Re: Junior Worlds Track 2010 Italy

Postby sprint supporter on Wed 11/Aug/10 11:19pm

Hey great write up, ferg. stephs dad here, hows your nails?
sprint supporter
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby sprint supporter on Thu 12/Aug/10 6:30am

hot off the txt
Results womens 500 mtr tt
First korea 35.470
2nd spain 35.950
3rd russia 36.329
4th germany 36.333
7th our steph (first year under 19) lead out rider with 36.531
11th our hettie with 37.132
Last edited by sprint supporter on Thu 12/Aug/10 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.
sprint supporter

Postby elpo on Thu 12/Aug/10 7:56am

any other results????
elpo
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby gydey on Thu 12/Aug/10 10:31am

Sprint supporter...I think I justified my question why was Alex Frame not in the IP.

results are available through Tissottiming.
gydey
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Fergie on Thu 12/Aug/10 12:11pm

Wow, .2 off a medal. Great optimism for next year.

I suspect next year it will be a question of what events will riders like Alex and Pieter not do at Junior Worlds.

Perhaps if Jason Christie or Gemma Dudley had focused on one event they would have one World Title rather than multiple minor medals. Not that minor medals are not a fantastic accomplishment at this high level.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby gydey on Thu 12/Aug/10 1:58pm

Please take this for what it is, and not being derogatory to anyone....

Success is a moving target, and I have heard time and again over the years, that this person and that person go up next year, so our rider will be in the medals...wrong!! You only increase your chances of being in the medals if you progress, and go faster, because you just dont know what countries have another Ana Meares, or Kruipkate, or McGee or Wiggans who will be first year juniors, next year, and do some phenominal time.

In coaching at this level, we project times that we have to achieve in order to win and make the podium, and then we track progression, although that is often difficult as progression is rarely linear, its more likely cyclic, so you wont see progression until the end of each phase of training. Even then, there is no guarentee of success.

I look forward to watching how our riders fear, and succeed or not, plans need to be made to try and help riders increase their performance either as second year juniors, or into the elite track ranks, as this is the most difficult transition in a track cyclists career.

Tomorrow is another day, aim higher, ride stronger, and fear no one, but always respect that riders who are competing at this level are the best of the best at this level... and remember they all want to win, and often its the ones who hurt the most whom succeed. In 06 I took away the Junior Team..and we had Sam Bewley whose fastest time was 3-30 in an IP. In training he progressed and won our trial and earned the right to ride the IP at Worlds. He did a PB at worlds by 10 seconds..and qualified 2nd, and won the silver. Sam spewed his guts out for 10 mins after as he had given everything he had...only to be told by the coach to go back to the hotel and eat and rest cos in the evening he had to go harder in the final... He did!!

State of mind!!!!!!!!!!
gydey

Postby Fergie on Thu 12/Aug/10 2:19pm

Must have been a great IP final to watch. The Dane went out hard, started to die a little, Parker clawed his way back into the lead and then blew to pieces with 2 laps to go.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Trackisbest on Thu 12/Aug/10 3:30pm

I hope there aren't too many expectations here at this event. And I hope we're not panicking.

I remember Fergie saying a long while ago on this board when this team was named that this trip looked like being a learning adventure to which Josh Atkins joined in and said not as far as he's concerned it's not. Well he pulled out and to be honest, was our best chance, so lets not panic if they don't bring home many medals. Steph McKenzie just has to be one of the favourites next year.

Due to the lack of high standards from second year riders in the under 19s at Invercargill this year, and the fact that most of this team at the worlds are first year riders, of course next year's event can be looked at with higher expectations.
Trackisbest
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Trackisbest on Thu 12/Aug/10 3:38pm

gydey wrote:Sprint supporter...I think I justified my question why was Alex Frame not in the IP.

results are available through Tissottiming.

Are you saying Alex had the IP in the bag had he done it Gydey?
Trackisbest

Postby sprint supporter on Thu 12/Aug/10 3:48pm

Well team, from our little sprinter squad this year, their main target has always been the team sprint (to be run tomorrow morning our time) if they pick anything else up along the way it will be a bonus.
From steph this am, first up and was unable to hear the count down clearly. but as a first year first hit out, she is happy with the result, a pb, a good experience 7/24 riders mostly 2nd year juniors to boot.

but yes to push thru the pain barrier, and to be comfortable with the pain, is all about conditioning, the bod, and the mind
sprint supporter

Postby Trackisbest on Thu 12/Aug/10 3:58pm

Fergie wrote:Wow, .2 off a medal. Great optimism for next year.

I suspect next year it will be a question of what events will riders like Alex and Pieter not do at Junior Worlds.

Perhaps if Jason Christie or Gemma Dudley had focused on one event they would have one World Title rather than multiple minor medals. Not that minor medals are not a fantastic accomplishment at this high level.

I see what you mean Fergie regards focus on the one event at the one meeting especially when they're going 3.15 for the 3km IP. But as an aside Dale Parker finished 4th in the road TT just a week or so ago.

Just saw the results. He must have blown up big time.
Last edited by Trackisbest on Thu 12/Aug/10 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trackisbest

Postby Trackisbest on Thu 12/Aug/10 4:02pm

sprint supporter wrote:Well team, from our little sprinter squad this year, their main target has always been the team sprint (to be run tomorrow morning our time) if they pick anything else up along the way it will be a bonus.
From steph this am, first up and was unable to hear the count down clearly. but as a first year first hit out, she is happy with the result, a pb, a good experience 7/24 riders mostly 2nd year juniors to boot.

but yes to push thru the pain barrier, and to be comfortable with the pain, is all about conditioning, the bod, and the mind

Good luck Steph's Dad
Trackisbest

Postby sprint supporter on Thu 12/Aug/10 5:27pm

Cheers Trackisbest,
Had to stay home and feed the dog:-( bulldogs can't be trusted with 3 weeks of food all at once) even tho he's got the sprinters profile, really fast but only ova a short distance :-) food well toooo temptg :)
sprint supporter

Postby Trackisbest on Thu 12/Aug/10 5:36pm

sprint supporter wrote:Cheers Trackisbest,
Had to stay home and feed the dog:-( bulldogs can't be trusted with 3 weeks of food all at once) even tho he's got the sprinters profile, really fast but only ova a short distance :-) food well toooo temptg :)

hehe Sprint Supporter, you're just being cunning so that you get to go next year ;)
Trackisbest

Postby gydey on Thu 12/Aug/10 5:50pm

Craig, you ALWAYS read negatives into everything..so stay away...

My point re Alex was that he qualified fastest first round at Nats from memory?? Given (from memory ) he rode a 24..and given it was 5 months for more progression to occur, I would have hoped that by worlds time he could ride around 22.. however I am not with the squad..so dont know what format they used to select the team. I just wondered why he wasnt selected ..ill, crash..or form?

And no..not panicing. We have a group of super wee sprinters and enduros... but at this level, if everyone has done their jobs, each rider should ride PBs, if they havent, then something is wrong with the process.

Yes we can look confidently if they do good performances this year..towards next year...but the point I am making Stephs dad, is that they must continue to progress further, and not rest believing that they have a shoe in once the 2nd year riders go up. If you take confidence out of that you stand to be very disappointed. If Justin is working with the sprint group, then I am confident they will, as I rate Justin a great coach...even though he hasnt coached long on the international stage...and whilst he has had huge success in the past year, there will always be disappointments in the future. Thats just part of the game we are in.
gydey

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts