Iphone Unlocking

Postby WayneG on Sat 18/Jun/11 8:25pm

My sister has left me her iPhone 3 which she got in Japan where do I send/take it to to be unlocked so I can use it here in NZ?
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Iphone Unlocking

Postby SamKnight on Sat 18/Jun/11 9:49pm

Edit: Sorry gave you duff gen, japanese iphones cannot be unlocked, if you wish to use it you will have to go the less legit route: Google jailbreaking your iPhone model and you'll find videos on how to do it (caution: this will void any warranty etc that your phone has)
Last edited by SamKnight on Sat 18/Jun/11 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby pb on Sat 18/Jun/11 10:13pm

Apple can do it for you. Costs about $1100. They also modify the hardware a bit to make it a lot like an iPhone4. :)
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby WayneG on Sun 19/Jun/11 8:19am

pb wrote:Apple can do it for you. Costs about $1100. They also modify the hardware a bit to make it a lot like an iPhone4. :)

$1100 I can buy a new phone for that much!
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Slim on Sun 19/Jun/11 8:52am

WayneG wrote:
pb wrote:Apple can do it for you. Costs about $1100. They also modify the hardware a bit to make it a lot like an iPhone4. :)

$1100 I can buy a new phone for that much!

I think that is the point ;)
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 19/Jun/11 8:59am

go the jailbreak route. knowing apples 'screw the consumer' attitude, warranty on a phone bought in from japan probably won't apply anyway ( unless you go back to japan )
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Slim on Sun 19/Jun/11 9:04am

It's a iphone 3, it'll be at least 2 years old anyway.........
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby dmc on Sun 19/Jun/11 5:07pm

Its hardly Apple doing the dirty, in NZ phones aren't locked to Telco's but overseas most of them lock their phones so its got bugger all to do with Apple its how the Telco market works, if anything Apple is setting about screwing the Telco's as they are making a move to sell unlocked phones in more markets which I bet the Telco's hate.
As far as unlocking its pretty much a huge bitch if a Telco has locked it as they have no interest in letting people run phones they subsidised on contract be used on another network, if it cost you nothing then you can have a crack just google unlocking and jailbreaking but don't be shocked if it doesn't work. As with most higher end smart phones $1000+ is the norm but there are some cheaper driod's etc now coming out and still rumours of Apple making an entry level iPhone but who knows.
dmc
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 19/Jun/11 5:10pm

Based on their functionality all iPhones are already entry-level. Just not entry level prices.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby dmc on Sun 19/Jun/11 5:16pm

happybaboon wrote:Based on their functionality all iPhones are already entry-level. Just not entry level prices.

Well thats your opinion but I'm more than happy with my iPhone4 and not finding it misses any features I would need. I've used the all singing bells and whistles Samsung Driod and apart from the better camera which really didn't produce noticable differences it felt cheaply made compared to my iPhone.
I guess it comes down to what hardware you use and since I'm running Mac it intergrates far better than any other platform, if I was using PC then maybe I'd look again.
dmc
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby ChumlyPogward on Thu 26/Feb/15 8:08am

Yea if you have a mac you are already deep into the Apple closed ecology, an iPhone is just another reason to stay there....

Whereas I enjoy the unfettered goodness of a Nexus 5. Which makes me clearly superior as both a cyclist and a human being :huh:
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Thu 26/Feb/15 8:11am

Ahem. Time-stamp check Mr Pogward ;)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Kev on Thu 26/Feb/15 9:11am

To be fair, I don't think there is a statute limitations on the superiority of the android ubermensch over Apple knuckle draggers :p
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby ChumlyPogward on Thu 26/Feb/15 2:35pm

scatter wrote:Ahem. Time-stamp check Mr Pogward ;)

Not only am I free of Apple's needless restrictions, I am my own boss so I can browse forums and make inane comments whenever I like; ie 2.34 in the afternoon.

I am also free to go broke by not doing any work, so I shall go and browse Reddit for a while....
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Thu 26/Feb/15 4:12pm

ChumlyPogward wrote:
scatter wrote:Ahem. Time-stamp check Mr Pogward ;)

Not only am I free of Apple's needless restrictions, I am my own boss so I can browse forums and make inane comments whenever I like; ie 2.34 in the afternoon.

I am also free to go broke by not doing any work, so I shall go and browse Reddit for a while....

Are you also free to go back in time and answer questions from Sun 19/Jun/11 at 5:16pm?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts