Smiling idiot
54%
All-round awesome guy
46%

Total voters : 91

Re: John Key: Smiling Idiot?

Postby thorg on Thu 10/Feb/11 7:42am

happybaboon wrote:
nostromo wrote:Hey check this out, ostensibly it's John Key talking about Goffs tax package (fair assasination job, but I'd like to see Goffs response) but check out all the hotties in the press gallery at 1:25. I chose the wrong career.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... _id=116370

Sorry, but whut? The guy who borrows 300 million a week on our behalf so he can give a tax cut to his rich buddies is calling somebody else "fiscally irresponsible"? One can't get much more fiscally irresponsible than Key without being in court alongside the rest of the directors of Bridgecorp....
perhaps he should have said "more" fiscally irresponsible - as Goff is wanting to spend even more money, which he cannot say where it will come from (translation = it either wont happen, or we will be borrowing even more than the 300mil a week the Nats a lumping us with).

They are different sides of the same coin.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 10/Feb/11 8:04am

thorg wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
nostromo wrote:Hey check this out, ostensibly it's John Key talking about Goffs tax package (fair assasination job, but I'd like to see Goffs response) but check out all the hotties in the press gallery at 1:25. I chose the wrong career.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... _id=116370

Sorry, but whut? The guy who borrows 300 million a week on our behalf so he can give a tax cut to his rich buddies is calling somebody else "fiscally irresponsible"? One can't get much more fiscally irresponsible than Key without being in court alongside the rest of the directors of Bridgecorp....
perhaps he should have said "more" fiscally irresponsible - as Goff is wanting to spend even more money, which he cannot say where it will come from (translation = it either wont happen, or we will be borrowing even more than the 300mil a week the Nats a lumping us with).

They are different sides of the same coin.

Yeah, I know :(
Goff is flapping in the breeze a bit right now... Hope he manages to propose a workable solution soon as to where the money is going to come from - realistically it can only come from one place, taxes on higher earning companies/people. That might be unpopular with 20% of the population, but c'mon, just come out and say it Goff! Propose a solution that'll end the deficit and improve the welfare of the majority of the population and people will vote for you maing. Otherwise step aside and let Andrew Little take over, 'cos he's got a smileyness that'll easily combat Key's.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby thorg on Thu 10/Feb/11 8:11am

Our rich aren't rich enough for the Nats wish list, let alone Goffs folly. The people who ARE rich enough have VERY good tax minimisation practices. Which is why the tiered tax system is pants. Goff needs a new idea, not an old dogma.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 10/Feb/11 10:09am

The only realistic solution to the deficit issue is the one curretly being implemented. Promote economic growth by lowering taxes, encouraging foregin investment and making the economy more efficent.

Higher taxes and bloated government departments (including SOE's) will just encourage more of what we currenlty have - ie foregin debit.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 10/Feb/11 10:18am

andrew little :crazy:
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 10/Feb/11 10:20am

Commie. Babs would vote for him.
j2hyde

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 10/Feb/11 10:21am

Mmmmmmm, pedostache.
andrew-little-campbell.jpg
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 10/Feb/11 10:24am

happybaboon wrote:Yeah, I know :(
Goff is flapping in the breeze a bit right now... Hope he manages to propose a workable solution soon as to where the money is going to come from - realistically it can only come from one place, taxes on higher earning companies/people. That might be unpopular with 20% of the population, but c'mon, just come out and say it Goff! Propose a solution that'll end the deficit and improve the welfare of the majority of the population and people will vote for you maing. Otherwise step aside and let Andrew Little take over, 'cos he's got a smileyness that'll easily combat Key's.

Andrew Little?

OMFG...

Way to alienate a lot of your voting base. Dumb fucking choice.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby bugle on Thu 10/Feb/11 10:25am

Some Govt Depts and SOE's actually make money...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 10/Feb/11 11:05am

They wouldn't if Andrew Little got in.
j2hyde

Postby Oli on Thu 10/Feb/11 11:55am

:D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Thu 10/Feb/11 8:23pm

Andrew Little is a fuck-knuckle. Militant mofo.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 10/Feb/11 8:40pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I just about pissed myself laughing at Bill English's reasoning:
SOE power companies make 15%, but if we sell part of them we can retire some debt that costs us 6% thereby being 9% less efficient use of that money. But that's OK because - prices were rising too fast for consumers - so partly privatising will slow prices rising - in exactly the same way it hasn't done anywhere else . . . . Oh except in telecommunications where it started to after telecom was forced to unbundle the local loop etc.
Or that by partially privatising the efficiency will rise and therefore the equity value of the company will rise and therefore government holding equity - ignoring the fact that net value is tied to profit and isn't going to spectacularly rise, if the prices are dropping and benefiting consumers as he suggested as benefit in his previous reasoning.

Having said that, there are some models of public private partnership that succeed in other countries I believe, but the logic, in this case seems fairly absent . . .

I dont think they are making a 15% return on their value, perhaps as a percentage of profit of their operating costs.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 10/Feb/11 10:44pm

nostromo wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:I just about pissed myself laughing at Bill English's reasoning:
SOE power companies make 15%, but if we sell part of them we can retire some debt that costs us 6% thereby being 9% less efficient use of that money. But that's OK because - prices were rising too fast for consumers - so partly privatising will slow prices rising - in exactly the same way it hasn't done anywhere else . . . . Oh except in telecommunications where it started to after telecom was forced to unbundle the local loop etc.
Or that by partially privatising the efficiency will rise and therefore the equity value of the company will rise and therefore government holding equity - ignoring the fact that net value is tied to profit and isn't going to spectacularly rise, if the prices are dropping and benefiting consumers as he suggested as benefit in his previous reasoning.

Having said that, there are some models of public private partnership that succeed in other countries I believe, but the logic, in this case seems fairly absent . . .

I dont think they are making a 15% return on their value, perhaps as a percentage of profit of their operating costs.

sounds alot doesnt it ?
heres the audio - Bill had that put to him that there was a 9% differential and didn't question the figures at all . . . .
starts about 45 secs.

http://static.radionz.net.nz/assets/aud ... s-m048.asx
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 11/Feb/11 8:30pm

As an example of the high quality of public service restructuring the Nats have already carried out, I have it on accurate authority that the National Library/archives merger which led to 55 redundancies has save $165,000 pa for the next 5 years. Well done.

While we're on about balancing the books why don't we means test the single biggest cost item in the budget (National Super) so my multi-millionaire uncle isn't collecting a taxpayer funded benefit, eh?
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts