International Kiwi Mountain Biker Results From July 4th/5th

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Thu 9/Jul/09 7:46am

With NZ athletes still hitting different major events around the globe, great performances are being generated in many places by the travelling Kiwis.

Over the weekend, several were in action in Canada at the 6th round of the Canadian Cup in Bromont, Quebec. Wet weather all week had turned both crosscountry and downhill courses into technically challenging races, even more so than usual at this venue which is also gearing up to host a World MTB Cup in three weeks time.

Nic Leary continued her great run of form with a 2nd place in the Elite Womens cross country race. "I'm just stoked to put another result on the board," said a delighted Leary. "I know I've still got a lot more 'getting faster' to do, but today felt great. I've been working hard on my technical riding and today that really showed through. I'm really happy not just for me, but for everyone who supports me. My sponsors, friends, and family."

Leary's partner (and Coach) Mark "Cabin" Leishman ensured it was a memorable day for the couple, turning in a strong top 10 finish of his own. Leishman started from the rear of the field and steadily worked his way through to 9th by race end.

Meanwhile at the Canadian Cup downhill, two NZers were getting their race wheels on against a high quality field. James Rennie (19th) and Dan Simms (42nd) were getting their first taste this year of international competition in a race won by former World Champion Sam Hill.

The seven day BC Bike race also wound up over the weekend in British Columbia, Canada. This stage race had drawn a World Class field of current elite performers and former top level athletes and featured two NZers in the Solo results. Dunedin's Tony Hogg finished 3rd in the Solo Mens category, and Sarah Heine 2nd in the 40+ Solo Womens category.

Back in Europe at Chur in Switzerland, at a category 2 downhill event attached to the Swiss National Championships, Tauranga's Hayden Lee broke through to a podium 5th, only fractions of a second off 3rd place. Junior Cam Johnson (Alexandra) raced to a very respectable 47th place in the open field.

Issued for MTBNZ Performance
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

British Columbia | Canada | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Epic Riding | Europe | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | North America | Quebec | Regions | Switzerland - Latest Posts