I've Just Built Up My New Bmx

Postby Tama on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:16pm

A Kink Curb to be precise, the price was right and it looked cool - which are pretty much my main concerns when purchasing a BMX.

After 7 weeks of no riding I've hatched a cunning plan; Basically I'm heaps better from my leg surgery but still can't pedal or sit on a saddle much as there's still a bit of a hole and quite a lot of scar tissue on the back of my leg which limits movement.

So I got a BMX cos:
a) The closest place to ride is a small skate park/ pump track.
b) The Nelson region is blessed with BMX tracks, skate parks and pump tracks.
c) You don't sit down or pedal much on skate parks and pump tracks.
d) I'd quite like to get good at riding pump tracks.
e) I want to make a fool of myself in front of teenagers who're ten times more skilled than me.

I took it for a cruise down to the end of the road and back and man was it good to be back on a bike. My last ride was on the 22nd of July :exclaim: which is a very long time to go without bikes.

If I could pedal properly I'd go and ride it around the village until bedtime :)
kink1.jpg
kink2.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: I've Just Built Up My New Bmx

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:19pm

thats pretty cool :thumbsup: are you a tall bugger? not that it actually ever matters on bmx. do you have much/any experience? its a lot of fun and pretty easy to pick up with prior mtb skills. enjoy :)
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:24pm

dicks-naughty-account wrote:thats pretty cool :thumbsup: are you a tall bugger? not that it actually ever matters on bmx. do you have much/any experience? its a lot of fun and pretty easy to pick up with prior mtb skills. enjoy :)

I'm 5'10" which is boringly average. I used to own a 24" cruiser and ride that heaps but only ever managed to perfect falling onto concrete at skate parks. It's a pretty awesome trick though - much better than a tyre tap. My main aim is to get good on pump tracks, falling off and breaking something before summer would suck hugely.
Tama

Postby rip_banshee on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:28pm

Cool Bro, see you out at the http://www.firepit.co.nz some time soon, message me when you are thinking about dropping out. We are doing some work on the PT tomorow with diggers :) hopefully it will be rideable by the weekend it will needs some packing out with riders

Cheers D
rip_banshee
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby SamKnight on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:30pm

nice bike Tama, I wish i spent more time riding over in Nelson when i lived down there.
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Spokes on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:43pm

Nice bike.

But move those bars back.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby Mattus on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:47pm

Tama got a kids bike :o, and yes i agree with spokes move them bars back.
Mattus
"Get Involved!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Wed 16/Sep/09 7:58pm

yeah. i like vertical-perpindicular to stem face-ish. and you're the same height as me.
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Mattus on Wed 16/Sep/09 9:04pm

Inline with they forks works for me and most other people.
Mattus
"Get Involved!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Wed 16/Sep/09 10:38pm

That looks pretty rad :thumbsup:
Been thinking about getting me a BMX recently, the local track is within sight from my office and I reckon it'd be a cool way to spend some lunchtimes away from the desk.

Is there anything specific to look for in terms of sizing etc for someone who is 6'2" ish, or is it really just in the setup? Are bog standard frames available in different TT lengths - or you just get what you're given?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 16/Sep/09 10:46pm

Conners wrote:Tthe local track is within sight from my office and I reckon it'd be a cool way

The track won't be there for much longer
plans were to have relocated to cambridge road (in the valley behind where the fernland spa's are)

I'd be looking at cruiser class for someone your height, definitely try out a couple before you buy too

Nice bike Tama
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Tama on Thu 17/Sep/09 6:24am

Conners wrote:That looks pretty rad :thumbsup:
Been thinking about getting me a BMX recently, the local track is within sight from my office and I reckon it'd be a cool way to spend some lunchtimes away from the desk.

Is there anything specific to look for in terms of sizing etc for someone who is 6'2" ish, or is it really just in the setup? Are bog standard frames available in different TT lengths - or you just get what you're given?

There's XL sizing for many brands - like the Kink Gap XL - which gives you a longer top-tube. The Charmed One is a good person to go out with because she goes out with a tall freak who's rather good at riding BMXs.
Tama

Postby Spokes on Thu 17/Sep/09 6:33am

Conners wrote:That looks pretty rad :thumbsup:

What you need is a XXL frame. BMX still works things out in imperial. So a pro frame has a 20.5" TT a XL is 21" and XXL is 21.75". XXLs are for 6 foot +. Keep away from freestyle bikes if you are getting it for the track. I believe Redline may have some old model flights in XXL around. ;)
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby Tama on Thu 17/Sep/09 6:42am

Spokes wrote:What you need is a XXL frame. BMX still works things out in imperial. So a pro frame has a 20.5" TT a XL is 21" and XXL is 21.75". XXLs are for 6 foot +. Keep away from freestyle bikes if you are getting it for the track. I believe Redline may have some old model flights in XXL around. ;)

Shows how much I know about BMXs :D

There's a few Redline XXLs available :)
Tama

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 17/Sep/09 1:46pm

I guess since the vegetable abuse allegations were made pubic riding a clown bike couldn't really put a dent in your shamelessness :thumbsup:

I still think you're dead butch, honest :paranoid:
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 6 months

BMX Riding | Cycling | Post Your Bike | Tama's Random Ramblings | Vogs - Latest Posts