Re: Jade Goody And The Nz Media

Postby thelivo on Mon 6/Apr/09 11:09am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
thelivo wrote:
My thoughts exactly - vorb can be pretty tasteless at times and quite rightly but this thread sank to a new low. :crazy:

You obviously missed the point of this thread being about Jade Goody not being news in NZ. Thousands of people die from cancer everyday, but why do we have to be subjected to the media soap opera of this silly bint? Keep it for the women's mags. :eh:

Nah i got it but some people using a thread to take a cheap dig at someone who just died of cancer is pretty low, regardless of what she did/didn't do.
And if its in the media, its because people lap that nonsense up. Says more about the readers than it does about the subjects. Its one of the reasons i got so fed up of the UK as it happens but unfortunately i am realising NZ is no better, they just think they are.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 6/Apr/09 11:36am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
thelivo wrote:
My thoughts exactly - vorb can be pretty tasteless at times and quite rightly but this thread sank to a new low. :crazy:

You obviously missed the point of this thread being about Jade Goody not being news in NZ. Thousands of people die from cancer everyday, but why do we have to be subjected to the media soap opera of this silly bint? Keep it for the women's mags. :eh:

My take is that you sir have missed the point that media has a self-selection capacity - no matter what media chucks my way I have the capacity to select what I will or won't read / watch / listen to - nothing is forced apon me. I control the volume & mute buttons, the channel button, the on/of button, the mouse, the buying of movie or concert tickets, and the turning of the pages of the newspaper or magazine .....
And for goodness sake there's way more important issues in the world than whether Jade Goody deserves to be on / in NZ media coverage ........
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 6/Apr/09 11:46am

pedalingkiwi wrote:My take is that you sir have missed the point that media has a self-selection capacity - no matter what media chucks my way I have the capacity to select what I will or won't read / watch / listen to - nothing is forced apon me. I control the volume & mute buttons, the channel button, the on/of button, the mouse, the buying of movie or concert tickets, and the turning of the pages of the newspaper or magazine .....
And for goodness sake there's way more important issues in the world than whether Jade Goody deserves to be on / in NZ media coverage ........

I guess you are right, we should sit idly while our news media descends into trivia. It's not like a significant bulk of the voting public receive their view of the world through the media. Still, there's a lot more potential to dumb down the news media. I hope you welcome the inevitability that the news will be replaced by a promo for Dancing with the Stars. Or are we already there?
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 6/Apr/09 11:59am

Yes we are partially there - whilst not exactly replacing the news, promo's for other TV programmes from within the news bulletin have been common for some years now - "for further on this (non) story watch 20/20 or 60 minutes later on this channel .....", or more recently "John Rowles was today forced to withdraw from Dancing with the Stars - that's on TV1 Tues 8.30 in case you didn't know - cause he's just not up to it ..."
It's just that the dumbing down / trivialising / limited relevance of media is just not new so why make a fuss of it. Get selective, don't be a victim. I'd be curious to know what action you are taking to stop the media descending into trivia .... ??
pedalingkiwi

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 6/Apr/09 12:05pm

pedalingkiwi wrote: I'd be curious to know what action you are taking to stop the media descending into trivia .... ??

I've lectured on logic and critical thinking for a number of years, including issues such as the media's depiction of science and pseudoscience, political rhetoric, and media ethics. hth
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby jnumbaz on Mon 6/Apr/09 12:59pm

oh snap
jnumbaz
"high-powered mass-cannon throwing tessellated plasma forward in an orgy of death and destruction"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 6/Apr/09 3:36pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote: I'd be curious to know what action you are taking to stop the media descending into trivia .... ??

I've lectured on logic and critical thinking for a number of years, including issues such as the media's depiction of science and pseudoscience, political rhetoric, and media ethics. hth

Keep up the good work - it's clearly making a difference :p
pedalingkiwi

Postby j2hyde on Mon 6/Apr/09 4:08pm

It's not Edoggs fault that the world is increasingly populated by retards. We can thank the welfare state for that.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 6/Apr/09 5:57pm

Scraping the bottom of the bait barrel now .........
pedalingkiwi

Postby Wobbler on Mon 6/Apr/09 6:29pm

no u r
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 6/Apr/09 6:53pm

Well i'm an injineur :D
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Mon 6/Apr/09 7:26pm

WAREZ UR COLLET WTF???
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 6/Apr/09 7:39pm

UR 2 SLO TEH FRED IZ SUPPOZED TO B DERAILED BY PAGE TOO
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 6/Apr/09 9:06pm

thelivo wrote:And if its in the media, its because people lap that nonsense up. Says more about the readers than it does about the subjects.
People digest what's put in front of them. We should be able to expect that the media lives up to it's duty to actually serve up what people need not necessarily what they want.

The media is responsible for dumbing itself down, in a nation with only 2 real channels there is no democracy of the remote.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Politics | Sifting | Television - Latest Posts