Re: How Often Do You Crash?

Postby northernmonkey on Tue 23/Mar/10 10:13pm

Have the odd little spill most times I go out, only pretty minor though, haven't had a proper off, involving plaster casts and bedrest for a while though. Last time I had a decent hug of a douglas fir and ended up with a couple of broken ribs and knocked myself out cold, was on my own too so thats made me a bit more cautious when riding alone. I ride on my own alot because I like the solitude (if I wanted to be around people I'd go to the pub) but if your wanting to learn and improve you really need to get out with other folk, then you can crash to your hearts content.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby fatwombat on Tue 23/Mar/10 10:14pm

Back in a previous century, in the days before the war, when I was road racing, the general thinking was "If you don't have one major crash a year, then you're not training hard enough". The logic isn't that you get training benefit from crashing, but that if you want to race to win, you need to ride to the very limits of your ability, and to do that you need to know what those limits are. if you never crash, you are never exceeding your abilities, which means you are always riding beneath your potential.

I think this theory makes a lot of sense if: (1) you are young enough to be able to bounce without breaking too badly, and to heal fairly quickly when you do damage yourself; AND (2) if you are training to race to win.

If you're an ordinary mortal who just rides primarily to have fun or to keep fit, then there isn't much training value in having crashes. They usually happen whether we need them or not and we can learn from them, but it's cheaper and less painful to learn without them!

I think MTB riding is more crash-prone, just because the terrain is more difficult, bike speeds are generally slower so the bikes are less stable. On the other hand, the crashes are more likely to be softer because there is a lot of give in dirt and branches compared to tarmac. Having said that, I did have a spill on Nikau Valley that needed 6 months of physio before I had full feeling in my hip and thigh; and my lower back has never got back to being quite as straight as it was before Karapoti 2009. :blush:

You don't specify what you mean by a crash - are you meaning any time you fall over because your foot won't unclip or you bumped into a rock going slow; or do you mean just the full-on "over the bars and down the cliff, oooh that'll be a new front wheel" events?
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 24/Mar/10 8:44am

When I was DHing a lot I would have a lie down about once or twice a month I guess, not usually major ragdoll through the tree's incidents, just wee OTB's or a WTF Im lying on the ground! :)

But I am old, mostly broken anyway, and not very bouncy so I dont like crashing! :crazy:

If Im riding the ASX on some nice trail somewhere then I dont push things, and I dont think Ive ever actually come off the ASX anyway. :paranoid:
I have ridden off the track and over some fairly retarded things though, I seem to have a knack of not crashing and riding it out, much to my own amusement and the amazement of onlookers! :thumbsup: :lol:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby grahamt on Wed 24/Mar/10 9:46am

I normally crash after I tell people I never crash
grahamt
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby wuffy on Wed 24/Mar/10 10:23am

I rode of a cliff once, literally..... :huh:

Down the track of the last GC race, after the A-frame, going parrallel to the fence, my wheel slipped out, and that rocky section is pretty much a cliff, I rode straight off it :cry: nothing damaged except a totally raped hayes 9 lever that took all the impact from the bike when I bailed into some rocks. Quite lucky really.

Is it just me or am I the most accident prone rider on vorb?
wuffy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby catmannz on Wed 24/Mar/10 11:34am

wuffy wrote:
Is it just me or am I the most accident prone rider on vorb?

I have the experience of 7 broken wrists, broken ribs, cracked spine, and skull fracture that suggests otherwise :blush:

Needless to say I'm not a fan of crashing anymore. And if that means I'm not pushing my limits then I can live with that.

The older you get the slower the healing :angry:
catmannz
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Wed 24/Mar/10 11:36am

wuffy wrote:I rode of a cliff once, literally..... :huh:

Down the track of the last GC race, after the A-frame, going parrallel to the fence, my wheel slipped out, and that rocky section is pretty much a cliff, I rode straight off it :cry: nothing damaged except a totally raped hayes 9 lever that took all the impact from the bike when I bailed into some rocks. Quite lucky really.
Lucky you didn't lose an arm! :o
Oli
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 24/Mar/10 12:02pm

I go through spats of crashing, last time i was in vegas i had 4 relatively large offs
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby mtbLisa on Wed 24/Mar/10 12:21pm

Not often, I'm too careful (translate: slow) and if I do, it's usually one of those awkward ones where I can't clip out in time or something..
mtbLisa
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 24/Mar/10 2:43pm

i too tend to crash after i say i never crash.

i find over months, my riding gets better and better, i get faster and faster, clean harder and harder stuff, annnnd then crash. like i'm getting closer and closer to some line, or 'the edge', and then eventually topple over it. which puts me back from it for a while (ie, recovery, lumps receding, scabs getting hard and flaking off), after which i get faster and faster again.

but, of late, i'm really put off the idea of crashing. work, kids, life, just dont fit the pain anymore. that said, i've usually got at least one lump or scrape on me. tend to just have smaller offs now. or reeeaaalllly close calls that i survive miraculously unscathed from.

nearly took out a guy on the crocodile last night. our wheels (my front, his rear, his front my rear) actually met, my bike lying over me leaning waaay away from the dude. had me amped later.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 24/Mar/10 3:09pm

Somewhat ironically I feel off the back of my bike yesterday afternoon. Good bruise and gouge in my inner thigh from seat too. But I didn't fall off. Does that count?
Methinks Larsen TT's aren't suited to highspeed ruts.
mudguard
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 24/Mar/10 4:44pm

mudguard wrote:Methinks Larsen TT's aren't suited to highspeed ruts.

hmmm... im interested to hear that. i've been looking at them of late. yours the 2.35? or the 2.0's? quite keen on a set of the big ones...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 24/Mar/10 4:50pm

2.35 super tackys. They are a really good tire though. It's just got really dry and they don't quite have the bite of the highrollers on firm surfaces. But I've been genuinely impressed with them. Bit lighter and faster rolling, good on almost all surfaces. No flats. And they wear reasonably too.
Seem to be quite an under rated tire!
mudguard
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Wed 24/Mar/10 6:18pm

no... I do push myself. but I only end up being extremely close to crashing but miraculously never seem to actually fall off..
just wondered if thats normal or if i'm lucky.. .but judging from your experiences I say I am pretty lucky...
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts