Re: Increased Defenses For Riding On The Road

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 29/Sep/14 9:36pm

That reminds me of the chap who put a straight bearing pick into a biro to use for writing on steel, it was non retractable and a little stabby but very sharp. Much better than my usual fine OHP spirit marker for making permanent marks.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby 13daza on Mon 29/Sep/14 10:19pm

I had some stupid woman in a toyota prado overtake me as I was approaching a roundabout on the way to work this morning . I indicated right ,checked behind me and pulled out into the middle of the lane about 40 meters or so from the roundabout (to stop some random wanker from trying to run me over and say they didnt see me)
She was about 20 meters back when I moved out into the center she followed me then at the last second drove over the traffic island and keep left sign on the right to get past .So she sails through the roundabout then slams on her brakes stops in the middle of the road to turn into a drive on the right just past the roundabout .
I followed her in and with great restraint ( I was polite )inquired as to why she drove in such a dangerous manner She got all huffy and snapped shes" sick of being held up by cyclists taking up the whole road " and stormed off to whatever hovel she works in before I could get another word in .
A rather stupid argument on her part as I had to brake heavily when she stopped I would have held her up about a couple of bike lengths at most .Obviously she saw me in a bright red jacket and with a mega bright red flashing light directly in front of her . She just didn't want to wait for the bike .
Net result ,I was late for work Cause I stopped (and pissed off when I got there) ,shes probably been bitching all her workmates ears off about how much of a pain in the ass cyclist are .

I must have mellowed with age ..... I left the mirrors and paint on her vehicle intact

I know its not legal in this country but Im pretty sure if cyclists could carry around a shot gun over the shoulder, most motorists would suddenly be very very polite ...... magpies would become less of a problem too
13daza
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 29/Sep/14 10:28pm

13daza What a nasty piece of work she is :angry:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/180561/h ... uipment/15

A thread on carrying a gun on bikes ;)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Sep/14 10:41pm

I'm struggling to think of something that looks like a gun but would be totally innocent to carry on a bike, tucked into a back pocket..............

In 'Merica you could just be a black youth and carry a cellphone/chocolate bar/nothing at all and have people assume you're toting a SMG.

In the mean time I'm just using the footpath. The road just isn't worth the risk round here :( Also looking for a job in teh countrys.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby 13daza on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:11pm

I got it !!!

Someone needs to invent a co2 tire inflator that is a similar shape to a handgun (of course ,this would be purely for ergonomic reasons ,say to reduce nerve damage from holding a freezing cold cartridge at an awkward angle ) you could put the cartridge in the hand grip and have a flexible hose come out the barrel ,just pull the trigger to inflate .

Just don't "whip it out" in front of a cop ..... they may get a bit twitchy ,although if you don't get tasered or shot you'd possibly get a laugh when the floppy hose pops out at em . :)
13daza
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:17pm

Of course it would be designed so if you tried to inflate a tyre without it being connected to a valve it would make a very loud, sharp bang noise. To warn you that it was not connected to a valve.
happybaboon

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:36pm

happybaboon wrote:Of course it would be designed so if you tried to inflate a tyre without it being connected to a valve it would make a very loud, sharp bang noise. To warn you that it was not connected to a valve.

perhaps even propelling a small valve cap shaped object at very high speed in the direction pointed...?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 1/Oct/14 11:38pm

Lead valve caps would fuck with stability, wouldn't they? :huh:
happybaboon

Postby RJD on Thu 2/Oct/14 9:55am

I'm pretty sure a gang patch jacket would be more noticeable than a high viz one...
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 2/Oct/14 11:12am

OMFG WANT NOW
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Thu 2/Oct/14 11:15am

Also you could put a jacket-coloured outline of a gun on the back - so when reflected in the dark it would look like you were packing heat, but if you got stopped by the cops the "gun" would be invisible :huh:
happybaboon

Postby who8thepies on Thu 2/Oct/14 12:22pm

foremannz wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
foremannz wrote:I moved to a high power front light to be more visible - its better, but I still expect the drivers not to see me.
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/TGLI ... ront-light

Do they come in a rear light version? :eh:

How about a laser that'll burn through paint if they get closer than 1m? :D

You could always run a red filter through it :thumbsup:

The rear light I have is one of these, and its effectiveness was backed up by another cyclist saying she could see me over 100m away! (I always set it to all LEDs flash together)
http://www.wiggle.com.au/lezyne-zecto-d ... led-light/

I followed a guy from Blenheim to Renwick with a light like that. I was probably 500 metres away and could see his rear light sticking out like the proverbial dogs bollocks.
who8thepies
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Thu 2/Oct/14 12:59pm

RJD wrote:I'm pretty sure a gang patch jacket would be more noticeable than a high viz one...

Yeah but then you can't ride through Wanganui. :eh:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 2/Oct/14 1:14pm

Exactly. Win win. :eh:
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Thu 2/Oct/14 1:34pm

Hmmm you can get small cameras for US$40 odd off aliexpress.

Two of them, front and rear... Worth a shot?

Also you can get these front lights :D
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 98924.html
happybaboon

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts