How do you ride?

I ride with my dominant foot forward all the time and haven't thought about this before
No votes
I ride with my dominant foot forward and drop my outside foot down on smooth corners to make me fast like a Ferrari
13%
I ride with either foot forward and don't have a preference in corners
No votes
I ride with my dominant foot forward(with or without my outside foot down on smooth corners) and have tried to ride ambidextrously, but its too hard
13%
I learnt how to ride ambidextrously, but found it wasn't worth the effort and have gone back to riding with my dominant foot forward
No votes
I ride with my outside foot forward on rough ground/corners and my outside foot down on smooth corners, it makes me a ridiculously styley rider
31%
I don't believe in riding technique, I ride foot out, flat out with heaps of back brake round the corners
44%

Total voters : 16

Re: How Do You Ride Your Bike?

Postby Conners on Sun 12/Apr/15 10:20pm

laworder wrote:I dont even know which is my dominant foot, have never given it any thought

Regards
Peter

Stand with your feet together. Close your eyes. Have someone give you a shove in the back -needs to be hard enough to make you fall forward. Your dominant foot is the one you put out to stop yourself falling on your face.
I think it is also the foot that you naturally use to kick a ball with - although I could be wrong.

I ride with my dominant forward back pretty much all the time. Outside foot goes down on flat corners.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 12/Apr/15 10:27pm

Farm wrote:
KieranC wrote:Nah, the pole is already too big :huh:

You have no idea how often I hear that.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you're yet to hear that.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Orphan on Sun 12/Apr/15 11:52pm

Dominant back, outside down around corners.

Though I have been trying a lot harder to be ambi-thingamy whilst riding. It does feel a little weird but is making for more versatile riding as you never know when you're going to get caught mid pedal stroke on the mega tech stuff. You know, like jump off curbs and such.
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 13/Apr/15 12:24am

67% ride bikes like m@d cunzors. YFY.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Kev on Mon 13/Apr/15 5:55am

A 2nd vote in the "wut" column. I have tried to remember what position my feet are in when cornering and, for the life of me, I can't.
I guess that just means I need to get out and ride more :blush:
Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby phunk on Mon 13/Apr/15 11:35am

Orphan wrote:Dominant back, outside down around corners.

Same here, I wasnt really aware of it but took note of what I was doing on Sunday's ride which meant I stuffed up alot cos I was too busy thinking about where my feet were.

Also note: do not huck off Rods drop to impress walkers as landing at the bottom is rather sketchy.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Orphan on Mon 13/Apr/15 7:11pm

Then you're just not hucking it proper. :-)

But wait.... the gate is open again?
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Mon 13/Apr/15 7:55pm

I always ride.dominant foot to the rear.

I also have a massive problem with right-hand switchbacks, just can't ride 'em. I have recently discovered that riding them dominant foot forward makes them way easier. Something about being able to unclip the inside foot easier for quick dab I think.or easier to drop the outside pedal.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby KieranC on Mon 13/Apr/15 8:06pm

It's definitely the key to unlocking happy turns :thumbsup:
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 15/Apr/15 9:29am

I keep seeing people on mountainbikes coasting down the road with their cranks at 12 & 6 o' clock.

Is this a roadie thing? Is it just all those years of being a grubby dirt rider that make me wince when I see this?

Is there some magical performance benefit to be gained by use of this aesthetically revolting technique?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby dwgknz on Wed 15/Apr/15 9:40am

Velocipedestrian wrote:I keep seeing people on mountainbikes coasting down the road with their cranks at 12 & 6 o' clock.

Is this a roadie thing? Is it just all those years of being a grubby dirt rider that make me wince when I see this?

Is there some magical performance benefit to be gained by use of this aesthetically revolting technique?

I reckon I probably do this when coasting on the road after a ride, lets you stretch out and takes a lot of weight off your legs.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 15/Apr/15 10:10am

Velocipedestrian wrote:I keep seeing people on mountainbikes coasting down the road with their cranks at 12 & 6 o' clock.

Its a super advanced technique you obviously dont understand.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby EoinC on Wed 15/Apr/15 10:18am

Conners wrote:
laworder wrote:I dont even know which is my dominant foot, have never given it any thought

Regards
Peter

Stand with your feet together. Close your eyes. Have someone give you a shove in the back -needs to be hard enough to make you fall forward. Your dominant foot is the one you put out to stop yourself falling on your face...

Thanks for that. I now have a broken nose after both of my feet were too polite to go in front of the other.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby phunk on Wed 15/Apr/15 10:42am

I think its much more important to look up the trail further and to point your hips where you want to go while leaning the bike into corners with your inside hand. Your feet will then follow.

Its all in the hips.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby mfw on Wed 15/Apr/15 11:58am

phunk wrote:I think its much more important to look up the trail further and to point your hips where you want to go while leaning the bike into corners with your inside hand. Your feet will then follow.

Its all in the hips.

That's also what the internet said when I checked :D
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts