company came and put the gondola in McVicars forest in Chch as it would destroy all the current tracks that have been built there in the last few years (illegally - on private land without permission). I did point out that there would suddenly be a bunch of proper trails built and maintained year around that they would be allowed to ride on and that many people including myself would love to have a mountain bike park in the town. For someone who works in the bike industry I did think he was being rather short sighted!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby NickCW on Mon 5/Aug/13 12:03pm

charliehopkins wrote:Colin I am well aware that beans bend has been gone for a year I was referring to the entire trig track, but also tracks in general.. I don't know if anyone is keeping an eye on the Rotorua scene maybe fivemannz has but that new challenge loop, what's the point... you could roller skate down that

I thought the new challenge trail was pretty well thought out, it's in the core trail area easily accessible to both carparks and provides somewhere that's a bit of a step up for people learning how to hit tables and ride berms etc. sort of like a scaled down first half of corridor. Where it's placed means it's got to cater for high traffic, building smooth and flowy reduces braking which in turn helps with ongoing maintenance. People also generally have fun.

It's one trail out of many, there are plenty of other places in vegas with roots/drops etc
NickCW
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby RussS on Mon 5/Aug/13 4:34pm

:baaa:
RussS
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby michael on Mon 5/Aug/13 4:40pm

happybaboon wrote:Have you gone and helped build any of the tracks :satan: ?

Not to try and stir things up, but if someone doesn't like the way tracks are built these days, probably they last thing they want to do is go and help build more of them like that?
michael
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 5/Aug/13 5:24pm

If one does not build tracks, one should not complain.

I havent been in Welly for near on two years now, but I have no doubt that there's shitloads of folks merrily building the sort of tracks that he'd like. From rolling single-and-a-half tracks for high volume weekend warriors, to those apeshit WTF trails that are just ruts carved into the sides of cliffs that are allowed to turn into waterfalls. I would be astonished if those aren't alllllll still being built (by groups of people who rarely/never complain about the tracks)

And equally astonished if they aren't also all still being complained about by people who are all "waaaaaaaaaaaa that track is too hard and my bottom hurts now" and "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that intermediate track was way too easy to ride on my dh bike with 5 inch motocross tyres"
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts