How Singlespeed Friendly Is The Denniston Plateau?

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 20/Jul/09 9:13am

Heading up there this weekend, and the Cotic has a creaky bottombracket (and i may not have time to take a look at it before departure), so was wondering how steep the steeps (if any) are on the Denniston trails?

Also hitting up Hanmer on the way back, how low is the snow?

Chur.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: How Singlespeed Friendly Is The Denniston Plateau?

Postby DogsBollocks on Mon 20/Jul/09 9:33am

Was in Hanmer last weekend and the snowline was about 1/2 way up Jacks. The trails are clear and in reasonable nick but some of the shaded areas are pretty frozen. Father in law lives there and said the weather has been pretty settled the last week so go to it !
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Mon 20/Jul/09 9:55am

Denniston is all sweet on a SS. A local rider single speeds Denniston. Most of it is sandstone based so very grippy when hammering up the steeps on a single speed.
Tim Sikma tells me he is around this weekend to guide people around Denniston to show the local secret single tracks. Track conditions all good like normal due to sandstone surface. Tim might have some accommodation as well in the 3 berth bike shed that he lives in.

chuck me a pm if you want his contact details.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 20/Jul/09 10:09am

Trail wrote:chuck me a pm if you want his contact details.

have done
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Nick_K on Mon 20/Jul/09 11:04am

Keen to hear how you get on. Would love to czech out Denniston at sometime. Looks really interesting.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Mon 20/Jul/09 11:09am

Nick_K wrote:Keen to hear how you get on. Would love to czech out Denniston at sometime. Looks really interesting.

There is some very cool history there, and it is a very different landscape. To get the most of your experience there, get contact details for the guy who has been instrumental in making the trails happen, Tim Sikma. He is always keen to show people around and can explain a lot of the history at the same time.

Great place for a winter trip as that is when the weather is calmer and sunnier. The sandstone surface does mean it can be ridden rain or shine tho!
Trail

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 20/Jul/09 12:50pm

from the look of the longrange friday and saturday (especially) look like they could be alright! yay!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Kazmeistyr on Mon 20/Jul/09 1:06pm

Make sure you go to the Denniston Museum, look at the big-arse lump of coal, take note of the stand (made from old railway sleepers) that I made and marvel at it's beautiful craftmanship.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 20/Jul/09 2:03pm

hmmm... just been lookign at the excellent guides provided by cyclebuller, and now i'm wondering which are the best ones!

The Drill Track circuit looks like a nice wee blat...

actually, of the combinations, the first one and the last two look interesting...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 20/Jul/09 3:53pm

'nother question... 'Trail', you mentioned Tim would be keen to guide people. is that the kind of 'guiding' they do down in Alex, ie, for $$$? or is he just a keen as rider happy to go for a strop?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Trail on Mon 20/Jul/09 3:57pm

swtchbckr wrote:'nother question... 'Trail', you mentioned Tim would be keen to guide people. is that the kind of 'guiding' they do down in Alex, ie, for $$$? or is he just a keen as rider happy to go for a strop?

Sorry, I should have said "show people the trails". He loves riding his bike and loves showing people the trails he has created up there without the need for $$, although might appreciate a beer afterwards :thumbsup:
Trail

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 20/Jul/09 4:30pm

sweet as. beer is good.

Well, i've flicked him an email, so will wait and see.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Sickman on Tue 21/Jul/09 11:35pm

Kazmeistyr wrote:Make sure you go to the Denniston Museum, look at the big-arse lump of coal, take note of the stand (made from old railway sleepers) that I made and marvel at it's beautiful craftmanship.

Will check it out next time I am up there and the museum is open.

It is a shame that the people who run the Museum do not put up a sign on the driveway to indicate where it is. They only put a sign out when they are open. There is some cool machinery stuff lying around the museum to see when it is not open.
Sickman
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts