Postby SlackBoy on Sun 30/Dec/01 1:53am

It seems to me that there are alot and I mean a lot of people with an opinion on illegal track building in such places as Mt Vic and  (holy of holy) Tinakori Hill. Every man, sorry person and their dog, has an opinion. Yet it does seem to me that those with the largest vioces against such things often don't do any track building or maintenence themselves. And those who are doing the illegal track building tend to keep there mouths shut unless in closed circles. The loud vioces that you usually hear defending the illegal warriorstypically don't do anything themselves as well.

So to those loud vioces for and against, and thoses suffering from the excesses of Xmas and the New years still to come. I say enrol in the latest fitness craze to hit Wellington this summer (read monsoon season), Grubbing.
Tired of getting down to the bottom of a hill and your arms are pumped up, Grub for a day or 2, strengthen those chicken wings up.
Sick of all those easy albeit fun tracks in Makara Peak, Grub for a day and be part of making a track that makes delieverence look like koru (well not quite but harder anyways)
Exclusive Grubbing classes every Saturday (apart from Nationals) from 11/12 till 4. Grubbers are included, but due to limited numbers you are welcome to bring your own.
the location is the Trickle falls DH track, you have 2 entrances to chose from, if on foot come in from the bottom, go up past the falls and follow the brick track. If you are on bike, it's far far easier to come down from the top. If you stand at the top and look down towards Karori, look down into the gully opposite Zac's track (were talking top gully here) and you can't fail to see the track if you look close enuff

Come on you know you wanna.
You get 3 things
1. Increased trail karma
2. You get those lovely toned arms that gals/guys love so much
3. You also get to thumb your nose at those complaining about tracks and say "Well did you build a legal track numb nuts, NO!!, well shut the feck up then!!!!" . It'll do your soul good :D  :D  :D
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Jono on Sun 30/Dec/01 6:27am

Plus, if you design a particularly nice bit, you can name it after yourself. Or your nads. Or that girl that you really wanted to hold hands with in std 3, but your mum insisted on picking you up after school...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby Tama on Tue 8/Jan/02 1:59pm

I've heard a rumour that Mike the Hippy rode 98% of "Ricky's Track" (what Slackboy be building up Makara Peak way.)

Is that true? Is it funky? Is it safe? Is Mike the Hippy a guru or what?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 9/Jan/02 12:39am

WellI have ridden the same, but bear in mind I was on a big DH rig. Only part you can't ride is the falls, which should be rideable by saturday evening. Tehehehehe Kango Kango, Kango, w00p w00p w00p.
But it's more like 95% as there is a top section that hasn't really been ridden yet as it is still got lots of stumps, it's even hard to walk thru let alone ride thru :satan:
we got big drops, drops into corners, jumps, the odd steep bit, off camber bits, rocky bits, rooty bits, dirty bits, bermed bits, sharp bits, blunt bits, damp bits, dry bits, hard bits, really hard bits, suspension testing bits, nana lines for the really really hard bits, and it flows :D

The track is very much still under construction and if you ride down it, please bear in mind that the gorse section still has to have some wood placed on corners to stop track washoutitdness muntageness, steps still have to be added in the steep bits to help avoid ruttage, and general finishing of entire track
SlackBoy

Postby Jono on Wed 9/Jan/02 10:12am

I'm disappointed - you missed the "bits where you slam your testicles into your top tube, but after a while you start liking it" section...  :0
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 14/Jan/02 12:08am

ok so it was raining and we could'nt use the lecky kango
but Jonothan and I Mangaed to chip away somewhat sucessfully at the fall drop and it is ridable now
won't be much work on it till nafter nelson nats but then it shall be steaming well ahead
SlackBoy

Postby Burnt toast on Fri 13/Jun/03 1:32pm

Hay Ricky, did you ever finish that track??, If so what did you call it . ;)
Burnt toast
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby SamultheCamul on Fri 13/Jun/03 3:50pm

is this the track that nationals are probably gonna be on?
if so, ill pop by when im next in welly, and will scouting for the possible fastest lines, whilst grubbing :)
SamultheCamul
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby barracuda_butcher on Fri 13/Jun/03 10:59pm

hey, id be keen to help out on some track building/maintenance, but can't make it saturday because of work. can turn up and help on sundays tho .

so if anyone is keen to teach a track grom the art of "gaining track karma" speak up. then i can tidy up some of the tracks out wainui ways.
barracuda_butcher
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Cleatus on Fri 13/Jun/03 11:06pm

can sum1 please tell me wot grubbing is?

me and the palmy guys have been building a track for the last 2 months or so, we go out there about once a week with about 5 of us. its surpirsed me how long it is taking so i give full credit to you guys building trails cos its a fair bit harder than just making some lines round some trees and putting a berm or two here and there.
Cleatus
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby DropKick on Fri 13/Jun/03 11:17pm

Grubbing = clearing/removing etc, eg- thistle grubbing involves hacking a thistle out near the base, and simply removing it
I think he's meaning doing the [Dropkick] (yet important part) or track building, clearing the path in between the obstacles (fun parts to make)
big up's to slackboy etc :thumbsup:
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 14/Jun/03 12:25am

The track talked about here, is in Makara peak Mountainbike park.
It's the hardest track in the park and is called Trickle falls.
Mint mint track and well worth the grind to the top of the hill.

The tracks that we are working on at the moment are up Long Gully, DH tracks and an XC track that'll you make you go awwww thats so pretty.
Once thats done the true deviancy of my mind will once again be unleased and scary things will be built
SlackBoy

Postby splat on Sat 14/Jun/03 7:19pm

so are the working parties on at long gully or trickle falls then? :eh:
splat
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 14/Jun/03 8:21pm

SlackBoy wrote:The tracks that we are working on at the moment are up Long Gully, DH tracks and an XC track that'll you make you go awwww thats so pretty.
Once thats done the true deviancy of my mind will once again be unleased and scary things will be built

Ummmmm, Long Gully
SlackBoy

Postby K-Bizzle on Sat 14/Jun/03 10:41pm

sorry if you have said it already but slackboy is the nationals gonna be at long gulley if you hold them?
K-Bizzle
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Sifting - Latest Posts