Hydraulic Rim Brakes

Postby western-rider on Tue 10/Apr/12 8:56pm

I am thinking about getting a pair of these on my Giant CRX, the main reason is braking power, i have considered disc brakes however if you know the CRX front forks, I do not want to change the forks, I understand that the hydo rim brakes are not used by many people nowdays, can you please enlighting me as to the pros and cons of this system.
western-rider
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Hydraulic Rim Brakes

Postby dragon_style on Tue 10/Apr/12 9:38pm

I had Maguras on my mountain bike and found them much better than the v-brakes they replaced. You get a nice solid hydraulic feel, not the spongy cable feel and I think they are more powerful. Got them in about 1998, used them until that bike was destroyed by a van crashing into the bike rack, they went on to my wife's bike and until about two weeks ago were used by her.

Was about to put them on TradeMe, can send you pics if you are interested. Or if you are in Wellington you are welcome to come and have a look and a feel of the relative power.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Tue 10/Apr/12 9:42pm

I have Magura hydraulic rim brakes on my retro commuter. They work really well in the dry, but no where near as well as a disc brake in the wet...

You can still buy them new these days from places like CRC in the UK. People like Trials riders still use them.

They certainly work better than cable rim brakes.... They are a bit fiddly to set up and if you have tyres wider than the rim there is a quick release on one side of the caliper so you can take the wheel out.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby western-rider on Tue 10/Apr/12 9:51pm

keep the feedback coming,
western-rider

Postby western-rider on Tue 10/Apr/12 9:52pm

dragon_style wrote:I had Maguras on my mountain bike and found them much better than the v-brakes they replaced. You get a nice solid hydraulic feel, not the spongy cable feel and I think they are more powerful. Got them in about 1998, used them until that bike was destroyed by a van crashing into the bike rack, they went on to my wife's bike and until about two weeks ago were used by her.

Was about to put them on TradeMe, can send you pics if you are interested. Or if you are in Wellington you are welcome to come and have a look and a feel of the relative power.

thanks for the offer, I have a guy out west (auckland) who has a pair set aside for me to try out.
western-rider

Postby Bascule on Wed 11/Apr/12 6:12pm

A few years ago I fitted a set of Maguras to my '98 K2 4000 as it was too expensive to convert to discs. The Maguras are only a little more powerful than top-end V-brakes (XT, Avid Arch Rivals) but don't have the wet-weather momentary lag that V-brakes suffer from (not sure why - the main difference is that the pads on Maguras are much shorter). As the hydraulic Maguras have much more leverage than cable brakes they twist the forks legs under hard braking, so I added brake boosters - which negated the quick-release feature for removing the caliper when changing a wheel. I just got into the habit of letting the tyres down before removing the wheel and inflating it after refitting. Not a big deal really. Otherwise they were fit-and-forget items, and certainly much better than having to regularly adjust the pads on V-brakes.
Bascule
"It's not rocket science."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby western-rider on Wed 11/Apr/12 9:17pm

thank you for all your feedback...i'm sold on them now!!
western-rider

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts