Internet Copyright Bill Debated Under Urgency.

Postby The Padre on Thu 14/Apr/11 7:38am

I doubt if this would effect many here, but here we go again, look out downloaders. I cant see isp's being happy with this.

NZPA © Enlarge photo

Parliament last night debated under urgency a controversial bill designed to prevent illegal file sharing by Internet users, and it will be passed into law today.

The need to protect copyright material was recognised in 2008, when the previous Labour government introduced legislation which would have allowed internet users to be disconnected for repeat infringements.

That caused an outcry from user groups, and the current government put it on hold while it worked out a compromise.

The compromise, in the Copyright (Infringing File Sharing) Amendment Bill, was introduced in February last year and went through a long and contentious select committee process.

It allows copyright owners to send evidence of alleged infringements to internet service providers (ISPs), who will then send up to three infringement notices to the account holder.

If the warnings are ignored, the copyright owner can take a claim to the Copyright Tribunal and the tribunal can make awards of up to $15,000 against the account holder.

There is provision in the bill which would allow a copyright holder to apply through a court for suspension of service, but it won't come into force unless the Government considers the warning system isn't effective.

"Currently, copyright owners lack an effective enforcement measure against illegal file sharing," Defence Minister Wayne Mapp said last night, speaking in Parliament on behalf of Commerce Minister Simon Power.

"The compromise provides the right balance between internet users and an effective deterrent against file sharing."

Labour's Clare Curran said her party would support the bill, and acknowledged that the legislation introduced by the previous government had caused "a grand stoush".

"In coming years, the Internet will become increasingly more essential in our lives," she said.

"Disconnection is a disproportionate remedy for file sharing...this bill represents a better law, although I know it won't satisfy everyone."

The bill was being debated last night under urgency, called mainly to pass the Canterbury earthquake legislation.

The Government put several other bills on the urgency list which have been on the order paper for a long time, including the copyright legislation.

The bill went through its second reading, committee stage and most of its third reading stage last night.

It will be passed soon after Parliament resumes at 9am today.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-storie ... r-urgency/
The Padre
"Ive had a rough day either turn your loud crappy music down or Im going to wreck havoc! ... God Bless you child."
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Internet Copyright Bill Debated Under Urgency.

Postby NickCW on Thu 14/Apr/11 8:45am

Interesting, I thought it was already in place. The flat I was in a couple of years back got temporarily cut off by an infringement (think we were with xnet at the time)
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 14/Apr/11 8:47am

NickCW wrote:Interesting, I thought it was already in place. The flat I was in a couple of years back got temporarily cut off by an infringement (think we were with xnet at the time)

Gees under what basis did they do that!..

Sounds like more than file sharing was going on, maybe some sort of other misuse.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Owen on Thu 14/Apr/11 8:53am

NickCW wrote:Interesting, I thought it was already in place. The flat I was in a couple of years back got temporarily cut off by an infringement (think we were with xnet at the time)

Yeah that happened to us too, xnet kicked us out for good.
Owen
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby NickCW on Thu 14/Apr/11 8:56am

Someone downloaded Gears of War off piratebay (Microsoft keeps watch on their products).
They killed the connection, I gave them a call about it and the guy on the other line said they had received an infringement notice from MS.
He then said something along the lines of 'Bro get a rapidshare account' and turned our internet back on :lol:

Awesome ISP, would use again
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 14/Apr/11 8:58am

and this is exactly the problem.
The burden of proof lies with the accused, not the accuser. So an rights holder can shut you off on their own say so.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby northernmonkey on Thu 14/Apr/11 10:27am

I thought there was already plently of legislation in this area, all this does is transfer the burden of proof to the accused... Mind you given that National seem to think $22k PA is enough of an income to mount your own criminal defence on I'm guessing the rightes of the accused don't get much air time.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby The Padre on Thu 14/Apr/11 10:31am

typical bs national government :satan:
The Padre
"Ive had a rough day either turn your loud crappy music down or Im going to wreck havoc! ... God Bless you child."

Postby Scotty on Thu 14/Apr/11 10:43am

Labour voted for it too.

Nice little bunch of fascists in the beehive these days.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 14/Apr/11 10:51am

Haha, it's law now you thieving parasites. :lol:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Scotty on Thu 14/Apr/11 10:57am

Presumption of guilty until proven innocent is awesome.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby The Padre on Thu 14/Apr/11 11:05am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Haha, it's law now you thieving parasites. :lol:

get a clue man you sound like the people that pushed this through, they could ping anyone anytime.. even people perfect little shiners like yourself. Next they might even clamp down on youtube.. lol who knows. The detection might accidentally pick an innocent person up for surfing some totally legal site, unbeknown to them they are file sharing (Ive seen it happen!!) and you get the warning letter.
Its ridiculous!
The Padre

Postby Colin on Thu 14/Apr/11 11:25am

The Padre wrote:The detection might accidentally pick an innocent person up for surfing some totally legal site, unbeknown to them they are file sharing (Ive seen it happen!!) and you get the warning letter.
Its ridiculous!

I'd crap my daks if a warning letter arrived in my box
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby The Padre on Thu 14/Apr/11 11:28am

Well in the OP I did state most here wouldnt be too bothered, so I wouldnt worry about it, sounds like you'd have less of a percentage.

The laws needed yes, but it far too transparent and far to open to unfairness for innocent folk.

Another great rush job mp's :crazy:
The Padre

Postby wuffy on Thu 14/Apr/11 11:28am

If you have a file on your computer, and you're connected to the internet, you can be accused of file sharing.

Many many people can create bot-nets (hidden networks over up to 10s of thousands of computers) hidden from the person who actually owns the computer and use it to distribute files and/or info.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Local Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts