Jono Builds A Trail Bike

Postby Jono on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:02am

I've been tyre kicking for a while on getting a bike to supplement my (much loved) vp-free. The 'free is an excellent do-it-all bike, but to be honest dragging a 43 pound beast uphill can be a bit of a drag, especially if there is carrying or getting up steps involved. And my knees aren't getting any younger.

So a couple of weeks back I settled on a Turner 5.spot. It's got a bunch of travel (140mm), is plenty stiff, and most importantly rides really nicely. It's got the new DW link thingie going down (so no horses), and the rides that I had on the WideOpen demo bike proved to me that it railed and jumped really nicely.

So yesterday I finally got a chance to start putting it together. The plan was to ride it last night, but we (me and Oli) were foiled by an incorrect brake adapter and a shortage of spokes. So there will be a couple of incremental updates over the next couple of days as the final bits come together.

The build was:
Turner 5.spot (large) in Raw (unpainted)
Marzocchi 55ATA forks
XTR Drivetrain
XTR pedals
Thompson Stem and Seatpost
Chris King headset
Hope Tech X2 brakes
Hope Pro2 Hubs with Mavic X717 rims (the original plan was Hadley hubs with Stans Arch rims, but I got impatient, and got the Hopes as a 2nd, lighter wheelset)
Easton EC70 CNT bar
WTB Vigo saddle

Anyways - here we go...

First of all, Oli faced the BB shell. Good alignment is really important with external BBs

IMG_2306.JPG

Then fit the headset, measure the fork steerer and cut down to size. I've left a bunch of steerer so that I can play around with the bar height if I want (although I think that I'll end up with it pretty low).

IMG_2307.JPG

Then I got on with fitting the cranks while oli built up the wheels. We were foiled by a shortage of spokes, but Oli got the rear wheel finished. At 732g, I'm guessing that it's going to roll a bit faster than the wheelset on my 'free.

IMG_2308.JPG

While I was setting up the rest of the drivetrain, I realised that I had an incorrect adapter. The 5.Spot comes with postmount fittings on the frame, not International Standard (IS) like most bikes. It's got an excellent idea though - captive nuts for mount threads instead of threading the frame itself. It means that if you strip a thread you just replace the captive nut, rather than having to deal with re-threading a frame or anything stressful like that.

So at 5:30pm, it was really time for me to head off if I was going to go riding and not keep Mike the hippy waiting. Derailleurs attached, brakes kinda in place, drivetrain not at all set up. These jobs always seem to take longer than you imagine :)

Oli will be finishing the bike off over the next day or so (spokes should be arriving today, and the post mount adapter tomorrow). More photos to follow as it comes together...

IMG_2311.JPG

Big thanks to Oli for his help and excellent wheel builds, and to WideOpen and KRD Distributors.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Re: Jono Builds A Trail Bike

Postby thelivo on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:10am

Jono - looks good!!!!
When you going to christen it?
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:12am

Looks beautiful Jono!
sifter
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:14am

Hotness :love: :cool: - needs gold cranks though :p
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Jono on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:15am

thelivo wrote:Jono - looks good!!!!
When you going to christen it?

Pretty much the moment that it's finished. Friday night would be my guess (although I finish at my current job on friday and I'm not really sure what the plans for the rest of the evening are yet). I'm rather looking forward to it - although Saturday is dedicated to a bit of shuttling so I may have to head out for a proper ride on Sunday.

And the raw finish is beautiful.

tama wrote:Hotness :love: :cool: - needs gold cranks though :p

Well, because I live in Wellyton (and are therefore, by extension, a wanker), I did find myself thinking about getting a couple of Yumeya bits. I'm not really keen on gold cranks though. Colour as an accent, not a focus :sly:
Jono

Postby tartgrandmother on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:22am

looks really cool!
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby slowMTB on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:31am

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice :)
I am looking forward to your assessment once you get some pedal time in :thumbsup:
Give us a built weight too please ;)
slowMTB
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Chickenman on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:31am

Photo's need more Oli!
Chickenman
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:33am

So what were the determining factors that tipped the decision the Turners way?

Looks HOTT!!
phunk
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Jono on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:34am

Chickenman wrote:Photo's need more Oli!

It's true. If only there was more oli to go around, we wouldn't have these constant energy crises :)
Jono

Postby Jono on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:45am

phunk wrote:So what were the determining factors that tipped the decision the Turners way?

Looks HOTT!!

It rides nice. It's not too heavy. It looks good, and Dave Turner has a good engineering head on him. the build quality is good. It rides nice. there aren't many of them around in NZ. It rides nice. It climbs well, flows along really smoothly, descends better than comparable bikes (in my opinion), and was easier to get in the air than my 'free. And it rides nice.

I was rather enamoured of the raw finish too, after seeing a raw highline when I was in whistler.

But mostly I chose it because it rides nice. On the demo bike I rode, it did feel like it would blow through it's travel more than you would expect, but I never once felt it bottom out. It had really good traction when climbing (especially since the demo bike had yellow kirins, which aren't exactly grand on traction where gravel is concerned), and on my final test ride I passed through the old BMX track in Karori. The start straight has a long-ish tabletop that I've been using as a learn-to-jump kinda jump. I rolled in with the normal speed that I would on the 'free, and completely overjumped the damned thing. The 5.spot has a bunch more "pop" than my free, and the lower weight probably helps too.

What decided it for me was when I went up to the 4X track, and was playing up there. I could do everything I did on my DH bike a bunch easier (well duh - it's a 4X track. But you know - you've got to find these things out for yourself). And the ride home afterwards over Mt Vic was really good too. It was one of those times where a bike just "connects", and I ordered the frame the next day.
Jono

Postby ursavage on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:57am

Jono there seems to be some mild confusion here... you have just recieved and built up the wrong bike. It would seem this bike was intended for me. Once you have finished building her up and bedding everything in - I will pop over and pick her up. :p

But seriously - sweet bike!
Will be VERY interested in your ride reviews.
Would also be keen to hear what you think of the 55 ATA. In particular if you find yourself using the travel adjust - what travel setting you end up using most, etc
ursavage
"Would rather be riding"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 23/Apr/09 11:59am

Yum :rolleyes: I wants me a 5spot, the post mount carry on in the rear end is totally rad
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 23/Apr/09 12:26pm

oh NO you DITN'T !!!!

(Chris King headset? really?) Don't you know the interwebs think they're bad, m'kay?

Does it ride nicely? It looks nice. You do realise that for the money you've spent you could have had a motorised bicycle?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby big_d on Thu 23/Apr/09 12:36pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:You do realise that for the money you've spent you could have had a motorised bicycle?

As is the case with most of us :blush:

Bloody nice bike Jono!
big_d
"GIGAAANNNNNNTOOR!"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike - Latest Posts