Invercargill Track Carnival

Postby Fergie on Fri 15/Jan/10 5:07pm

Just made the 7 hr drive to Invers for their Track Carnival. Come down with a large group of Canterbury riders. Took one of my Juniors to the top of the track with his eyes closed and pissed myself watching him freak as he saw the steepness compared to Denton. Carnival on tonight and tomorrow night. All agree that it is a fantastic facility. Weather is pretty crap down her but who cares!!! It's indoors!!!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Invercargill Track Carnival

Postby tony_11 on Fri 15/Jan/10 8:31pm

Fergie wrote:Just made the 7 hr drive to Invers for their Track Carnival. Come down with a large group of Canterbury riders. Took one of my Juniors to the top of the track with his eyes closed and pissed myself watching him freak as he saw the steepness compared to Denton. Carnival on tonight and tomorrow night. All agree that it is a fantastic facility. Weather is pretty crap down her but who cares!!! It's indoors!!!

Seven Hour drive, now that is dedication Fergie.
I had a flashback with your mention of how steep the track is. My leaving party in the UK consisted of a night out.. In Manchester Velodrome, 3 hours of trackness. Was just brilliant. But i do remember looking at how steep it was when we first got there, then thinking how on earth do you stay upright on those corners.
tony_11
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby slowMTB on Fri 15/Jan/10 9:41pm

Fergie wrote:Just made the 7 hr drive to Invers for their Track Carnival. Come down with a large group of Canterbury riders. Took one of my Juniors to the top of the track with his eyes closed and pissed myself watching him freak as he saw the steepness compared to Denton. Carnival on tonight and tomorrow night. All agree that it is a fantastic facility. Weather is pretty crap down her but who cares!!! It's indoors!!!

7 hrs - horse and carriage :ib:

.... good on ya for making the pilgrimage Ferg and team :thumbsup:
slowMTB
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 15/Jan/10 10:44pm

Awesome night of racing tonight. Shem Rodgers, Tom Scully and Joanne Kiesanowski were the big winners of the night and Scully put on awesome display of control to take out the 10,000m feature race while Masters Rider Jerrard Strock won the Wheelrace. Dylan Kennett responded to the claims of sit and sprinter by blowing the U17 3000m scratch race to pieces leaving fellow NZ Devp Squad riders Tom Beadle, Hamish Schureurs and Kristoff in the dust which a series of attacks. Alysha Keith and Sophie Williamson were the better U17 female riders.

My rider of the day was the U19 rider Alex Frame who was in Div 2 with most of the other U19s and attacked the crap out of them then we snuck him into the 10,000 race and not content to hang in with the Cream of NZ cycling attacked the field to go up to the break of Ryan and Bewley. Graeme Hunn take note, this kid is HOT!!!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby elpo on Sat 16/Jan/10 9:58am

do u have a full list of results? or know where we can find them
elpo
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 16/Jan/10 10:55am

Cycling Southland, maybe Southland Times. Was a great night watching the very well drilled NZ Track Team riders in action. Had a good chat with local legend Ray Robinson to gain further insight on how to race the track. Was my intention for bringing six of my riders down to enjoy the speed and added challenges of racing this track.
Fergie

Postby elpo on Sat 16/Jan/10 11:14am

Have looked on the sothland site couldnt find results there.
elpo
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 16/Jan/10 3:27pm

They never usually put them up, but then neither did we for the Cantebrury Carnival.

All the juniors were stoked that Michael Vink joined them for a bunch rider this morning. They went out to Bluff where Vink and Tayla Harrison rode up Bluff Hill. They all met us back at Zookeepers for lunch where the boys pestered him with questions about riding Southland and his rides at Elite Nationals. He is very professional and such a great role model although all the boys now want to do 1000k weeks rolling at 35kph in the 53x11 :p
Fergie

Postby Fergie on Sat 16/Jan/10 10:40pm

Classic Vink, building the legend some more riding 200kms on the road (and not pissing around either) before racing the track tonight.

Not as much fun tonight with the NZ team riders on their way to Beijing for the World Cup but still some good hard racing and an opportunity for the U19s to take the limelight. Shem Rogers won a couple of events while Gemma Dudely and Joanne Kiesanowski were smacking out some close sprints in the women's racing. Josh Atkins won the big wheelrace off 40m then drilled himself to win the final 20lap scratch race after Alex Frame set the tempo into the final laps. Dylan Kennett and Alysha Keith were on top of the U17 events.
Fergie

Postby Fergie on Sun 17/Jan/10 10:34pm

Just got home from the 7hr return drive thoroughly elated with how my crew went and the awesome weekend of racing Cycling Southland put on for everyone. The ILT velodrome virgins had their cherries well and truly popped. Also a big thanks to Mark Harrison, Mark Tutton, John Edmonston and Craig Kennett for helping me out and supporting me in getting the riders out of their comfort zones.

Was a blast to see the NZ Team Riders in action. I have never seen such a well prepared, motivated and powerful group and wish them the best in Beijing.

Today was the Criterium around the Ascot Hotel. Kristof Ford scored some revenge over Dylan Kennett in the U17s putting in some serious attacks and positioning himself well to hit the final sprint ahead of Tom Beadle and Kennett. The race was started handicap style to give the U17 girls a wee head start and even when caught early thanks to the pace set by Ford and Hamish Schreurs, Sophie Williamson hung in tight with this group till the end.

The women rode with Div 3 and were the main pace setters as Joanne Kiesanowski, Gemma Dudley and Gabby Vermunt made numerous attempts to split the group. Despite some last minute moves by Dudley, Kiesanowski prevailed in the sprint them promptly lined up for the Div 2 race. She was still very proactive in this event but Derek Tan scored an impressive solo victory and Kiesanowski who has recovered from a nasty spill at the Canterbury Carnival had a fright as one U19 rider dived across the road in front of her then another U19 pulled his foot in the sprint. Jo had a few choice words for those boys and if a Junior Selector was present some black marks may have gone beside some names.

In the Div 1 event the move went early with Michael Vink, Ruaraidh McLeod, U19 Dillon Kennett and an Aussie rider establishing a solid lead. Laping hard they shelled the Aussie then both Vink and McLeod tried moves each probably fearful of the others sprint. Through the bell McLeod launched a move from the back that looked like it might break the strings but in the end Vink scored another win.
Fergie

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts