Hybrid Commuter Inc2 - No Mudguards?

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/May/15 10:33am

Hi,

Just wondering why the Avanti Inc2 Hybrid/Commuter cycle doesn't come with an option of fitting mud guards?
Or does anyone know if a set of mud guards can be 'jimmied' on?

Seems strange a manufacturer offers a 'Commuter' that at is at somestage in NZ get ridden in the wet, and offers no protection to the rider from getting soaked by tyre water wash.

Or is there a 'clip-on' temporary mud guard available?
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Re: Hybrid Commuter Inc2 - No Mudguards?

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 23/May/15 10:47am

There are a vast range of mud guards, I'm sure that you will find something that will fit the bike you are looking at. You can also on most bikes use "P Clips" to mount accessories like mud guards to bikes without braze ons.

You might be best to talk to the bike shop that you are looking at buying the bike from, they should be able to offer you a range of guard options, if not maybe look at going to another bike shop that has more stock, or staff who have more experience with setting up commuter bikes
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/May/15 1:35pm

Yeah thought as much, asked the question to a shop online. They came back just saying no, mudguards can't be fixed on.
Suppose I got a junior sales person who knows nothing or not prepared to put the extra work to offer suggestions.

P Clips....I'll take a look, thanks.
bikedog

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 31/May/15 6:32pm

bikedog wrote:Yeah thought as much, asked the question to a shop online. They came back just saying no, mudguards can't be fixed on.
Suppose I got a junior sales person who knows nothing or not prepared to put the extra work to offer suggestions.

P Clips....I'll take a look, thanks.

No no no. What you need is to find a more junior salesthing who will quote you an extra $30 for fitted mudguards. That way you are buying a solution not a bunch of parts. When they later crack because the junior mech made the same mistake as you would have and fitted them under stress or whatever, it is the shop's problem to fix not yours.
Or if their mech doesn't want to fit them, you should respect his judgement and abandon the idea of making that guard and bike combination work.

Remember a front guard can smash your teeth into the road if anything goes wrong, you can't be dodgy with them.

Compact frames have the rear stays lower and further forward than trad frames so it may help to have a fixed rear carrier to support and protect the rear guard. You'll need the carrier for serious #Quaxing anyway.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby bikedog on Sun 12th Mar 4:45am

The Inc 2 has Weinmann APT-18 Double-wall Alloy 36H rims. Wots a good all round tire that can be fitted to this rim? Want a tire with a little grip when the road and footpath runs out and I have to take to the grass verge. The skinny things it came with just dig in and are hopeless.
bikedog

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 12th Mar 8:35pm

bikedog wrote:The Inc 2 has Weinmann APT-18 Double-wall Alloy 36H rims. Wots a good all round tire that can be fitted to this rim? Want a tire with a little grip when the road and footpath runs out and I have to take to the grass verge. The skinny things it came with just dig in and are hopeless.

:( You forgot the bit about 'Thanks guys for taking the time to think about and type out some advice for me' :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby bikedog on Mon 13th Mar 6:00pm

Your wife said she'd do it for me.
bikedog

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 13th Mar 8:36pm

seems bloody pointless selling a 'communter' bike with no mudguards. why even bother?

you should just get this
http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling ... 132888.htm
looks pretty well equipped and, well, equipped.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 13th Mar 9:48pm

bikedog wrote:Your wife said she'd do it for me.

Choose your tyres?
Fit them for you?
Thank the folks for the advice after almost two years?

Be specific.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby bikedog on Thu 16th Mar 8:06pm

Velocipedestrian counting the years as he slows down, as we speed up!....
bikedog

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 16th Mar 9:01pm

bikedog wrote:Velocipedestrian counting the years as he slows down, as we speed up!....

I don't comprehend your youthful lingo, beyond this being intended as an insult.
Is an insult from an idiot a compliment?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 16th Mar 9:28pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
bikedog wrote:Velocipedestrian counting the years as he slows down, as we speed up!....

I don't comprehend your youthful lingo, beyond this being intended as an insult.
Is an insult from an idiot a compliment?

I'd take it as the latter :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 16th Mar 11:00pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Is an insult from an idiot a compliment?

:lol:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby bikedog on Sat 18th Mar 10:05am

Velcrostrip advising he needs some help there to work this out.
bikedog

Postby Conners on Sat 18th Mar 12:19pm

bikedog wrote:The Inc 2 has Weinmann APT-18 Double-wall Alloy 36H rims. Wots a good all round tire that can be fitted to this rim? Want a tire with a little grip when the road and footpath runs out and I have to take to the grass verge. The skinny things it came with just dig in and are hopeless.

You should talk to this guy - he's got a similar problem.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts