Increased Defenses For Riding On The Road

Postby happybaboon on Fri 26/Sep/14 8:56pm

Yo,

So I ride on the road to commute and also for fitness, in a city. I always ride with 2x 120 lumen lights at the back and a 200 lumen flasher at the front (http://seesense.co/ - these, they're VERY visible but fiddly to use). Also a top with high vis elements, reflectors on pannier bags... I can't think of much more I could realistically do visibility wise.
I'm aggressive with my road positioning (I take a lane for myself)

Yet today when riding around a parked car a stupid woman clipped me - wing mirror vs end of bar. I'd gone into the next lane over about 25m beforehand, indicated, and was literally in the middle of the lane. I corrected and dragged my exposed bar end along the side of her newish volkswagen ( :D ). She scarpered when I screamed at her for being a retard. I chased her down through a couple of sets of red lights and cornered her in a carpark where she was very apologetic :hmmm: She "didn't see" me. A lighter rider/road bike without panniers instead of my commuting bike with wide bars and lots of weight and the rider wouldn't have had stability to stay upright. I'd have ended up lying in the middle of 70kph traffic.
I gave her a good telling off, police report, blah blah.

Question is - what more can be done? Cameras? More lights?

I was wondering about putting a bar on the back of my rack - to stick out say 400mm or so past where my elbow would be. Paint it fluro/reflective and have a bright flasher on the end of it. Thoughts?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Increased Defenses For Riding On The Road

Postby RHR_Rob on Fri 26/Sep/14 9:11pm

doesn't realy matter what you do, but your better off leaving the end of the bar sharp so at least there will be some satisfaction in the large scrape down the side of their car......
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Fri 26/Sep/14 9:16pm

Shit, glad you didn't crash!
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Fri 26/Sep/14 9:20pm

I moved to a high power front light to be more visible - its better, but I still expect the drivers not to see me.
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/TGLI ... ront-light
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 26/Sep/14 9:21pm

nice of her to drive away.
old style bar ends with a series of screws with the heads outward?
seriously. I have a flashing led vest with about 30 lamps on it. front and back. it seems to stop traffic dead
I feel stupid wearing it though :blush:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Fri 26/Sep/14 9:23pm

I was fairly astonished. So was the woman - she said she wasn't sure what had happened, but looked back and I was still upright so she assumed she hadn't hit me :angry:
I think it helped that I was going moderately fast, but not outrageously fast :eh: Also similar speeds to the car that hit me. And a reasonable amount of weight, low to the ground, with flat bars.

There was good damage to her car :D
I picked a chunk of paint out of the bar end when I got home. So glad I left the plastic end cap off. I might expose a few mm of bar to keep my hands further out of the way :huh:
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Fri 26/Sep/14 9:24pm

foremannz wrote:I moved to a high power front light to be more visible - its better, but I still expect the drivers not to see me.

Do they come in a rear light version? :eh:

How about a laser that'll burn through paint if they get closer than 1m? :D
happybaboon

Postby Colin on Fri 26/Sep/14 11:08pm

"I didn't see you" is easier to say than "I saw you but didn't take enough care"
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 26/Sep/14 11:12pm

Yeah I know. I was also angered by the attempt to flee/hide in a carpark. I only just saw where she ducked into - I'm glad I thrashed my lungs and went through those red lights in order to confront her. Hopefully it will prevent her from hitting another cyclist.
happybaboon

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 27/Sep/14 1:44am

Well done. Righteous rage is hella fun.

Check the spread of your rear flashers. Lots of rear lights are concentrated in an absurdly small beam.

A white or fluoro helmet will help you get seen over the top of cars, which is occasionally important. Modern helmets are pretty crap at showing up from the rear though.

Fluoro pannier cover? Or stick some on the back side. Backpack covers show up brilliantly.

Fluoro tops are great too. My fluoro mesh vest is nowhere near as bright as a fluoro top.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Sat 27/Sep/14 2:29am

The rear flashers aren't the problem. They have a frensel lens like what a lighthouse has. They're actually pretty cool, but they've got some real annoying design flaws too :(
There's already plenty of reflectives and fluro yellows. But I can add more. Le sigh.

As empowering as it is to yell horrible words at bad drivers, it's not enough to overcome the helpless feeling of being able to do nothing to stop the next one.
happybaboon

Postby foremannz on Sat 27/Sep/14 6:43am

happybaboon wrote:
foremannz wrote:I moved to a high power front light to be more visible - its better, but I still expect the drivers not to see me.

Do they come in a rear light version? :eh:

How about a laser that'll burn through paint if they get closer than 1m? :D

You could always run a red filter through it :thumbsup:

The rear light I have is one of these, and its effectiveness was backed up by another cyclist saying she could see me over 100m away! (I always set it to all LEDs flash together)
http://www.wiggle.com.au/lezyne-zecto-d ... led-light/
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Barbsarama on Sat 27/Sep/14 8:13am

Sorry to hear about your accident :(
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 27/Sep/14 1:33pm

I think a big part of the solution will be to abandon the city.
It's only sensible. Too much risk of dying on a bike here. And screw driving to work - slower than riding what with the traffic. And tolls. :D

Also when one considers the imminent Ebola Jihadist zombie apocalypse it becomes an even more obvious option - ones last stand should be in the countryside. The cityfolk will die way fast.
happybaboon

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 27/Sep/14 3:51pm

Yeah telecommuting is the way to go so long as you have broadband.
The remote part is easiest, just bolt some vet attachments on to a standard Cherry 2000 robot.

The zombies will chew through your internet cables before they attack your isolated retreat.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts