Postby wachtourak on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:16pm

I don't have a mo, I do have a beer gut though

I like V8 Supercars

SteveO's posts are about as funny as his one about NZ Sprint car racers de-tuning their engines
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Steve-O on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:27pm

The cars are toned down for certain tracks. Rob Garret who has his car worked on by my father has said so. 2002 Maxim chassis running a Rodex engine. downtune for short small tracks such as Palmerston North, a shit load of wheelspin turns into no grip. Remember these cars are direct drive, no gearbox so the only way to dull them down is playing with engine.

De-tune the cars to transfer power into grip more productively gives you faster lap times. I dare say Rob Garret knows what he talking about. You dont drive a sprintcar so you can't speak from experience.
Steve-O
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:33pm

lolocaust
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Steve-O on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:41pm

Intelligent response. The kind that is expected when the most prestegious motorsport you can see is the V8 supercars.
Steve-O

Postby wachtourak on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:43pm

look at me im a motorsport intellectual
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:51pm

Um. Steve: you are being baited.

Quite successfully, too.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Steve-O on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:56pm

Yup and proud of it. Theres a few others on the site too who know their stuff. When you have been around it all your life and involved in it, you have a little more appreciation for it unlike the "satuday afternoon TV motorsport know it all"
Steve-O

Postby Steve-O on Wed 21/Feb/07 3:59pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote: Um. Steve: you are being baited.

Quite successfully, too.

Yeah i know ;)
I have time on my hands haha
Steve-O

Postby Vinnie on Wed 21/Feb/07 4:07pm

Steve-O wrote: Intelligent response. The kind that is expected when the most prestegious motorsport you can see is the V8 supercars.

The is the kind of response I expect to see from someone who believes that Formula1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, and can't see through the bullshit that goes along with F1.

And as for your earlier response of V8's not being real motorsport as its family wagons with roll cages, and your comparison to the European series, have you looked at half of what those cars are used for in real life, and similarities between what happens in the V8's and the European Touring Car events?

V8's - yep, heavily modified cars in their original shell, just like most touring cars for any event. Very close racing, with lots of door to door racing on varying tracks.

DTM - C Class is a family sports sedan, the Vectra and the A4 are Sedan's. Obviously the TT isn't, but its one in a class of four different cars. Highly modified cars. The TT doesn't even look like a TT anymore.

The old BTCC was ALL family sedans (S40, A4, Accord, Vectra, Primera, 3 Series) with roll cages bolted in. Same problem as the V8's though - modified cars in their original shell, although not as extremely modified as the V8's.

Then there's the following two series, which due to the corruptness shouldn't even be looked at as a 'good' example!:

The FIA GT series have at least real sports cars to begin with. But it is still a class that is run in slightly different formats all over the world though, the others more successfully run than the original - and the racing isn't close, its very rule bound, and has been proven to have the rules changed regularly to provide advantage where it seems best for the people running it.

Formula 1 = crap. The cars aren't real, as in you can't go buy one. To me, being able to buy a production vehicle of the track going car is one of the most appealing things. I pick a loyalty (like Nissan in the BTCC) and then if I want to, I can go and buy a (scaled down) road version of the car. In F1 this isn't possible. Its also subject to rule changes, and the whim of a grumpy old bugger sitting at the top who seems to change his mind about what seems fit every 10 seconds. The racing is boring, unimaginative and not even close to even. There is nothing worse than watching the same person/team win 90% of the races in a season.

Infact the only thing that the FIA does seem to run succesfully is the WRC.

So what European series should the V8's be looking at again?
Vinnie
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 21/Feb/07 4:10pm

Old BTCC was an awesome series. Lots of crashes. Julain Bailey putting Will Hoy onto his roof was particularly memorable
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Steve-O on Wed 21/Feb/07 4:20pm

Old BTCC was good, true that. I worded the post about "the european series" wrongly now i read it. I was more meaning the driving styles, how they attack, pass, slingshoot, tail. When i watch the V8's it just seems everything they do is so predictable.
Pass on a straight or in easy corners. The other drivers in classes such as Porsche GT3 and Formula Renault seem to make so much more happen in a race. The fights for even the top 8 poitions are so fierce between drivers and it lasts until the chequered flag. Passing in places where it's 50/50 and slingshot passed on outside of corners in the marbles, loads of rub-rub and swapping fenders(GT3). Exciting racing.
My image of classes such as GT3 drivers - hungry as hell for a win, and will scrap it bitterly till the end. The V8's just seem to not have the hungry for the win instinct.
Steve-O

Postby Robbie on Wed 21/Feb/07 4:32pm

Vinnie wrote: doubt Toyota would ever enter the WRC again after that fiasco.

Umm what the Toyota Team did was not a clever application of the rules, they deliberately designed and built a unique complex device to cheat a fundemental rule.

In the WRC all the turbo cars have an inlet restrictor to limit aiflow and hence power.

This reduced power from perhaps over 600 hp from 1400cc inthe old Group B to a little over 300hp from 2000cc..
It also means power gains come from efficiency and good engineering, rather than a bit more boost.

The Toyota Team built a spring loaded collar that allowed the air to flow around the restrictor and add more power. The likely gain was in the order of 20% according to FIA airflow tests at the time. It was because of the blatant premeditated cheat that Toyota were given such a stiff penalty ( a ban for a year)

Toyota did come back the year after with a Corolla, which was in fact a better WRC car ( shorter, lighter, less weight on the nose, more downthrust)

:crazy:
Robbie
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts