Re: Increased Defenses For Riding On The Road

Postby happybaboon on Sat 27/Sep/14 3:59pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_2000
In the year 2017, the United States has suffered a series of civil insurrections and economic downturns, fragmenting America into post-apocalyptic wastelands and limited civilized areas.

It's really scary when you look back and realise how accurately a movie predicted the future. :cry:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 27/Sep/14 5:34pm

happybaboon wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_2000
In the year 2017, the United States has suffered a series of civil insurrections and economic downturns, fragmenting America into post-apocalyptic wastelands and limited civilized areas.

It's really scary when you look back and realise how accurately a movie predicted the future. :cry:

True.

Someone I know downloaded it last week. The torrent in English is only 1GB, it is tolerable quality.
The 2GB Italian one has a better picture but has 4 sec different run time so we'll use two laptops and some wine to keep them in sync. My young flatmate's education has sadly missed out this classic.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sun 28/Sep/14 4:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 27/Sep/14 7:21pm

Oi! Stealiing movies is what caused the apocalyptic wasteland which is present day Hollywood :hmmm:
happybaboon

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 27/Sep/14 11:40pm

happybaboon wrote:I was wondering about putting a bar on the back of my rack - to stick out say 400mm or so past where my elbow would be. Paint it fluro/reflective and have a bright flasher on the end of it. Thoughts?

Wasn't there a tradition on the West Coast to try to clip the wee "give me space" sticky-outy things (such as you're suggesting)? Didn't they suggest cycle tourists use them, but then it ended up the locals were just too 'feral' not to use them as target practice, thereby defeating the purpose of them entirely??

I'd be well wary of asking car driving western-coast based Australasians to acknowledge me as a human being on the road whilst riding a bike in the apocalyptic wastelands...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Sun 28/Sep/14 1:43pm

happybaboon wrote:Oi! Stealiing movies is what caused the apocalyptic wasteland which is present day Hollywood :hmmm:

will have to start downloading more movies :)
I <3 :love: dystopia
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby EoinC on Sun 28/Sep/14 2:32pm

You could fit some good ol' Texan Swangers, HB...
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Sun 28/Sep/14 8:52pm

swtchbckr wrote:Wasn't there a tradition on the West Coast to try to clip the wee "give me space" sticky-outy things (such as you're suggesting)? Didn't they suggest cycle tourists use them, but then it ended up the locals were just too 'feral' not to use them as target practice, thereby defeating the purpose of them entirely??

Dude, your email is so getting hacked. :o

Theres an old guy in palmy who uses one of those, and wears a long flouro raincoat regardless of weather. He's old, and still alive.

Babs, get one of these, rear light and camera combo.
http://fly6.com
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Sep/14 1:39am

Yah I saw them. I'm keen. They need to make a front one as well though. Or a helmet top camera/light combo.
Also some signs indicating that cameras are equipped. I have shit happening every ride at present. Today I got rowdy with some cunzor getting on her horn coming up behind me. I was riding ~1.5m out from parked cars (where it's sensible to be) and she had the gall to get on her horn repeatedly, despite the other lane being empty anyway. Bitch. I got back around in front of her and did a ride-slow/middle finger combo. Words were also exchanged.

Camera would be great for those ones. I'd love to report that sort of behaviour but I doubt the cops would care over here. Youtube might be interested in it though.
happybaboon

Postby MuayThaiOnABike on Mon 29/Sep/14 8:00am

Get a loud horn too...Airzound or Hornit
I love my Airzound and may buy a Hornit because it's less unwieldly

Learn a martial-art
MuayThaiOnABike
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Sep/14 7:26pm

That's an idea - a bicycle focused martial art.
One that takes advantage of things like metal cleats, teaches you to unclip fast and kick while maintaining balance :huh:

I find people daren't try shit on as I look like a white Mark Hunt. I invite the bastards to pull over and discuss things, but nobody ever does - gotta chase them, which I've only done a couple of times :(

I think the airzounds might be better - more horn-sounding. The Hornit sounds like one of those personal alarms for ladies. I looked into those police car/ambulance horns (the BRRRAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWP BRRRRRRRRAWWWWP FUCK OF OUTTA THE WAY cunzor ones) on alibaba - they weigh like 2.4kgs or more so probably inappropes :huh:
happybaboon

Postby znomit on Mon 29/Sep/14 7:33pm

happy baboon wrote: my exposed bar end

BTW, if you land on that it will make a big mess. Plug it, maybe glue some sandpaper on that to retain its usefulness.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Sep/14 7:38pm

^
Protip.
:thumbsup:
happybaboon

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 29/Sep/14 7:53pm

^ The coarse grit used on belt sanders has a tough fabric backing, a patch of that sewn onto your sleeves would protect your elbows nicely in a crash.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Sep/14 7:59pm

I'm thinking of getting one of those safety hammers with the metal spike. Stick it to the toptube with strong velcro so it's easily accessible.

For smashing holes in car windows in the event I come across an accident. Civic duty and all.
happybaboon

Postby Apache94 on Mon 29/Sep/14 9:19pm

happybaboon wrote:I'm thinking of getting one of those safety hammers with the metal spike. Stick it to the toptube with strong velcro so it's easily accessible.

For smashing holes in car windows in the event I come across an accident. Civic duty and all.

Tactical Pen?

1.Stick into car body panel
2.Release :p
Apache94
Member for: 3 years 8 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts