Re: Hydration Queries

Postby happybaboon on Wed 19/Jun/13 2:54pm

cruiser wrote:There's a massive difference between fructose in its lab form (or corn syrup form) and fructose as a natural component of a banana.

Same chemical. Different amounts. Not a "massive difference" unless you are considering eating a banananana's weights worth of HFCS and comparing that to a banananaanna.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Wed 19/Jun/13 3:12pm

happybaboon wrote:
cruiser wrote:There's a massive difference between fructose in its lab form (or corn syrup form) and fructose as a natural component of a banana.

Same chemical. Different amounts. Not a "massive difference" unless you are considering eating a banananana's weights worth of HFCS and comparing that to a banananaanna.

You are ignoring how complex the system is. Food presented in original form has a bunch of other stuff in it that changes how the food is digested/absorbed.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 19/Jun/13 3:49pm

^that's what I meant. Digestive enzymes especially

here for example http://thyroid.about.com/library/news/blenzymes.htm
Last edited by cruiser on Wed 19/Jun/13 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby slumdog on Wed 19/Jun/13 3:50pm

cruiser wrote:"what is your cellular health likely to be like in 20-30 years?"

How the heck do you figure out what your cellular health is/will be like?

Pretty in depth discussion for my off hand warbling...
slumdog
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 19/Jun/13 3:52pm

these threads are supposed to go off topic within first page aren't they?? :D
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby piwakawaka on Wed 19/Jun/13 6:25pm

None of you should have anything but water... You all could lose some weight! :blink:
piwakawaka
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Wed 19/Jun/13 6:41pm

piwakawaka wrote:None of you should have anything but water... You all could lose some weight! :blink:

From something I read you should not even be drinking water for ultra endurance. Drinking water trains the body to sweat more... if you train/race with little water your body learns how to conserve it, so you don't lose much and you do not have to drink much :lol:

Anyway...
Trail

Postby znomit on Wed 19/Jun/13 7:30pm

Breathing is over rated too.
One good gasp every minute should be plenty.
znomit
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Ahad on Wed 19/Jun/13 11:05pm

Kiwicyclo wrote:I was taught that the food triangle was a good thing as it is. Probably pro carbists doing the teaching, look at society due to predominant carbohydrate loaded diet most of the population consume.

I don't agree with that statement. The diet us fat westerners consume is high in carbs and fat,salt, and low in fibre, fruits and vegetables. So to just blame the carbs for obesity considering fat has 2.25x the calories per gram, is selective and misleading IMO.

Personally I don't see biscuits, chips, donuts, muffins, cakes etc as carbohydrate foods(like lots of paleo people say they are) as they've got a shitload of fat(butter,oil,marg) in them along with the carbs (flour ,sugar). As ~35%(biscuits/cake) to 60%(packet chips) of the total calories comes from fat within these foods.

Carbohydrate foods are fruits,vege's(mostly fibre), starches like grains, pasta, potato's, corn, pumpkins/squash, legumes. If you eat them as mostly wholefoods without smothering them in fat/butter/oil and salt there'll be no way most of us will be able to eat enough of them to get remotely fat due to fibre content. They're also full of vitamins, and minerals unlike sucrose and HCFS

Kiwicyclo wrote:Pro carb entities will always encourage a higher dose rate, as that is what they are pushing, selling, have interest in etc. Same with this sugar is better than that sugar . . . etc etc

Paelo entities will push a lower (even no) carb, higher fat / protein mix...

Come on. It's not like the Paleo guru's haven't been cashing in on books, DVD's, supplements etc etc. This super food, that superfood. Starch is bad, but "Superstarch(tm)" is awesome etc etc. It's in their interests, as much as it can be argued the pro-carbers have, in keeping people within their respective Worldviews.
=} http://thepaleodiet.com/store/ :lol:

Anyway I can't believe that legit sport scientists(non-guru's) are sitting there skewing their results to please their "carbohydrate-pushing" Overlords.
Ahad
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 20/Jun/13 2:25am

I see no reason to eat simple carbs, aside from nombnommmmmnomnom tasty. Complex carbs ... well, they're just sort of convenient/tasty and filling, but also not really all that essential.

You do just fine on piss all carbs. In my case, I am losing weight and my asthma is better and my skin looks better having gone onto a very low carb diet (I eat the odd grapefruit, and some no sugar added chocolate, that's about it for 6 days a week). But everyone is different, and what seems to work good for me might not work well for others.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Thu 20/Jun/13 7:02am

Ahad wrote:
Kiwicyclo wrote:I was taught that the food triangle was a good thing as it is. Probably pro carbists doing the teaching, look at society due to predominant carbohydrate loaded diet most of the population consume.

I don't agree with that statement. The diet us fat westerners consume is high in carbs and fat,salt, and low in fibre, fruits and vegetables. So to just blame the carbs for obesity considering fat has 2.25x the calories per gram, is selective and misleading IMO.

Personally I don't see biscuits, chips, donuts, muffins, cakes etc as carbohydrate foods(like lots of paleo people say they are) as they've got a shitload of fat(butter,oil,marg) in them along with the carbs (flour ,sugar). As ~35%(biscuits/cake) to 60%(packet chips) of the total calories comes from fat within these foods.

Carbohydrate foods are fruits,vege's(mostly fibre), starches like grains, pasta, potato's, corn, pumpkins/squash, legumes. If you eat them as mostly wholefoods without smothering them in fat/butter/oil and salt there'll be no way most of us will be able to eat enough of them to get remotely fat due to fibre content. They're also full of vitamins, and minerals unlike sucrose and HCFS

Kiwicyclo wrote:Pro carb entities will always encourage a higher dose rate, as that is what they are pushing, selling, have interest in etc. Same with this sugar is better than that sugar . . . etc etc

Come on. It's not like the Paleo guru's haven't been cashing in on books, DVD's, supplements etc etc. This super food, that superfood. Starch is bad, but "Superstarch(tm)" is awesome etc etc. It's in their interests, as much as it can be argued the pro-carbers have, in keeping people within their respective Worldviews.

Anyway I can't believe that legit sport scientists(non-guru's) are sitting there skewing their results to please their "carbohydrate-pushing" Overlords.

Yup and it is the carbs making us fat and unhealthy, not the fat.

Knock out the carbs, you still get an abundance of fuel that you can burn not store . . . also end up eating less volume and feeling full.
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 20/Jun/13 8:59am

cruiser wrote:^that's what I meant. Digestive enzymes especially

here for example http://thyroid.about.com/library/news/blenzymes.htm

i agree with your general arguement here

but that article is full of vague uninformed horseshit dressed up in scientific terms - "toxins"
(unnamed, unmeasured) poor digestion (undefined unmeasured|) etc etc

This article written by Ron Harder, Nutritional Health Consultant, Iridologist, and Author of "How To Defeat Cancer - Naturally - without Chemo, Radiation, or Surgery".
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Thu 20/Jun/13 9:29am

Ahad wrote:

While I agree with what you say about the amount of fat in many of those carb foods there are very strong links between how easily simply sugars are turned into fat. More easily than fats and proteins are. While eating more calories than you are burning is going to make you fat, the easiest thing to turn into fat is the simple sugar. I think one of the major components to epidemic obesity is soft drinks and energy drinks that are laden with simple sugar. While the whole diet is pretty stuffed with bad nutritionally crap food the sugar loaded drinks that are cheaper than buying milk I think are the icing on the cake (ha!) that is tipping many people over the edge into fatty boombas
Trail

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 20/Jun/13 11:34am

piwakawaka wrote:None of you should have anything but water... You all could lose some weight! :blink:

But, but, <70kg, 182cm tall.. Does the Vorbcensus believe in BMI? (I don't, just asking)

*edit, did conversion wrong, only 182 tall, and chubbier as a result*
Last edited by Velocipedestrian on Thu 20/Jun/13 1:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby piwakawaka on Thu 20/Jun/13 1:14pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:

But, but, <70kg, 185cm tall.. Does the Vorbcensus believe in BMI? (I don't, just asking)

Skinny B'stard!!
piwakawaka
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Cycling | Food | Mountain Biking | Sifting - Latest Posts