Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby Rik on Wed 22nd Mar 10:39am

Is anyone following this race?
https://www.curvecycling.bike/

It's nuts, check out day 4 highlights
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby dave_sharpe on Wed 22nd Mar 11:19am

I've been following it, for sure.

Pretty cool - although a 147km straight doesn't appeal too much! The average speed so far speaks volumes for the terrain (flat) and favourable wind, it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up if the predicted headwinds eventuate over the nek few days.
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Wed 22nd Mar 12:31pm

dave_sharpe wrote:Pretty cool - although a 147km straight doesn't appeal too much!

They talk about mental strength being more important than physical strength. I don't think I could do a whole day pedalling in a straight line. Reckon I'd get to the point of thinking about swerving into the path of a road train to end the misery.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 25th Mar 9:22pm

dave_sharpe wrote:I've been following it, for sure.

Pretty cool - although a 147km straight doesn't appeal too much! The average speed so far speaks volumes for the terrain (flat) and favourable wind, it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up if the predicted headwinds eventuate over the nek few days.

I've been following it.
There have already been very tiring headwinds.
When you have Cycling Maven doing 20kph along the flat you know its tough :hmmm:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby jo on Sat 25th Mar 11:17pm

I'm on the Great Ocean Rd today, haven't seen them yet. Maybe tomorrow.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mfw on Mon 27th Mar 7:25am

Looks like the legendary Mike Hall just dropped back, about to be caught by Sarah Hammond? He was looking a bit delirious in some of the videos (no wonder after the lack of sleep). Definately 'type 3' fun :crazy:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Tue 28th Mar 1:32pm

This is turning into a fascinating race. I'm in awe of the top three, riding neck 'n neck (if you call being within 100k of the next rider close)
Rik

Postby Rik on Wed 29th Mar 12:33pm

Mike Hall is only 10Ks off the leader
Rik

Postby mfw on Wed 29th Mar 7:58pm

Whoa, and he's taken the lead! Last few days it's looked like he was slipping ever further back, then bam!

Looking at the graphs it looks like KA has just had a 'big' 10 hour stop (sleep) and Mike's due one, so it's not over yet!
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Fri 31st Mar 9:44am

Depending on sleep strategies. This should be the last day of the race for the leaders
Rik

jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Fri 31st Mar 1:44pm

Yeah, who ever it was (no names have been released as yet) it's a freaking tragedy.
Rik

Postby Rik on Fri 31st Mar 3:24pm

Race Cancelled
Rik

Postby Tugboat on Fri 31st Mar 3:38pm

What a devastating end to what had been an incredible race.

Kristof less than a day's ride from the finish after being seriously challenged by Mike on the Falls Creek climb. And now this. Fucking terrible. :(

RIP Mike.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby 13daza on Fri 31st Mar 10:25pm

:(
13daza
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts