Hydration Packs

Postby lubie on Tue 22/Jul/14 2:21pm

I need a new one. I'm debating the differences of the Osprey Vervevs the Camelback Trailblazer right now, mostly because the trailblazer is very much cheaper at the Bivoac outlet.
Opsrey do a slightly larger Raven but hip straps annoy me and the verve has a 'shove it' pocket.

What are y'all using to hydrate and carry when you're riding?
lubie
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Re: Hydration Packs

Postby jo on Tue 22/Jul/14 2:32pm

You can cut off the hip straps y'know. I know I did on a few of my backpacks, and I probably should on my current camelback.
Depends on how much you carry? I rarely like to leave home without a jacket for just-in-case so I need at least 10l of capacity.

I use a older Camelbak womens backpack. It looks something like http://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/camping-a ... -pack.html but without the expandable bit. Cant remember the name.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 22/Jul/14 3:10pm

Camelback Mule from a few years back. somehow got rid of any hip strap that might have been there...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 22/Jul/14 3:38pm

osprey talon 11 viper 4 for the last 2 years. Hate the size but it's well put together and comfortable to wear.

Got it thinking I'd get away with a bladder, pump, tool, levers and tube. However I've now decided it would also be nice to be able to fit a chocolate bar in also.
Last edited by dwgknz on Thu 24/Jul/14 7:16am, edited 1 time in total.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby thelivo on Tue 22/Jul/14 3:59pm

If I was buying today it would be this:

http://www.cactusequipment.co.nz/online-shop/fast-&-light/zero/82-34 plus a bladder.

Cactus gear is awesome. Simple, hardwearing.

As it happens I have two camelback lobos of different eras which are still fine so I'll wait till they die.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 22/Jul/14 4:19pm

Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 22/Jul/14 5:47pm

lubie wrote:I need a new one. I'm debating the differences of the Osprey Vervevs the Camelback Trailblazer right now, mostly because the trailblazer is very much cheaper at the Bivoac outlet.
Opsrey do a slightly larger Raven but hip straps annoy me and the verve has a 'shove it' pocket.

You realise that the Trail blazer is a childrens pack (designed to fit 9-13 year olds)?

I've used my camelbak Mule for all sorts of riding, from shuttling to Brevet and it was been good, I love the helmet stash flap thing it, not to carry a hlemt, but using a musette or similar can use it to hold much more food or kit for big days.
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby danose on Tue 22/Jul/14 5:50pm

lubie wrote:I need a new one. I'm debating the differences of the Osprey Vervevs the Camelback Trailblazer right now, mostly because the trailblazer is very much cheaper at the Bivoac outlet.

trailblazer is 15l - that's a bit on the massive side for on the bike!!

I've got a raptor 10 for riding (mens equiv of the raven) and it's got more than enough space - got it specifically because of the hip straps (cinches down better so jiggles less - got the 6l version as well for running though I now mainly use a salomon xt wings 'race vest' cos it totally eliminates jiggle) and because of the big external mesh pocket (have had camelbaks with setups similar to the 'shove it' setup on the verve - hated it cos it was never very secure).

the main reason I switched from camelbak to osprey was the outrageous price of bladder parts - things like bite valves and replacement bladders for osprey are half the price.

if you want to look at more vest type packs it's def tracking down a shop that carries ultraspire - whilst they do a lot of very running specific packs their solace makes a great all rounder (indeed it was designed first and foremost as a mtb pack) and prices on ultraspire are a lot better than salomon : http://ultraspire.com/product/solace/
Last edited by danose on Wed 23/Jul/14 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 22/Jul/14 6:11pm

thelivo wrote:
Cactus gear is awesome. Simple, hardwearing.

this
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 22/Jul/14 6:14pm

+1 for ultraspire,
another couple of brands to watch for are nathan and ultimate direction
I use both on the bike and for running, I'll probably never use my camelbak stuff again.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby JulioRiviera on Tue 22/Jul/14 7:09pm

I use a camelback volt: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/en/camelbak-volt-13-lr-hydration-pack/rp-prod117299. Transverse bladder sits low, light weight, holds plenty, separate compartment to stuff a damp jacket into, lots of pockets, etc
JulioRiviera
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Postby lubie on Wed 23/Jul/14 12:46pm

And the winner is the Raven 10. Cheers everyone :)
lubie
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Wed 23/Jul/14 12:51pm

Just remember that if it craps out Osprey have a lifetime warranty. After reviewing many packs I too went Osprey. Ended up with the Talon 11 rather than the specific bike ones because the Talons are much lighter - but it is nice having the features as well.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

General Products | Sifting - Latest Posts